Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Reducing sensory overload

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 389
100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
Member

I've read about reducing sensory overload for PWD, such as turning off TV when eating, talking or answering slowly, and even using earplugs (if they still have good hearing).

My experience is mostly with problems with visual or sounds. Did anyone experience problems with other things like rough fabrics (clothes, seat cushions), uneven breeze from windows or things that are difficult to eat or drinks that may be too hot? I think those are harder to figure out.

I often have to watch what is on TV, so that if there are too many activities on a screen for PWD (let's say there is some text scrolling at the bottom), or too many fast cuts/scene changes, then I need to change the show or channel. TV shows for children tend to be "flashy" and I think seems to cause some strain. Same goes for many dancers in a show. So slow animal shows seem to work better. These problems seem more obvious to me.

I'm discovering that this issue causes anxiety or confusion due to lack of processing ability, and isn't really related to lack of memory. It's hard to detect this form of anxiety, compared to lack of memory, which a caregiver can detect relatively easily if a PWD is confused. I suspect that sensory overload just causes quiet discomfort. But if it gets too uncomfortable, you can tell. What I want to try to do is detect it before it even gets to that level.

Being aware of this issue is also quite difficult for the caregiver. You have to evaluate every stimuli, constantly. But the reaction is unpredictable. Some busy TV shows are just fine. But some cause distress.

Comments

  • Damiross
    Damiross Member Posts: 81
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    It's different with each person with dementia*.

    The only noises that bother my wife are the same ones that bothered her in the past. Example include scrapping a chair on the floor and throwing dice on a hard surface.

    The center has "<country name> got talent" showing often on the television. . The varied, often fast action, activities on the show don't bother her.

    *I'm more than likely in the minority here. I do not care for the term "PWD". To me, it reduces a person with dementia to just an object. I'm not offended if others use the term but I will not use it.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,963
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @dancsfo

    I am one who completely believes that sensory processing issues are often seen in dementia. In that context, I often thought much of dad's dementia progression akin to an acquired autism. Sensory issues, lack of empathy, and poor executive function are common to both conditions.

    As a parent of an adult son on spectrum, I came to dementia prewired to detect sensory differences. My dad had a fair amount of sensory defensiveness around noise (despite his hearing issues), bright lighting and textures of clothing (soft, unconstructed preferred) and food (strong preference for creamy and soft with a sauce of some kind). His tolerance for sensory challenges was mitigated by him having control of it (remote for fan/light, TV) and seemed to be best earlier in the day.

    In addition to sensory defensiveness, I did note some sensory seeking in the form of stroking soft blankets or his cashmere sweaters. In later stages, he had some issues with proprioception (knowing where his body was in space— cue the diagonal bed-hogging) and also interpreting sensory signals from his own body (hunger, thirst, full bladder, etc)

    HB

    I don't mind acronyms. I not only use them here, I use them in speech, too, in certain places. My time is the most valuable thing to me.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,362
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    When mom was first diagnosed we moved her in with my brother who lived just a few blocks from her house. She insisted on going to her house as often as possible (my brother agreed, I did not). While she was there she was completely overwhelmed. She saw the garden and wanted to pull weeds, wanted to paint the swing, sort through some material, wash the curtains, deep clean the carpets, reupholster a couch….. At my brothers house it was similar. She saw the oven and wanted to make banana bread, she hated seeing weeds in the garden, insisted she could wash her own laundry…. She was overwhelmed wanting to do everyday tasks that were beyond her abilities. This might be a bit different than the sensory overload you are experiencing, but still related to dementia. During this time I noticed a lot of confusion and confabulation. When I moved her to al these symptoms went away. When I see how well she is doing, I need to remind myself that it’s because she is in a safe controlled environment and I did not move her too soon.

  • dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 389
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited October 7

    Thank you for the insights. While I do not have experience caring for those on the spectrum, from what I do read, I see many similarities.

    The issue of trying to do everyday tasks does ring true. I have read that if you get sensory overload, one can try to seek refuge in performing something familiar. But that in turn can fail and overwhelm. An example I saw recently was the desire to scrub pots and pans before finishing (or even starting) a meal. Maybe it was soothing. But it was overwhelming since it was too frustrating to perform well. I tried to distract and say "We can do that later".

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more