Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Questions for touring MCF

dcare45
dcare45 Member Posts: 239
250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

I'm going to start touring MCFs Monday and am looking for the important questions I should ask. Not planning to place DW yet however I am setting a plan for if something happens to me. Will also use the information in the future if permanent placement becomes necessary.

If anyone can suggest questions or something I should watch for, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 429
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    When it was time to tour MC places, I used ChatGPT and asked what questions I should ask and got a nice list. While I visited each place if I saw someone that was visiting their relative I asked them if they had a good experience placing their LO there. I also used my nose and made sure there wasn’t the smell of urine in the main room where all the residents congregate. I’m glad you are getting your plan B in place because with this disease things can turn bad quickly.

  • stananon
    stananon Member Posts: 25
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Answer
    Member

    i toured my first MCF yesterday. Not sure that DW needs one yet, but who know the timelines. Like blacksparky I used the nose and cleanliness of common areas test, having visited family members in nursing homes and hospice in the past. I observed the residents sitting and chatting in a common area. I got to see the two types of rooms that they have there, as well as the eating area and activity area. I asked about staff turnover, staff training in dementia, staff ratio to residents, and activities. I would have liked to observe an activity. I asked about medical services, what happens in case of a fall or other acute medical problem.

    I asked about respite in case I had to go into a hospital, or well, just respite for my sanity. And of course finances - what is included and what is not included in the monthly cost, and is there an annual increase in costs.

    I do know someone whose LO is a resident there, and basically they told me that you have to be your LO's advocate, they have had a generally good experience there but like anywhere else some staff are much better than others. I do plan to inquire of them some more. And before making any decision, I would check the state inspection reports.

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,388
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    It's good to ask what kind of training the staff receive and how the facility is licensed, but the biggest questions are answered with your eyes and nose. Do the people appear relatively content, and does the place smell ok. Admittedly, the best place might smell like a recent "event," but they should not have a pervasive, old stink.

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 825
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Good for you for being proactive and getting your “Plan B” plan started. I toured 6 facilities, some tour many more. You’ve already gotten some good advice here about questions to ask. I found a list online and printed out a few copies to bring and fill out for myself because I knew I couldn’t remember it all. But in addition to the standard questions, I also tried to talk to family members of residents like @blacksparky did, sometimes talking to people in the parking lot who were going in to visit. If I didn’t see anyone, I asked for references.

    I had my first choice in mind when, as luck would have it, they had a caregiver seminar at that facility that was open to the public. I met several people at the seminar who had family members residing there and I got their input. After hearing all the glowing things they said, my choice was made. If the facilities you tour have programs like that, you might be able to get some good insight by spending time in the facility.
    Good luck!

  • frankay
    frankay Member Posts: 61
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    You should also ask what happens if the person becomes a 2 person assist or can no longer stand which very often happens. Do they use a lift, do they become bed-bound or must your loved one leave. Also how often are they taken to the bathroom or changed and how often are they showered. Ask about how often the beds are changed and the rooms cleaned. Many places emphasize the food but say nothing about how the person actually gets the food into their mouths; is there help to cut the food into smaller pieces, are they offered water throughout the day, what happens when they have trouble using eating utensils. These are questions I wished I had asked when I first toured facilities.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 239
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thanks everyone so far, good tips. @frankay I did have a question written down about meals however I would not have thought to ask the questions you brought up. That's why I asked here so I didn't miss all the important details.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,963
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @dcare45

    I toured a dozen places after dad was diagnosed as my Plan B because mom wouldn't "go there". Some very random advice—

    Asking folks you know at church, golf, a local support group, hair salon etc can be a great way to narrow down your list.

    If there exists a possibility that your DW could outlive her/your assets, focus on MCFs that accept Medicaid for MC/SNF (in some states) after spending down.

    Don't be distracted by decor. You don't want to accept some place abysmal looking, but fancy wallpaper and window treatments speak to selling to families not caring for residents.

    Ask what kind of training staff gets and how often they have personal development sessions. Ask about the caregiver/aide to resident ratio is (they like to add cooks, admins and cleaners to the ratios they present)

    Ask how staffing is handled. Dad's 2 main aides on the 1st and 2nd shift split weekends so he always had someone he knew/knew him during his awake hours— weekend crews tend to have terrible reputations. Ask about staff retention— I checked out the employee parking lot to see what kind of cars staff could afford.

    Ask what services come in. Dad's place had a geriatric internist and geri psych come in weekly/as needed. They had OT, PT and SLT available. They could also get mobile podiatry, hair stylist, phlebotomy and x-ray. My aunt's bigger place also had a dentist, audiologist and optometrist come.

    Ask if your LO can age-in-place. Ask under what circumstances would you be asked to provide private aides or hospice services. Ask under what circumstances DW might be asked to leave.

    IME, most of the food offered is just kind of "meh". But if dad didn't like what the family style meal was, they'd offer him something else right away.

    Talk to the staff while touring— ask how long they've been there. Dad's 2 daytimer aides had 45 years between them.

    HB

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 239
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @harshedbuzz Thanks

    Now this is gold right here,

    "I checked out the employee parking lot to see what kind of cars staff could afford"

    Outside the box!

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more