Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Young-Onset ALZ Support in Bend, Oregon

Hello to everyone out there. If you’re reading this, odds are you are living the nightmare of ALZ or dementia in some form, as am I. My sincere thoughts are with you all.

I’m reaching out with the hope of connecting with someone locally in Bend, Oregon who may also have a wife with Young Onset Alzheimer’s. My wife and I are 56. Far too young to be dealt this blow, but we’re navigating the challenges. My wife has met another woman in a similar situation and they cherish the time on phone calls, but her new friend is on the other side of the country. What I would really appreciate is finding a female friend in Bend in a similar situation who she could spend time with in-person and possibly more often than the occasional phone call. There are limited support groups in Central Oregon, but the ones that exist seem to be predominantly older folks. Please take no offense. I understand this sucks for everyone, but right now, where she’s at in the early stages, she will do much better with a youger companion to confide in. I’m guessing this could be a win-win if a good mutual bond could be formed.

Thanks for your time and please reach out if you think this may be a good fit for you and your partner. I’m not familiar with this app and if I’ll be notified of a response, so I’ll try to check back often.

Thanks again!
Glen & Shanna

Comments

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,944
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @glencamuso

    Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here but pleased you found this place.

    I can totally appreciate wanting to find someone closer in age to your DW as a friendship built on mutual experiences (like the era in which they grew up for instance) will be more authentic. Two places you might explore would be the local support groups/memory cafes— you might find a spouse in a similar situation. Another thought would be to reach out to a social worker at office where she was diagnosed (assuming a memory practice) to see if they could help you find someone nearby.

    HB

  • Bowerbird
    Bowerbird Member Posts: 98
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    Welcome @glencamuso This is a great group to connect with in starting your journey. Everyone here is with very empathetic and knowledgeable.

    In case you are unaware, there is a discussion group here on ALZConnected for those with younger onset ALZ. Perhaps there will be someone there who is closer to your city or state. Even if they are not, the group itself will provide a lot of support to your LO and you.

    https://alzconnected.org/categories/i-have-younger-onset-alzheimers

  • glenc
    glenc Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Member

    Thank you harshedbuzz and Bowerbird. I appreciate the replies and recommendations.

    There are two upcoming support group sessions locally, which we are planning to attend. Although they are open to all ages, we'll be there to see what we learn. You never know who may show up. I can only imagine there are others walking the same streets in the same situation.

    Best wishes,

    Glen

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more