has anyone experienced this?
Generally, when I post it is not positive. For about a week my mother has been cognizant, has not been frantically looking for either "mother" or her deceased sister. When that gets too intense we have had to medicate her. She has only gotten up once or twice during the night. Is not sleeping 20 hours a day. It is almost like she does not have dementia. Much as I enjoy and appreciate this and do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. This dramatic change makes me wonder at point will the switch flip again? Has anyone else experienced this? Nothing in the house has changed. I am enjoying this for as long as it lasts.
Thanks for listening.
Comments
-
Hi @Grenah i haven’t experienced anything as extreme, but definitely there are ebbs and flows with dementia, sometimes quite jarring. Enjoy it, but don’t be surprised when the switch flips again. that’s the only downside. It will upset you all over again when her symptoms return.
My mom is in late stage dementia but sometimes I’ll ask a question and she’ll answer and I swear it feels like she is RIGHT THERE with me in the present. It freaks me out. That is normal.
One of the the staff at her MC saw the reaction on my face one day and said “I know, that’s how it is…there are moments like that!”It’s ok. Enjoy the respite. It’s a marathon not a sprint.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help