Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Odd Mirror Behavior

Today I found my DW having a full-on conversation with herself in front of a large mirror we have. She has some aphasia so I could only understand a few words here and there. She was asking questions, seemed to answer or respond, smiling, making facial expressions, laughing, and hand motions. Looking directly in the mirror. It went on for about 15 minutes or so until she noticed me and walked my way. Very weird to see.

I know PWD can get to the point where they don't recognize themselves and I don't think this was a hallucination. Was wondering if others have experienced similar and if it foreshadowed a change.

Comments

  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 1,246
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    I haven’t experienced that, but I know that my husband no longer recognizes himself in photographs.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My DW has done this many times in the past. She just goes on and on with a conversation. She also will stand 6 inches from the tv and talk to the people on there. She seems to enjoy the interaction so I just let her enjoy it.

  • ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 600
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited September 22

    It's very common. Be happy she gets along with the person in the mirror! Sometimes they need to be covered when it's an issue.

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 350
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My wife, who also has total aphasia, will acknowledge herself in the mirror sometimes. But one of the funniest moments was when my helper noticed a nose tip and lip prints - she had evidently given herself a kiss.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    I never saw my sister talk to a mirror or a TV, but she would often talk to people in photos. The weirdest thing I saw was when she'd talk to a photo of me, even though I was sitting right next to her. Then she'd turn and talk to the me who was sitting right there in front of her. That started right around stage 6 and lasted until she got to stage 7. It was kind of freaky, but I just rolled with it so as not to upset her.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    OMG 😂😂😂😂😂

    Gotta love the few times we can laugh

  • Timmyd
    Timmyd Member Posts: 425
    500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    DW is stage 6 and has been talking to the mirror in her bathroom for some time now. The conversation is pleasant but does not make much sense (to me). I let her do her thing. Sometimes I wonder if the mirror is a distraction and the cause of some urinary incontinence accidents. Sometimes she gets to the bathroom, starts talking to the mirror and then has the accident without ever sitting on the toilet.

  • ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 600
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    Sometimes a mirror in the bathroom can contribute to issues with resistance to showering, etc. They think there are other people or strangers in the bathroom and become uncooperative. Always worth covering the mirror when those issues arise to see if it helps.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like it is nothing to be concerned with. I'll just let her have at it.

    And thanks for the laugh @persevere.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more