Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

by Dio - Day of Move Ideas for Placement - Success

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 682
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

To all you brave warriors who have successfully placed your LO in MCF, please share your execution plan on the day of moving in. I'm looking for ideas. Since DH is still very cognizant of what's going on around him, I'd hate to traumatize him with the move. Some ideas so far include:

1. Have friends bring him to dine at the facility and then quietly disappear.
  2. Tell him it's doctors orders and/or that it's only temporary.
  3. Leave it to the facility. Facility will know what to do. (really??)

BTW, furnishings are provided, so that's one less hassle on my part. And I cannot be the one dropping him off. He keeps his eyes glued to my every move.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Everything was getting ready for my wife to move into a facility when she had what we thought might be TIAs. So we got her in the hospital, and nothing was found, but they kept her until her room was ready at the facility. She went by ambulance, so I didn't have to worry about that part. We told her she had to go there for rehab, and although she wasn't happy with that, it kind of worked.

Your situation is much different. I like the idea of putting the spin on it as a new place to eat, then excusing yourself to use the bathroom, without returning. The facility needs to know what will transpire before it does, so they can have aides ready to redirect and comfort him as much as possible. You could also ask the facility if they have any suggestions.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dio, 

My experience will be of no help to you.  My DH was oblivious as to his whereabouts, his family members, anything in his world by the time he was placed.  It became easy to do an otherwise very hard job.  His room was furnished by the MCF, we took very few items beyond clothing and the director said, “No fanfare” regarding placement day. I would have been crushed had he voiced objection or fear, clung to me, or cried after me.  It was just a drop off and a walk away.  Very sad, but easy.  Best of luck when (and if) your time comes.  Your situation is so much harder than was mine.  Your suggestions sound workable to me.  

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

My wife is physically healthy and able to perform most of her ADL's. She has moderate dementia along with global aphasia that limits her ability to communicate, but is generally aware of her surroundings.

Placement for my wife was completely handled by the MCF. She had been in the hospital and upon release the hospital neurologist arranged for the MCF to transport her to their facility. Prior to her being discharged I met with her doctor and the neurologist who recommended I have no part in the placement process. They also felt it would be a good idea for me to stay away for 5-7 days after she was placed. That was nine months ago. When I visit now she still tries to gather her things as in her mind she thinks I am there to take her home.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I told my husband that I had to have surgery and he would be there while I was in the hospital. He did fine. He never asked to come home. I did not visit for two weeks but the staff constantly reinforced that I was getting better. I recently moved him to a new facility and he never realized that he had been moved. Good luck! Definitely move him there just before lunch so he will have something to initially occupy him.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165

Dio,

It's a tough one for sure - might be tougher on you than your LO. 

My DH was in a rehab facility after having been hospitalized - so on the day he was to go to MC, I came in and said, do you want to go to a better rehab place?  to which he enthusiastically replied, "Yes"!  (He didn't like his roommate).  We did the very short drive, just played music, no real  discussion of anything,  the MC people were there to greet us and we showed him to his room.  It was close to lunch time.  I did leave after about 10 minutes, without saying goodbye because I knew that would cause distress.  So...it was a smooth transition to begin with.  Other stuff happens as days go by, but every person is different.

Fingers crossed for you, my friend!!!  You will get through, I know.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    My husband was told he was going to an appt for PT and memory care. In fact the doctor even wrote a prescription for in house PT and memory care.
  • Dio

I have a move in date next week. Now my stomach is all knotted up, fearing that I can't get him out the door. Lately, he's been so fearful of leaving the house that he's imprisoned himself. I literally had to push him out the door for annual checkup with his PCP. Our close friend who was supposed to help me on the day of moving in just had a minor heart procedure done, so I don't know if he'll be well enough and available. None of DH's family is nearby to help either. Please say a prayer for me.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2023

Hi Dio,

It sounds like no matter how you do it, eventually your DH will be upset. That's one of the awful things about this disease - you can't tell your LO the complete truth about things, and it runs contrary to your normal relationship. Now, you had planned on the luncheon and then easing your way out - Is there anyone else who can come with you on that day? If not, maybe he will just go with you...I would make a quiet exit before lunch if possible, but however you manage it, good luck and know that you are doing the very best you can for him. I do like the inhouse PT order, if you think he would go along with that. Praying for you!! Maybe it will go better than you think.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I told my husband that I had to have tests and a procedure done in the hospital and I would be there for several weeks. I explained that we had no one who could stay with him but that I had lined up a place for him to stay. When we got there he asked how long he had to stay and I told him two to three weeks. I left very shortly after that because I wanted it to seem pretty normal. He adjusted and when I went back to see him in three weeks he never asked to come home. He had started to become agitated and angry at home but I hadn’t taken him in to see a doctor. At the memory care they saw him immediately and they started him on meds to help him be less agitated. I think that helped with his adjustment.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Dio, my partner was also transferred by ambulance from hospital to facility, it will be exactly a year on April 15. She is still triggered to want to leave by my presence, even after a year. We told her it was rehab and continue to tell her it is under doctor's orders, but none of that has made a whit of difference.

I think your idea of having someone else take him is probably a good idea. Definitely discuss with the facility, they are in fact adept at doing this. Good luck and let us know what happens.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry, Dio. This is not an easy move.

I'm not in the same situation as you at all - I didn't place my spouse, I placed my younger sister. But I had to deal with most of the same behaviors as everyone else who has posted here. At the time, Peggy was fairly together, but was having a lot of trouble with her ADLs. It was time for her to be in memory care - past time, when I look back at it.

What we ended up doing was to have Peggy sit outside with one of her good friends. They went over a scrapbook I put together of our Italy cruise (we squeaked by on that one, but that's another story for another day). Peggy was so happy going over everything, and telling her friend all about it.

While Peggy was outside with her friend, me, my partner, and Peggy's best friend put together her room. We brought many of her favorite (but not valuable, or breakable) things, as well as getting her new purple (her favorite color) sheets for her bed, and a small light purple dresser. I got her a nightlight shaped like a kitty cat - that thing is so cute I can barely stand it. But man, it does the job, and it helped to calm Peggy down.

When she first moved in there were tantrums. She was petrified of moving into memory care. She thought we were going to abandon her in some hellscape of a place. Staff thought in our case that we should visit often, so we all did. After about three weeks she stopped believing we were just going to drop her off and forget about her, and she calmed down, and even told me she wished she had moved there sooner. Not the norm, I know. To this day she tells me she's glad she's there.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Sorry I haven't figured out how to edit yet ...

I wanted to add that I second what M1 said about staff at memory care facilities. They may be able to help you out with the logistics of the move. Can't hurt to ask.

• Dio

Gig, does your husband's memory care facility have a doctor who can prescribe meds? Otherwise, how were they able to start him on meds? Too bad, ours won't even give him vitamins unless a doctor prescribed it.

• M1

Dio,our facility has an affiliated medical practice that makes housecalls. Definitely ask about that,and about whether they work with hospice too.

• Dio

Thanks, M1. Supposedly our facility also has an affiliated visiting doctor. Since DH hasn't actually moved in yet, I'm holding off on switching doctors until he's settled in. Too many changes is hard to handle at the moment. And yes, the facility does work with hospice, several to recommend if needed.

• Dio

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! Well, today's the day, and all that transpired up to this point have been nothing less than a miracle. Getting the physician report 602a including POLST all done in record time without lengthy wait for next available appointment (our doctor came in on her day off to meet with us), swabbing (even on a good day before his illness, DH was adverse to swabbing no matter what) for Covid lab test took less than a minute inside our house, and then today, the final stretch--getting him out of our front door and then into the door of MCF, all came together seamlessly. Thank you for your prayers! It was divine intervention...

This morning, his friend came over to pick him up for lunch (true); they were to dine at the facility. Then DH threw a curve ball at us, didn't want to go to lunch with his friend, but somehow his friend and I got him out the door and I gently closed/locked it from inside. He tried to get back in, but relented and went with his friend.

Upon arrival, DH immediately knew it was a memory care facility (for certain things, he's still sharp as a tack) and asked as such. His friend answered yes (true) with a small fib that they're there to "check it out." And as luck would have it, the administrator arrived at the same time and used his magic to effortlessly guide DH inside and straight to the activities room where a beach ball was being bounced around and got DH to participate. Half an hour later, lunch was served.

The real fibbing started when discussing the duration of his stay--his friend said, "one day, just to try it out."

DH wanted to go home and asked his friend whether he's planning to take DH home. Friend responded, "Let's see how things (activities) go. Don't rush."

DH came up with all kinds of reasons as to why he couldn't stay the night--no PJs, no change of clothes, didn't have his medications, needed to go home to wife... His friend deflected it all by saying, "we'll see. I'm sure things are all taken care of."

Bingo was the next activity. DH said he didn't want to play. This is when staff took over and seated him with his back toward the window. His friend then left quietly without saying goodbye.

I was there, too, right behind them, to drop off last minute items, but stayed out of sight and waited for our friend outside in my car. This all took a little over 2 hrs. Reassuring was that our friend thought the facility was well run, staff's interaction with residents very comforting and familial, food was tasty, and that DH will be well taken care of. Reassured me, too, that it's the right/best decision for DH.

Around 4pm, the med tech called me to let me know DH was doing well and not to worry. Said will call me again tomorrow with update.

I think I'll have a good night's sleep tonight...which is long overdue.

• Dio

p.s. The "story" is that he's there to get stronger with PT and to get his incontinence under control before he can go home.

• M1

Glad it went well Dio, sounds like everything was well handled and your friend was a trooper. Here's hoping he settles quickly and easily. Hope you adjust too, there's a lot still ahead. Keep us posted.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dio so glad everything went well for your dh and that they called to let you know how it was going! Thank goodness for your good friend. Take care of yourself now, hope you got that much needed good night sleep.

• Dio

Got update from MC yesterday, so far so good. No aggression. Just the usual anxieties. Didn't ask about our friend who dropped him off, and no mention of asking to go home...didn't even mention me. Maybe he's so angry with me that he's already blocked me out.

• M1

I doubt it Dio. Give it time...and follow their lead on when to visit. It's very hard, and it's hard to know whether it's harder on you or him. After a year, I continue to hope that there is mercy in her not remembering and not having a sense of time. But I still wonder, and fear for her suffering. And miss her dreadfully.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more