How can I deal with a verbally aggressive and sometimes Alzheimer's patient
Baker Acted.
Comments
-
We're still in the argue about arguing stage but my LO is brutal. Name-calling, incideithat never happened, but her mouth! This is, was, a kind living compassionate nurse and 44 year partner. "It's a stage" I keep hearing. Once she grabbed me and that's the line for me. I weigh 118#, she weighs 185#.
Any time there's a physical attack again I will call 911.
4 -
Any time there is bodily hurt or trying to hurt you. Like throwing stuff at you.
1 -
Though you may be happy with your neurologist, I realized mine was not the right kind of doctor to get quick, meaningful help with the types of meds needed for Alzheimers and other dementia type illnesses. I found a geriatric psychologist who was much more responsive and had a better handle on medications for the various behaviors that can come with dementia.
Best of luck to you! Please keep yourself safe and trust your gut. If you're afraid, call 911!
4 -
my husband is at the same stage. He never was an angry person before EOAD but now has agitated anger often. His neurologist was good about prescribing meds to calm him down. Maybe switch neurologists?
1 -
I am new to this sight. My husband has been diagnosed with mild dementia. I retired two years ago to be with him. We don’t have enough money on retirement to travel so we are at home everyday. He walks a lot and I’m just feeling lost. I taught preschool for 26 years. It was getting bad with administration getting involved and I was ready to get out. But now I’m feeling really lost. The last two weeks my husband has had two separate aggressive episodes. Verbally, not physically. Still hurtful. I messaged his doctor and he put him on Vraylar for a month with me calling him in two weeks to check in. My kids are tired of me complaining to them. They haven’t said that to me but I can tell they’re in the middle and are uncomfortable. What am I supposed to do?
3 -
You need a geriatric psychiatrist - even a psychiatry clinic at a teaching hospital would help. They are the ones to prescribe mood altering drugs, such as antidepressants, anxiety or antipsychotic medication.
2 -
Talk to your PCP. My wife's doctor was good about helping with medication when needed. He didn't want to start too soon and I didn't either, but when we talked he was helpful. The medications can take a while to work.
2
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19.1K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 249 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help