Some Days it Just Feels Like Too Much, and then. . .
. . . and then I remember this quote from St. Francis of Assisi (which fortuitously came up in my weekly planner this week):
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
I try to remember this when everything that I think I HAVE to do on any given day seems like too much. I have always been an over-achiever so I have to take a deep breath and ask myself, "what is absolutely necessary today? Focus only on those things. . . everything else can wait a day or two!"
And switching to that mindset became so helpful to me and helps me get through some really bad days and helps me be much more patient with my LO, because suddenly I don't see all the "unexpected stuff that happens" as small sabotages to getting my daily To Do list done. Instead it helps me be less controlling and more able to "roll with it".
St. Francis was a wise human being - not only just for his love of animals. :-)
Comments
-
Thank you - very helpful!
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help