Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Decades of anger from combative spouse

Hi, everyone: this is part commentary and part question. My wife of almost 40 years (we're both 69) is far along on the dementia journey -- probably mid-level, according to ALZ metrics, in that she can still feed, clothe, bathe herself but is entirely confused by dates, times, events, and the interdependencies between them, regularly loses things, is sometimes just about inarticulate -- and often weepy or angry or both. 

She has a follow-up appt with the neurologist in about 10 days, and that we believe (her entire family and several friends) will confirm what last April's neuropsych tests showed: that she almost certainly has Alzheimer's that's pretty far along now. Oh, by the way, she is in super-steep denial -- or to put it more sensitively, she lacks insight into her condition. 

A challenge that many of us -- and me in particular, since I'm with her 7x24 -- is how to respond to her frequent anger, suspicions, accusations, and toxic sarcasm. I can take most of it -- distracting, answering calmly or not answering at all, saying no as little as possible -- but the stuff that I really have to bottle up (or take a walk because of) are the attacks on my character -- my honesty, my honor, etc., etc. 

[ Venting now: This is a woman who has no real idea of how much of my time (still running our own business) I devote to caring for, anticipating needs of, answering repetitive requests from her, planning entertainment for her, corresponding with all family and friends about, over and over and over. ]

The thing is, the sarcasm and lashing-out has been part of her character since forever. So it's hard for me -- any of her family, for that matter -- to say, oh, it's just the dementia talking. 

Back in the day, long before she and I got together, she often tongue-lashed her older sister, verbally attacked her then 9-year-old nephew (to the point where, 43 years later, he still chooses not to interact with her if he can help it), and has frequently clashed with family members and friends. Many of us have learned to be very wary around her. And over the last 10 years -- I suppose as her dementia has started to take hold without us realizing it -- it has been awful for me in particular, to the point where we did go to marriage therapy more than once. 

I'm not saying that every day was end-to-end awful, but there have been so many instances over the years so that I feel all the love has been crushed out of me. Putting it bluntly: I just don't love her any more. I constantly have my guard up. She notices, of course; she sees I'm relaxed and happy and open with everyone else. Fortunately, I have the support of our whole family and quite a few friends, and I'm well aware of the need to look after myself, if only to be better able to look after my wife. And I have the wonderful deep and wide and round-the-clock support of the Alzheimer's Assocation. 

So now I consider myself carer first, and husband in name only. 

I'm learning, slowly, to speak the different language required to interact with someone in her unfortunate condition. But that stilted form of interaction is a big strain all by itself -- requiring constant and conscious attention for fear of saying something unhelpful or inappropriate or raising a voice or wrinkling a brow. Any ways to accelerate and ease my learning of that language? 

Thanks in advance for all inputs and suggestions!  

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi GTPremium,

I can understand how you feel and I think it is great that you can open up honestly about your feelings. I think that the main thing that caregivers forget/deny etc is that they are equally as important as the spouse. Yes it is tragic for your spouse that she has dementia but it is tragic for you that your wife has dementia. You have to make sure that your wife is cared for- fed, clean, warm, safe and loved- but it doesn’t mean it has to be by you in your home. You can look at placement for her if it financially feasible. She won’t be 100% happy but she isn’t now. She will adjust and you can create a visitation schedule for family and friends. Don’t let this disease kill two people. Also if something were to happen to you tomorrow and you were incapacitated for a few weeks who would step in to care for her. It is a good idea to tour facilities to have a Plan B in place. Good luck. Don’t ever feel guilty for taking care of yourself.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    GTPremium wrote:

Oh, by the way, she is in super-steep denial -- or to put it more sensitively, she lacks insight into her condition. 

You are correct, she does lack insight into her condition.  This is called anosognosia.  It is distinct from denial.  It seems that many PWDs may lash out at those closest to them.   Yes, you will have to learn a new way to communicate.  Give up trying to rationalize or explain or defend yourself.  Learn validation and therapeutic fibs and other work-arounds.  Read a lot of threads. 

Iris L

• Marie67
    Marie67 Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments

HI GTPremium,

I would say, I'm happy to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. But it's hard to say happy when it's such a sad feeling, I wouldn't wish this diease on my worst enemy. My husband has always been grumpy..and feels his way is the best way and only way. We've been married 47 years, and they have not always been the most pleasant. But since being diagnosed last July with Alzheimer's, it's pretty much unbearable to live with him and try to keep him safe and well. Many times lately, I feel as though maybe I never loved him. 

Sometimes when I read in this forum, I just feel like screaming when everyone talks about dear loved one.  Days like today where I struggled to get the poop washed off of him in shower, and was cussed at the entire time. I don't feel like he or I either one is a "loved one". Surely, I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Just wanted you to know, I get it!

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi GT Premium,

Just wanted to say you are not alone. H has anosognosia. Married 47 years. He's 72. I'm 69. We are starting year 9 of this journey. Your W's skills are the same as my H. 

H was always completely self-involved, fired from every job he had after retiring from the AF. Two sons - he was there for the birth and came to pick me up at discharge. DIL came to help when I had hysterectomy and double mastectomy. I drove myself to chemo for a year. No support for my career and resentful of the time I spent pursuing it (shared by my oldest son last year.) We went to marriage counseling three different times. Lots of talk on his part but no follow through. I did all the heavy lifting in our relationship. (Great preparation for spouse with Alzheimer's with anosognosia.) My sons thought we would divorce after they left home. I had my life. He had his. I told him long ago. I no longer loved him. My life choices have not been the best. 

Now he's angry, resentful that I "won't let him drive", and he has nothing to do. He had angry outburst late afternoon/evening. Dr gave him a medication that took the edge off that. You might want to check with the neurologist to see if that is possible. 

When I suggest an outing or activity, he doesn't want to. I take care of everything now. The nasty remarks/looks don't get to me because as Rhett Butler put it, "I don't give a d--m." 

Coping? Things are good as long as I'm in Miss Suzy Sunshine mode - lots of sugar and positivity. I'm quite the actress. I spend as little time in the same room as possible so I can turn the act off. There was a song "I'm Walking on Sunshine." My version is "I'm walking on eggshells." I work parttime virtually as it is stimulating and gives me something to do. Daily Starbucks run where I read and relax. Zoom with my friends. 

I've got a LTC insurance. I'd like to place him. My son is too concerned that he will live longer than insurance and then it will be a financial problem. 

I send you caring thoughts and hope for better days. 

• AWilder
    AWilder Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I am new tonight. I'm the70 yo wife of a 71 yo man with dementia. He was give the diagnosis of "probable ALZ' this week but we've seen cognitive decline for at least 4 years. The neurologist said he believes my husband has "moderate" symptoms. So, I am posting this as a simple hello and stating that I will be looking through the boards and getting familiar with the workings of this group. I expect to be here for quite a while as he is very healthy. Thank you for reading this. I welcome  contact from anyone. At the moment I feel rather lonely with this news. And i apologize because i think i should have posted this in a different location. Anyway, hello!!  Anne.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

GT Premium,

You sound like a very caring man, and as patient as you can hope to be in a terrible situation.  I’m sorry you ended up taking care of someone who is so difficult.  Can you find someone else to take care of her?  My MIL was a mean woman and there is no way I would have taken her into our home.  But we made sure she was safe and secure as she aged.  I agree with Gig Harbor.  Don’t let the dementia destroy both of you.

• Onceadoc
    Onceadoc Member Posts: 11
    5 Care Reactions First Anniversary First Comment
    We have much in common like age, duration of our relationships, stages of our spouses’ dementia, and pre-dementia personality traits. The hardest thing for me also is to compartmentalize my feelings and respond “to the disease” as opposed to the pre-disease personality and behaviors. I’m often not very successful at that and have a lot of difficulty in not responding in some way (talking or mumbling to myself while walking away or engaging in a futile attempt at reason, not feeling profound anxiety and just wanting to get away from her ) when my validations and apologies for her accusations fail. Cajoling rarely “worked” pre-disease and it pretty much never “works” now. She’s driven off pretty much everyone in her life at some point but me so I’m pretty much alone in this day to day. That also makes me resentful and contributes to my less than constructive responses to her accusatory and aggressive behavior. So to keep the disease from destroying us both I need to do better. As I expressed in another message we’re both sheepdogs who are doing our best to protect the wolf we once loved. Have you found anything that best helps you compartmentalize and cope?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The first sentence of my first post here was "does anyone else want to run away?"

I hear you loud and clear.

No advice just a heap of understanding.

Judith

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh, my goodness.  Here I find myself at exactly the same place.  My spouse has been at me about why he can't drive all week, acting resentful, nasty etc.  And he never used to be so mean.  He always had a temper, but would realize that he had gone overboard and apologize.  As the years went on (45 of them, almost) he mellowed out and we were each other's best friends. Since the diagnosis (and even before) he's had what my niece (a nurse) calls "outbursts" and he thinks he has capabilities that he doesn't have.  Like, he thinks it's OK to give our daughter (who we think has an alcohol problem) a shot of scotch so she will listen to him about how she should go to therapy for that problem.  He used to be a clinical psychologist so he thinks he knows this.  In my book, that's just crazy talk.  

I can relate to "walking on eggshells".  I am realizing yet again that although he was always my closest confidante and best listener, he is no longer capable of those things.  Dementia has robbed me of the decent, compassionate and spiritual man he used to be.  Heck, I got new glasses yesterday and he didn't even notice.

All of this just to say, I can relate....all too well.

• GTPremium
    GTPremium Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

Many thanks to all for suggestions of therapeutic fibbing, distractions, etc. -- and especially for the reminders about looking after myself. I'm actually pretty good at that (or so I think), having always been aware of the need to have diverse interests and a broad network of friends. 

One thing I've learned from my sister-in-law -- DW's older sister -- is to just slow down and meet DW where she is, as much as possible. That means deliberately setting aside time to be with and focus on DW, even though -- to be horribly candid -- I'd far prefer to be 10,000 miles away. Forever. To get on with my own life. 

In practice, that means setting up more entertainment -- even if it's just watching a movie together -- AND putting those events on her calendar so there's a visible record of "fun stuff happening soon!", with which to help combat her sense of isolation and loneliness -- especially while I'm working on running our small business. 

More inputs to follow after neurologist appt next week, at which we (family and friends) hope to hear about diagnosis and crucially, what treatment or at least care plan, so we can start building on that. 

Phew. 

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wow, I could have written everything I just read from all of you. What is the most difficult thing to deal with is the inability to reason. DW is going through a toddler phase that is causing my head to explode. I find myself muttering I gotta get out of here almost every day. Not an option. The only option is to suck it up buttercup and continue on until the end. What works for me lately is I think of the absolute worse place I can be. That would be in prison in solitary confinement. Mentally I really go there, imagining the details and the despair of that situation. And then imagine you can be free but you have to be a caregiver to your wife who is a difficult dementia patient. It changes my whole perspective of the situation and for the moment I am happy to be here. I try to tap into my adventurous spirit anticipating what madness is waiting for me around the next corner. I do get a certain satisfaction out of the adaptation process. I also try to detach from the situation and pretend I am on the outside looking in. How would I advise myself to deal with the next hurdle. I am always searching for brain hacks to help deal with the emotional rollercoaster we are all on. Exercise, meditation, breathing exercises, golf, music, philosophy, spirituality, motivational videos, detachment, mindfulness, distractions, writing, name it I have tried it. Just writing this little piece gave me an endorphin boost and the motivation to keep going through the day.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear GT,

I too have lived many years with an angry man.  

He doesn't know he's angry, by the way.  And he's Mr. Charming in public and with friends and acquaintances....he vents his anger only on family and it is very tiring and depressing.  

I used to think that it was my fault, that I did something wrong each time.  It took years of therapy to understand what was happening.

So far he is actually less difficult now that dementia is setting in.   His angry outbursts and hurtful remarks are far fewer.   Of course this is early days, and who knows what lies ahead.

So sometimes I feel so hurt and angry that it is hard to be kind and gentle with him.  I just want to avoid him, truth be told.

But I organize his day, his appointments and try to get him more active and involved with our community, so I must try to let go of my resentment, since it only hurts me.

You are doing a terrific job, by the way.

Elaine

• SuzyP
    SuzyP Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Hello All,  

I am an infrequent reader and poster here, in part due to the issue that is being discussed.  I have been married 23 years to a very angry and difficult man.  I am 60, he is 70; he was diagnosed back in 2016.  I have a very challenging time reading posts regarding caring for a dear loved one now suffereing with AD who once was a loving, caring spouse.  To be honest, if I knew before diagnosis what I know now (through losts of therapy, support groups, etc.) I would have divorced him.  Now I feel I have no choice but to see this through to the end, which may be a very long time.  His mother passed from Alz in November 2021, at age 96.  My mother (also a very problematic personality) also has Alz.  She is in a skilled nursing facility after having broken her hip.  Prior to that, she was in assisted living, but now doesn't have the function remaining to return there.  She calls frequently wanting me to come visit, and when I do, she repeatedly returns to the subject of how she can't live in that horrible place and I must get her out of there (it is actually quite lovely, and I don't know if I will be able to afford that kind of premium care when I reach her age...)  I try to redirect, which leads to us having the same superficial conversations over and over and over....

All this to say that you are not alone, and it has helped me to hear that I am not alone in caring for two very difficult Alz patients.  My husband has had a remarkably slow progression, which all of my friends and family expect me to be very happy about.  I hate to say it, but when he was first diagnosed, I checked the "life expectancy tables" and was anticipating that he would, at the very least, be placed by now.  I guess I'm feeling a lot of self pity today.  But thanks for all who are vulnerable enough to share their realities here.  It does help to hear all of your stories.

• GTPremium
    GTPremium Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

To Onceadoc others:  the question of compartmentalizing is a tricky one. I don't have a golden solution; I've learned to time-slice into minuscule little slivers -- five minutes here, seven minutes there -- to try to get Some Stuff Done before the next inevitable interruption about "Can you help me with my phone?" or "This blouse or that one?" or "Did you take my keys?" and on and on and ON...   I do not need to remind you... 

Another thing I try to do is set expectations, and stick with them: like "We'll definitely go to that store at 5:30pm, OK?" or "We'll start watching that episode at 8pm tonight -- I'm looking forward to it!" and that seems to work not only to give me a little more breathing room but also to blunt my wife's sense of despair and being at a loose end as her purpose has drifted away. 

And then there are the friends who can open up some space for me to get Lots of Stuff Done when they take my wife to church -- and keep her for brunch afterward -- or something like that. 

Lastly, there's the issue of other priorities. I run our own business (until quite recently, if was both of us) and I find I can genuinely "hide behind" the need to get work taken care of. If need be, I will actually shut my office door for periods of time; my wife hates that -- feels very excluded and further isolated -- but she seems to respect it. For now, anyway. 

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    After years of anger DH is now sweet and loving. The problem is that I don’t believe him when he frequently tells me he loves me. I have difficulty responding to these affectionate statements. I too am putting my time in because I don’t see any way out. He was diagnosed with MCI in 2010. Placement won’t come soon enough to suit me. I’m tired, worn out and too old (81) for this. I struggle with forgiveness. One day I believe I’ve forgiven him but the next day I may be angry again. It is a constant struggle. Lord, help us all.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    SusyP - Hello to a fellow traveler. The people who think it's wonderful that he is progressing so slowly. Grace to them because they don't know the back story. It's fine. Initially I too found it difficult to read the posts about the dear loved one. I've decided to adopt the mindset of enjoying their precious love story and know there were and are some wonderful things in the world.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yep.....I could just hit thumbs up on so many of these responses.  My not so dear husband was always about himself, and the family only if it made him look good. 

I am 60, working full time from home (thanks to my wonderful employer).  I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't working.  Trying to talk to him and work with him is exhausting.  Since I've been working at home since the start of COVID (he was diagnosed 10/2020), he kind of understands that when I'm in the office at home, I'm working.  He still comes in to bug me multiple times a day, but I just say you need to watch tv because I'm working. He has no desire to do anything but sit and watch reruns, so that's fine by me.

He can still dress himself, though he doesn't like to change which clothes he's wearing.  I give light assistance during showers, which don't happen near as often as they should.  I cook and plate all his meals or he'd eat nothing but candy and ice cream. He has no ability to accomplish anything or make  even a simple decision.  He just exists.  So, no....he is not my dear loving husband.  He is the man I married 36 years ago who has EOAD who I am committed to taking care of.

Oh and how do I deal with him when he starts telling me how mean I am and how I'm supposed to be nicer to him?  Sometimes I just laugh and say ok, other times I look straight at him and tell him that he's lucky he has me here 24/7 taking care of him because nobody else would.  I know it's terrible, but it makes me feel better and he forgets about it in just a few minutes.

• 5407mylh
    5407mylh Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary
    You sound so much like me. We’ve been married 41 years and had some really great times, but also bouts of jealousy and he has quick temper. He’s an alcoholic with Korsakoff syndrome and continues to drink till he literally cannot stand up. Most nights I take him to bed in a wheelchair, some nights he crawls. He’s always had a quick temper and it has cost us most of our friends. I try to be patient and understanding but it’s hard with the anger I feel. I care for him, very much, but I no longer love him. The guilt is sometimes unbearable. He says mean and hateful things to me. He’s killing himself and I find myself sometimes wishing it was over. He has had a stroke that greatly affected his vision so he can’t drive. He can no longer be left alone and he has bizarre false memories of places he thinks I take him. Twice when he couldn’t find me (I was just in another room) he’s left the house looking for me. He falls almost every night. He’s been through detox several times and it is very bad, not sure he could survive it again. I’m rambling so I’ll stop now but I do understand what you’re going through and wish you the best.
  • Kes3222
    Kes3222 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

This site helps me to not feel like I’m the only one having this experience. My MIL has lived with us for 7 months and is generally a pleasant and able bodied woman. She is with us while her condo is being renovated after a flood. She has mid stage dementia/Alzheimer’s and most likely won’t be going back to an independent living situation.

My spouse travels A LOT for work and my MIL’s other son lives 3 hours away and really could have her there but we have more space and took her in. I am the only one between the three of us who is with her here every day. I work from home and manage to get out of the house for a break just to hit the gym each evening.

MIL smokes, leaves baggies of cigarette butts in odd places smelling up the house, and has a spoiled rotten dog that she constantly feeds from the table so we have to hear it whine and beg at EVERY meal. So beyond the challenges with her, there are other frustrations Also she won’t do anything to help herself, or try to stop these behaviors for herself or the dog.

The forgetting and repetitive questions are very exhausting and the combative lack of cooperation is the most frustrating for me. Today, after asking her many times over the past few months, to not put her baby powder on in the bedroom, it hit a boiling point. There is a thick layer of baby powder everywhere in the bedroom where she is staying in our home. She and her son (my spouse) started at it this afternoon after I simply asked her if she would mind putting her on her powder in on the bathroom. She went to complain to my partner and they got into an argument.

I got so angry that she was complaining about how we were constantly inspecting everything and she couldn’t do anything right. It was here that I got visibly angry at her for the first time since she has been with us and spoke up. She slammed the door in my face and then I opened the door, stormed in the room and unleashed.

I felt bad after but also felt relieved that I let out SO much frustration and anger that I’ve been holding onto for months. It even surprised me as I don’t get angry easily. Her anger outbursts don’t happen to that extent a lot, however there is frequent sarcasm and eye rolling so our frustration has been building.

I recognize that we broke many of the rules (don’t argue or correct, don’t yell) but it was SO hard. It was like an out of body experience for me. The months of anger and ongoing disrespect she shows are just so incredibly frustrating. Perhaps we need to have an evaluation of meds to help with increasing anger she is displaying.

So, reading the many others on this site that are experiencing the anger, combativeness, sarcasm and worse…my heart goes out. I recognize I am human and we are all allowed to be frustrated. She is frustrated because she has lost control of many things in her life, my partner are I are frustrated and we all try to work through it. Today just hit a boiling point and I lashed out like I never have before.

I actually feel a lot better after letting it out, however I recognize it wasn’t helpful. I appreciate this forum and the connection to others having similar experiences.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This comment is in the form of Musing.

So much in our world is falling apart or has already been destroyed. There is nothing we can do about changing back to the way things were before. I can rail against what is. I don't really feel better by railing. Victor Frankl said the only thing we have control over is our response to what happens to us. I had made a decision regarding my own memory loss to help other people dealing with memory loss. I feel very frustrated now--I feel like I'm a pawn in someone's game. I'm trying to capture my thoughts into a positive direction. I'm posting in this thread because it seems to be about frustration, and I am frustrated.
  • Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

I get it, too! Not everyone had the storybook marriage, and I think it makes caring for a spouse with dementia so much harder. My husband was always a bully, was always selfish, and tried to control everything I did. Now he is still doing that, but is also nasty when I try to help him. I, too, wonder if I ever really loved him. I have started going to bed at 8:15 just to get away from him for a while and to regroup a little. He stays up and watches TV, and usually falls asleep on the couch so I have a little time alone. I don't know what the answer is, but coming here and venting is a huge help, and I have received some great advice that has helped me put a barrier between my self-respect and his meanness. Good luck!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I absolutely agree 100% with that. It's super important.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm convinced that any personality traits that were horrible pre-diagnosis just become magnified during the entire duration of the disease. My husband was always concerned about his own needs first, and there were always rules for him and rules for everyone else. That has intensified since his diagnosis, and makes it very difficult to want to be caring and understanding when I feel like I've put up with a lot of this for the 37 years of our marriage.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more