Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A Petulant Child

its me who feels like a petulant child not my DH who, I really adore. I am so tired of trying constantly and doing constantly, being creative where I can and trying to find solutions,It's so very frustrating and exhausting. I am still trying to have a life for us within the boundaries of dementia. I am trying various Carers for a few hours a week, DH won't have anything to do with any of them; he now shuffles when we ‘walk’ and we have a lovely new wheelchair which he won't sit in, so walking is out; he cannot walk around a shopping centre so that is out; he refuses to sit in the garden lounge so I can be in the garden; his aphasia is so bad there is no longer any conversation just bad temper; he cannot understand the news on TV or the radio so silence is the go; he can no longer swallow his pills so until we can see the doctor again I have got gummies but will need liquid medication. I feel frustrated and find I am short tempered and have to hold it in. The life of trying goes on and on and I'm tired like the rest of us. Thanks for the rant.

Comments

  • CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 785
    1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Big, big hugs.

  • Bowerbird
    Bowerbird Member Posts: 97
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    I get you. This all sounds so familiar. My DH is now in a care home, so I do not have to deal with the day to day of this, but when I visit, it is pretty much the same thing. He loves to go out on rides, usually stopping for ice cream or lunch. He always wants to go "somewhere else," like a store, but will not use a wheelchair, so that is out.

    I'm sorry I have no suggestions for you, but I feel the frustration you have.

  • wose
    wose Member Posts: 435
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    You nailed it Biggles. So so tired of trying. I try so hard too and all I get is grunts and smacks. My DH is losing his words at a rapid pace except for the bad ones. I don’t ask for or want anything but a kind word or a hug but that hasn’t been for many years. So we continue onward because giving up is not an option. We create a peaceful, safe and loving environment all at our own expense. It’s who you are @Biggles…an amazing person and caregiver and it shows in your words and actions. Don’t beat yourself up, you don’t deserve it. Warm hugs a cup of tea and for sure a nice leisurely day in that lovely garden 💕💙

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 817
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Better to rant here than hold it all in. I hope it helps to know we’re listening and understanding how you feel. Hugs! 🫂

  • Lethe
    Lethe Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I hear you… “trying and doing” ….

    It IS exhausting so give your inner “petulant child” some grace.

  • Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 544
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Hang in there, Biggles. This, too shall pass…what it shall become remains to be seen. We cannot control this process and we just do the best that we can. Maybe the life that you think you should still be able to have just isn't possible anymore. Your LO's limitations are forcing you into somewhere you might not like to go, but what choice do you have? You love him. I get the petulant child bit. If only a good cry would make everything feel better. This caretaking is all about sacrifice, sacrifice and more sacrifice. Keeping you in my prayers this morning.

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you wise, what an amazing group of knowledgeable caring people. You are right, we are here, because we are here, and can never give up. That cup of tea is sounding very good. :)

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 350
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Oh Biggles, I feel your pain. I am lucky in that my wife is usually not hostile but otherwise everyday is a struggle just to get to 8pm when I finally get her down for the night. Total aphasia, doesn’t even look at a tv, on her feet most of the time. Constant verbalization - this is the worst part. There’s times where I completely lose it when I’m tired or have something else on my mind and I cant get her to stand still so I can clean her up after toileting. It’s a mess. The only way I’m getting through this is basically 3 things. One, I have a helper who’s been with us for a year now. She comes several days a week for 4 hours a day. Just find one you like (don’t worry about hubby) and stick with them. They will become part of the family. Two, hospice. You gotta have them. And three - meds. We are basically in a pseudo sedation state. For both her comfort and mine we can get a nap in midday most days and it helps to wind down in the evening.

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thankyou persevere wise words especially the helper. We have just started down that track and I think I was doing it the wrong way. After your wise words I’ll change tack, I’ll find the Carer that I like and is generally compatible with DH and just use them so they become part of the ‘family’. Comforting approach.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more