Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

House maintenance, appliances, savings, etc

I'm not sure what my question is but maybe we'll all fiure it out by the time I'm done.

Between 2005 and 2010, we did a major kitchen and bath remodel and replaced every single major appliance in the house. And now it's 2023 and I know those appliances are going to start to need replacement again, as well as a couple other big necessary projects. I did a quick calculation of what that might cost and gagged on the number. I am feeling guilty and crass here, but am I out of line in thinking this is a good time to do some work on the house while we still have two "incomes." Once my partner is in MC, her income and savings will go to her expenses and I assume I'll be carrying the cost of everything related to the house.

What do others do about this? to be clear, I want to be careful to maintain our reserves and not spend down the funds she'll need for MC later. And at the same time, the house needs what it needs and I do intend to continue living here. My current thought is to open some high interest CDs for appliance replacement and start pricing the other projects. It will be too easy to stick my head in the sand and put everything off when the AZ gets farther along.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife passed away 1 year ago. I'm finding that just her little income is missed. In my opinion, you should get the work done while you have 2 incomes.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Everything seems so expensive these days. I suppose appliances and such will only go up in price. I wait until repairs or appliances are actually broken or ready to break before I replace them. Things aren’t made as well as they used to be and who knows how long they will last? When I think of what groceries cost us these days compared to a year or two ago, the difference over the months won’t take long to add up to the price of some appliances.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just my 2 cents if you have money that could be in a CD do it. I have been growing the proceeds from our farm sale. I varied amounts and timing so they are spread out if I know the account that funds the MCF is gonna need some cash inflow I an drop one out when it matures.5% of 300k is 15k a year income I don't have to produce. The CDs now are mostly short term 7 to 13 months and then a higher term 27 term is a little less 4.6% even doing short term is great for what you are talking about. most checking accounts, not all are bringing from .01 to probably 2 percent ? if you can budget your basic budget stuff and keep as much in the CDs IMHO.

stewart

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Different opinions, but I agree with Ed, get what needs done now while you can. Once the Alzheimer’s gets worse you want have the time or the energy. Just my opinion. Last year we had a major plumbing problem that ended up being very expensive. The workers were here for nearly a week and my dh wanted them gone 10 minutes after they got here. I had to take him for drives every day and leave the workers in my home just to keep him calm. You will know how to make your own decisions when you have to make them. Best of luck to you.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thanks for your responses. Stewart, I'm socking as much cash as I can into the 5% cds and a high interest savings account that makes almost as much. My original idea was to stagger the maturity dates so I'd have property taxes set aside for the next few years. I think the next savings goal will be to create some smaller ones and name them "dishwasher" and "water heater." Since we're not saving for vacations or travel any more, we can put it into the house. It desperately needs to be painted and some gutter problems solved, along with some tree work - need-to-do projects that will take a zillion phone calls to get estimates and schedule the work.. good reminder, too, that she will hate having people working inside the house so maybe we start with the outdoor projects first.

Thanks for the reassurance that this isn't selfish and this is probably the best chance I'll have to get it done.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This was something mom's CELA brought up when we discussed Medicaid planning. Her CELA specifically addressed spending down dad's SEP-IRA ahead of hers and proactively making home improvements in the Medicaid spend-down period.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Another thing to consider is that certain problems should be taken care of ASAP, because letting them go could cause other damage. Gutter problems is only one of the things that would fit that scenario.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Have you spoken to a CELA? This is critical.

Your wife has dementia and is working?

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

We've taken care of the CELA details. She is retired, I am not.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

HollyBerry,

Take care of the house! Once the first appliance breaks, they all die in succession. If you have plumbing issues, address them NOW. Medicaid doesn't penalize people for home improvements or other types of spending. (gifting is an exception). Ive been replacing old appliances, updating plumbing, having trees trimmed so the insurance company will still keep me as a client. Trust me, having home repair issues on top of caregiving is PTSD waiting to happen.

I also just replaced our 17 year old vehicle. Three calls to roadside assistance with DH in the car and no bathrooms in sight were game changers.

Take Care,

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living