Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Years to go. Dementia is so SLOW.

I'm no longer in the trenches. I feel so much for those of you still caring for your LO at home. I have no idea how I made it through all that. But I'm here to let a few thoughts out again, about life after placement.

I had a care plan meeting for DH at his MC yesterday. Hospice was there, too. It was a nice discussion, and I feel everyone is doing a great job of taking care of DH. If you're thinking of getting hospice involved - do it. Nothing but good to say about hospice.

DH has been pretty stable for the last 5 months or so. I asked what we might see as the next step in progression. I wasn't asking about life expectancy, because I know there's no way to know. Both the facility social worker and hospice nurses made clear that he's young (59) and in good health except for being a victim of having his brain slowly die. He has no other health concerns at all. They told me it's likely he'll live years. Or he could have something happen quickly (like aspiration pneumonia). No one knows.

I knew that. I've done research, I know how long this end stage can take. But it hit home for me for some reason. I'm exhausted going to see him every other day. I hate seeing him in the wheelchair, not able to move, not able to talk, really doesn't look at me. I could go less often, but then I feel like I've abandoned him. (My brain knows that's not true - try telling my heart.) I'm in this routine, and fewer visits would mean I'm not checking on him as often to make sure everything is ok. Yes, I trust the facility. No, I don't trust them to REALLY check on him. I can sit with him for 2 hours and really see what's going on. Staff there just doesn't have the time.

But I just can't see myself visiting every other day for years. I need to move on with my new life, on my own. I'm in this terrible place of being stuck in limbo between being married and being a widow.

I've decided I'm going to start a 2 day / 3 day visit pattern for a while. It's going to be really hard. Wish me luck.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This has to be a really really hard thing to handle for you. At some point you'll have to let go, and try to have a life. I know that's easier said than done. But your life is worth something too. I'm sorry it's so hard listening to your heart and your brain when they're not on the same page.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Exactly, Ed.

It's so hard to move on, when he's still here.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Josey- I think a gradual reduction in visits is a good idea. Especially since, as you say, he could live a long time yet. In addition, please consider a couple of 4 day trips for you this summer. You don’t have to make a big scheduled trip: just pick a place and go for 3 nights and wander during the day. Or find a tour company and book a 3-4 day trip with them. Just show up at the bus and they do the rest

• JoseyWales

Beachfan - I understand that guilt of feeling like you should have done something. I hope this doesn't offend you, but the fact that you did nothing for that bleed was for the best, if it helped him move on sooner. Of course you'd have done something if you knew, but you didn't. I'm so glad you have your daughter to talk with. No regrets. From everything you've said, both you and him had a wonderful life before this horror of dementia. I admire you for what you've been able to do.

Quilting - I'm thinking of a trip. The bus idea is a good one. I have a few co-workers who have actually suggested going on a trip together! I'm not sure I'm up to traveling with others right now, but a low-key trip alone might be a good idea.

Thanks all.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Josey, I sympathize a lot. My partner still very much knows who I am and over the last month, since we switch facilities, i have spent more time with her in MC than I probably spent with her in all of last year. I can visit every day, practically, so am there 5/7 mostly (minus the two weekdays that I work). I want to be there because she wants me there---but yes, it is wearing. It is such a nice change from last year, when I couldn't visit at all---but now it's the other extreme, and I have not yet found the happy medium. She will only let me help her bathe--and I'm glad to do it, but at some point she is going to need to get used to the aides there helping her. And while I had to much time on my hands last year with no motivation to do anything, now i feel emotionally much better, but am scrambling to keep up with everything I need to do and visit her also. It's a 45-minute trip each way.

I am glad she doesn't have much sense of time--if I tell her I will be there tomorrow, she doesn't really know the difference if it's the next day. For you, maybe there's some mercy in his not knowing. There's just no easy way to do this. You do need to live your life.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Josey,

For those of us still in the trenches, please live your life. Take a trip. Do things you may have been dreaming of for years. You have a life and you need to start living it. Let us know what you are doing that is fun and uplifting. Maybe you can now help us live vicariously through you.

• DiBush
    DiBush Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Dear Josey, thank you for your post. I, too, have recently placed my DH in a memory care center. He is not adjusting well and I find I have the need to still be his strongest supporter and loudest cheerleader. After being married for 57 years and working our way through many challenges together, this is the most separate we have ever been in trying to make sense of our life. I, too, have a very difficult time staying away from visiting him most everyday--and the trouble is, once I get to the center and see him, I need to stay not only for him but for myself as well. On his bad days I want to be there to make it a little easier for him; on his good days I want to be there to share that time with him. I asked the memory care center if it is better for me to stay away in order for him to gain some familiarity and comfort without me being in the picture. I get two different opinions: (1) it might be easier for him to accept the new without my being a reminder of the old. This would also give the staff the opportunity to interact with him without his looking to me to help answer questions and give him assistance in his needs. (2) This is a very difficult time for both partners. Visit as often as it is necessary for both of us to feel calm and connected. I feel none of us know how long we will live whatever age we are and I don't want to ever look back on wasted opportunity. Having said all of that, I understand your yearning to start living your life in a way that is authentic to you. I somehow thought it would be easier to put all faith and trust in the memory care center and be able to step away from being the caregiver. I was wrong. I am trying to live one day at a time. I, from time to time, take a day off from visiting and find that doesn't relieve my heart; it doesn't know how to take a day off. Yet. But both you and I will continue working on this challenge. Best of luck to you!

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thanks to Josey and the rest of you for sharing. It's so helpful to hear your experiences caring for your spouses. This is so hard, even when you get help with the caregiving. There's still all of the emotional baggage we have to sort through. Best to all of you.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Josey, you expressed exactly how I feel. My wife just finished her first year in MC and while she still knows me, I'm noticing that she doesn't smile as much when she sees me and even seems detached while I'm visiting every 2-3 days. Today while I spoke to a nurse about my wife's swollen wrist, I watched as she casually wandered to her "place" on the sofa in the TV room and didn't pay any attention when I left. That is a major change just in the past week or two.

I have so many mixed emotions I'm not sure I will ever straighten them all out. But I fully realize I have lost her. Now I must take care of me and get on with the years I have left. And, yes, easier said than done!

This book helped me realize there is no longer a "we". Now it is "me" and I'm determined to have a life I've been missing since dementia took my best friend. The book title is Neither Married Nor Single by Dr. David Kirkpatrick.

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Josey,

I'm not able to take advantage of this now, but with your DH in MC you may find this useful. Road Scholar has caregiver grants. https://www.roadscholar.org/about/giving/caregiver-grants-form/

Please have an adventure this summer

• JoseyWales

DJnAZ,

I hadn't heard of that book. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to get it. The title alone says what I've been struggling with.

• JoseyWales

PlentyQuiet - thanks for that link. An adventure is just what people have been telling me to do. I'm definitely going to look into it.

I'll hopefully get back to all of you with my adventure plans.

• World Wide Webb
    World Wide Webb Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I placed my DW in memory care 6 weeks ago after caring for her at home for three years. She was diagnosed with MCI 2 1/2 years ago but I knew something was amiss months earlier. She is now at the beginning of stage 7 and mostly non communicative. She’s only 70 and we’ve been married for almost 50 years. I still see her almost everyday. I’ve also hired private caregivers to supplement her care for 6 to 7 hours day. My DW has adjusted very well to her new home exceeding my wildest expectation. She settled in from day one and is never upset when I leave. She still knows me and smiles when she sees me. The staff said she laughs all the time. It helps me to see her daily and warms my heart when she smiles when she sees me. She is healthy otherwise and we may be looking at years at MCF. However, given her rapid progression, I expect we’re looking at months and not years.

I just ordered “Neither Married Nor Single” by Dr. David Kirkpatrick. Thank you for the recommendation. I’d like to move on with my life and have a friend who is helping me but being neither married or single is a hurdle we can’t get over yet. Hopefully we’ll get some guidance from the book.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

DJnAz, could you please post on the "Books" thread on the General Caregiver board so future members can easily learn about it?

Iris

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

I have been on this road 13 years DW has been in a facility for 5 1/2 years. 5 years since she had the slightest idea of who I am. And please don't say "she is in there and just cant talk"

I am just back from a 3 week cruise and semi work trip to Germany and Norway. I Facetimed with DW almost every day even from North of the arctic circle. no change. Saw her yesterday. she is well cared for.

My daughters want me to have a life. Cruises are nice for that. I went to Nuremburg to study how the Nazis came to power . it is really something to stand in in the court room where the trials took place. It made me think about life and suffering and death. I met with a colleague who lost his wife in January. We had dinner on the Rhine. Life goes on no matter what

• JoseyWales

Crushed, I often think of you when I think of how long I've been on this road. You were already traveling this road when I found this site, before my husband was even diagnosed. Your DW (and my DH) is that exception to "early on-set always goes faster."

And I couldn't agree more with the "she's still there" comment. DH isn't there any more. Unfortunately. I've seen the CT scans and MRIs. You can't be there when "there" is gone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more