Wandering at night
I find my husband wanders the bedroom at night without my knowing. What can I put on him to know if he is up. Sometimes he needs bathroom help but doesn’t tell me. I wake up to a mess.
Comments
-
PS: are we destined to never stay overnight in a hotel again?
2 -
There are bed alarms. There are some that are on the mattress, so if he moves, the alarm will sound. There are floor mat alarms, so if he steps on it, the alarm will sound. There are motion sensors that can be placed, so if he moves, the alarm will sound. You can search these on Amazon or a medical supply company.
6 -
You could also try light sensors. Battery operated could be placed at certain points around the house. My DH wanders at night and early morning. I leave the bathroom light on but I think he has forgotten where the other light switches are or even how to turn them on. I have trained myself to try and stay asleep or at least rest, made the house safe of objects and trip mats with double locks on the front door. He is safe, I can rest. And yes I often wake to a missed bathroom mess, it's ok.
4 -
Thank you for these great suggestions. I will check Amazon.
0 -
I have a simple motion sensor I got off Amazon. You can put the sensor right on the floor under the side of the bed he would get out of and you can take the receiver anywhere you go. Or put it on the nightstand next to you when sleeping.
1 -
Thank you. I like simple . I have door sensors if he opens the bedroom or outside doors, but I’m looking for something to take with me if we manage to get away for a night or two. Would you be able to give me the name of the one you like or a link? There are several. I use Amazon all the time it seems.
1 -
This is what I have done also plus I have night lights In all the rooms (2 in some rooms) Do not need light on to see at night. I have an alarm on the back door that I turn off during the day so DW can go in the fence back yard. Fence door is locked.
At night I remind her to go to the bathroom she knows to do number 1 but does not think to do number 2 , so I have found I need to remind her.
1 -
We used bed alarms and motion sensors from Smart Caregiver. They are on Amazon.
1 -
0
-
I also give my DH 5mg of melatonin every night. He does get up to use the bathroom but it does help him sleep better at night.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19.1K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 249 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help