Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I miss the Musings board

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have had a few postings that I've wanted to make on the Musings board, but alas, it's gone for good.

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thats not good I always read Musing's. There were a lot of good thoughts shared.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Iris, there's a feature that allow us to create "Groups." Someone could start a group titled "Musings."

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

I sometimes looked at the Musings board, but honestly I felt the those posts could have been done on the caregiver board. They would have been seen by more people

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The group idea should work out maybe just start a thread titled musings.

• Iris L.

Storycrafter, I looked over the Groups and that is not what I want to do, because it is isolating.

The Groups that I did see, IMO, defeat the primary benefit of what was formerly the best message board for learning about caring for PWDs and caring for caregivers. That primary benefit being the SHARING of experiences and knowledge. New members tend to think that their situations are unique, but there is a commonality to dementia care that new members eventually learn after reading many threads from different members.

If a member has some secret knowledge, why not share it with everyone? We are here to learn and support each other, not just one or two others in a small group.

I don't see these subgroups being helpful. Even the Caregiver boards divided into four boards is not helpful, IMO.

• Iris L.

Musings was comforting to me. I liked to read what others wrote. The thoughtful musings would have been buried in the general caregiver board.

• Iris L.

Sayra, I feel like I want to write, but I feel too demoralized to write something uplifting. Perhaps later.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm with you about the wonderful sharing in the main forums. Also, understandably, the largest number of the posts are from people dealing with the later, more difficult, and crisis caregiving situations.

We are not there yet and are living an extremely drawn out, slow decline with its own issues. Each phase has its difficulties, but it's harder and less frequent to find posts about early stages in the main forums, from MCI to about stage 3 or 4.

I often wish I could hear and explore more about dealing in the earlier changes of dementia, especially with spouses. It's a uniquely intimate relationship - whether it's been difficult with ups and downs or a more ideal marriage - and it would be so helpful to share feedback. I wonder if there was a forum devoted to that theme if those in the earlier stages would share more.

When I noticed the "Groups" option it looks like the closest one can come to such a thing. I thought it might be worth the experiment; possibly serve a need that maybe more spouses would feel freer to speak and share if the group was more specific. Not much happening so far. No posting other than my own to try to get things started, so it feels like speaking to an empty room.

I'm still getting familiar with the new Alz site and there's a lot to learn. Maybe there's a better way to try to start a thread, perhaps something like Lorita's "Talk to My Friends."

Anyway, just tossing around ideas, trying to figure it out like everyone is after the big change. I hope it will gradually get easier to use even though it's very different. I hope you will keep posting more as time goes on. I so appreciate hearing your thoughts, Iris. Even if you think they would be "demoralizing."

It all helps everyone. I hope, if you feel like it/when you feel like it, you'll pick out even just one thing, so we can listen, empathize, and give you some company. I for one, wouldn't mind your 'musings' on the main boards. I also know it can be helpful to have the devoted forum for writing specifically to that theme.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris and everyone. I totally understand your concerns about the Musings board being gone. With this new platform, as I understand it, the Association can make some minor "tweaks," I believe. If you would put your concerns down for the Moderator's / Administration to read, that would be helpful.

Lots of us are still struggling to figure this out. Please do hang in there with us, as we want the community to become family, like our old board had become. I can point you to a Moderator's thread if need be.

eagle

• Iris L.

Storycrafter, I did a search for "early stage" and came up with 953 hits. If you post any question about early stage, you will get responses. Not as many as before, but you will get more responses on this board than on a private group. This is my conclusion based upon 14 years participation. But of course, you are free to promote your group.

Eagle, I have already posted on the Moderator's thread. I have read responses to questions and posts, it does not seem as though there is interest in making changes. I am going to begin a Musings thread when I am feeling less morose.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Iris I hope you do start a Musing thread! I really enjoyed that thread and I learned a lot from it. It was insightful to know what others were truly thinking .

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

storycrafter - I’m still here. My Mom and step-dad are in stage 4. Although NP still declares Mom at MCI( she showtimes well). I know it’s not the same as a spouse but I can listen. I know this forum needs more publicity. On the other hand, I’m in a Facebook group too and the 20,000+ users there give me headaches with their drama toward each other. People here are very honest about their struggles but it’s much more of a team atmosphere. I don’t want to lose that.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi there, Iris -- I also miss the Musings forum. There were a lot of thought provoking posts there. I hope you do decide to start a Musings thread!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more