Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Talk me off the ledge…

Lethe
Lethe Member Posts: 125
100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

It’s been a day! And I’d just been saying how calm and stable things currently felt. Should have kept my mouth shut. Here are the days highlights…

Filled the dogs water bowl in the bathroom but left it in the sink with the water running. I didn’t notice till two hours later.
Asked him to “pick the tomatoes” and he pulled them all up by their roots.
Left the gate open so neighbor rang doorbell to say “dogs are out”. AGAIN

I could keep going but you get the idea…

This is how most of the day went until tonight. He asked me to help use his phone to call a friend. I did and he left a voicemail. Not two minutes later he asks again and I say •you just left him a voicemail”. He says I want to talk to him and insists I call again. It goes right to voicemail again and with the voicemail running he is screaming at me “I don’t want voice mail. I want to talk to him.”
Sigh…I tried for half a minute to explain how a phone works and then I remembered that won’t get me anywhere. Can’t reason with a broken reasoner. But today was exhausting and something tipped the balance with my patience today. It was so hard. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Comments

  • El1942
    El1942 Member Posts: 23
    Fifth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    God love you! Days like that are the worst!! Different events and behaviors here, caring for my DH, but when you get a sequence of them in a short timespan it feels to hard to bear. Be brave, hopefully it will pass for a time and you can rest a bit. Love and hope sent your way.

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    i hear you loud and clear Lethe, don't think I can talk you off the ledge……..think I'm getting on it with you!! It's horrible but the tomato plants made me laugh thank you for that. My DH is past being able to understand any request at all. Hang in there, tomorrow is a new day.

  • CharlieS
    CharlieS Member Posts: 35
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lethe, ditto. Some days are better than others, but they all are emotionally draining. As the saying goes, keep calm and carry on. As much as possible. And don’t beat yourself up if you blow your stack once in awhile. We’re only human.

  • Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 296
    250 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    💜

  • rockymtngrrl
    rockymtngrrl Member Posts: 25
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member
    edited September 11

    I hear your frustration! Can you put a latch on the gate that he can't open, or the thingy that makes it swing shut after you? That might help with the dogs, because it is more than just an annoyance since you have to go round them up. I am trying to figure out what causes me the most aggravation and ways to fix it.

    My LO is starting to refill the dog water with a cup, so I have to remember to refill with fresh water or it's full of hair and dirt. I ask him to get the butter out and I get the deer-in-headlights look. I have figured out the tv, so the "smart" TV only goes to Xfinity when you turn it on. These little things help. The TV had me stuck here because I had to get out the complicated remote (xfi has a simpler one, tg! ), and find the xfi feed. Tomorrow I am leaving him and the dog overnight to visit my sisters three hours away. My neighbor is looking out for him but he'll be fine.

  • Cutiesmom
    Cutiesmom Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Member

    Great saying, "Can't reason with a broken reasoner."

  • Lethe
    Lethe Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more