Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Josie in Podunk (formerly lostinpodunk) - Changed My Screen Name

When I first came here 2 years ago I truly was LostinPodunk. I was struggling against the tide of the not unexpected diagnosis…hoping/fighting for answers I now know aren't coming because there truly are none other than dealing with each day and changes as they come.

Now, thanks in great part, to all of you I do not feel so lost. What you all share here has been so valuable to me even so he remains at the mild to moderate stage 8 years into this gig. Thank you for that.

Along with the new format came the opportunity to reinvent my screen name to include my name and still retain the fact that I do live in Podunk…SC, USA…and, that by coming here I no longer feel so lost at sea.

In 2 years I haven't posted that much nor started many discussions on my own according to my stats. So, many of you may not even realize the change. And, that’s ok…I am not expecting to be Prom Queen.

Thank you for being here.

Josie

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I too feel better by reading and learning on this forum. I hope you are still enjoying the hummingbirds .

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

They have not come back yet.

However, I have a Robin’s nest with 3 beautiful blue eggs in an eace of the canopy out back. I set up a ladder out of the way where I can step up and take a quick peek…don’t want to disturb them.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Hi Josie. I'm glad you made it to the new system we have.

We have a robin's nest on top of the outside box for cable, and I walk about 5 feet from it every time I go to the garage. Mama robin flies off every time, but she builds (reconstructs) the nest in the same place every year. I think we've had her for at least 5 years now.

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed…

How lovely…5 years.

This is a first as my Handyman usually takes down the nests and tells me about it later. This year he told me as it was being built and I convinced him to let it stay. Now that is has eggs I hope he won’t forget and knock it down. I have been going out with him every morning and afternoon in the effort to keep the nest and watch the hatchlings.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Josie and Ed, so glad you both posted about your birds because I have 2 little bluebirds nest that have a couple of tiny eggs in them. Can’t wait to see them hatch! My hummingbirds are back, well some are. Right now I only have 9 feeders out but come June I will have all the feeders out. I love watching all birds!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I saw my first hummer this week, time to get the feeders out. I have a mourning dove nesting at eye level in a cedar by the barn, and a wren decided to build in my umbrella on the front porch. But wrens will nest in your hair if you stand still long enough. Probably too close to the cat though, who also likes to hang out at the front door at feeding time. Guess I need to find another umbrella for a while though. Two years ago our ducks hatched 22 babies in the umbrella basket. popular place!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more