Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory Care Placement - Assisted Living ??

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 891
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I know the time will come when I need to make the decision for my DH about a Memory Care. My daughter-in-law is a nurse and said to get him on the waiting list now. Are there facilities where I can stay with him? Like a one bedroom apartment. He's 78 and I'm 75. We don't have a home to sell and already live in an apartment. Right now, I just can't imagine leaving him there alone. 😪

Comments

• CorrieG
    CorrieG Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I know that there are 55 and older places that start out as 'retirement living' and then transition into full time care all at the same location. A couple who has no issues could move in and then as one or both need more help, it's right there in the same complex. My aunt with Alz lived there and it was a nice mix of people. She joined the choir and had lots of companionship with people with a variety of abilities and disabilities. I think it was pretty expensive, though.

I also know a couple where the husband went into MC and his wife rented an apartment a block away. She spent more time with him than at her own house.

Hope that helps!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Diane, the first facility where my partner was (we just recently moved at the end of April) had a couple living on the memory care unit--like your situation, it was the husband with dementia and I think his wife just wanted to be with him. I know no more details than that, i didn't see them very often. But with enough lead time, you might find a facility willing to accommodate you. Or that might have independent/assisted living in the same facility, so that you could at least be close even if you didn't spend the night in the same bedroom.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

An Assisted Living Facility might be an option for the near future. ALF typically provide a small apartment with some support such as meals and weekly cleaning but not the full support that would be provided in memory care. AL is much less expensive than MC but as long as you can handle things like dressing, bathing and eating it might work for a while. One thing you need to weigh in your decision is that as your LO declines the ALF will likely have some say as to when he needs to be placed in MC or a NH. Think about what your needs will be down the road. Would you want to stay in AL if he had to be placed?

I considered living in MC wife my wife but the facilities staff warned me against it. They told me I was far to engaged/active and doing so would likely have serious negative impacts on me. I remember the MC’s director saying to me, “think about how difficult it is living with one person with AD, now multiple that by 18”.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's hard to speak to your situation with some particulars.

Where I live, there are many dementia-appropriate facilities. In some parts of the country, there may be waiting lists for certain types of care.

In my state, Medicaid does not fund MC, so a person would need to go to a SNF if care was needed and the PWD did not have assets to cover their care. Some of the nicer SNFs, do have waiting lists for their Medicaid beds. My top choice for dad was a state-run veteran's home which typically has about a 6 month wait. In the neighboring state where Medicaid does fund MC, there are wait lists for the limited MC-funded beds and priority is given to current residents who have been self-pay for 2-3 years and who now need Medicaid funding.

What Corrie seems to be describing is a CCRC (continuing care retirement community) as opposed to an age-restricted 55+ community. These can be a great option. One of the men in my mom's IRL support group lived in a lovely one near me. He started out with his wife in an independent apartment and dining in the main dining room for lunch and dinner. They had weekly housekeeping and optional laundry services. The community had scheduled buses for run to shopping and outings and private cars available for an additional fee to go to other appointments and such. When she needed more care, she moved to their SNF which made it easy for them to eat together and make use of the pool and walking trails. The potential downsides are that they generally have a hefty entrance or buy-in fee. One my uncle suggested would have been close to $600K for a faux Victorian cottage with additional monthly fees of per person based on their needs. Another caveat is that some of these CCRCs do have an entrance exam to weed out PWD. The reason for this is 2-fold-- they want to present themselves as offering carefree living (and most seniors aren't interested in interacting with PWD they don't know) and it contains their costs by not having to provide dementia-level care to more than an average number of residents.

AL is an option. TBH, a hospitality-model AL isn't going to be a whole lot different than where you are now. You'd have a smallish apartment but would be providing the bulk of the hands-on care for your DH. Many do offer some meals, often there's housekeeping weekly, medication distribution and a daily well check along with scheduled transportation.

I have heard of spouses moving into a MCF with their LO but it's pretty rare unless both parties have dementia. At dad's MCF, there were a couple double rooms; the monthly fee was only about $500 less than the $7200 a private room would cost. The idea of paying almost $15K a month to live in a place with no privacy does not appeal. YMMV.

HB

• SDianeL

thank you all so much for the info. I realized after reading your feedback that my daughter would probably not be happy with me moving with him. He's her step-dad and she is very concerned about my mental & physical health. Meanwhile, I might look into help with some housekeeping where we are now and increase the respite and home care until he needs full time care. I'm usually so strong & logical but this is heartbreaking.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I took care of my DH who has Alzheimer's for 4 yrs. We moved to a place that had independent living, assisted living and memory care. I am still in our independent living apartment and I had to move him to memory care 10 mo ago. He is in the bldg next to me and I visit him everyday. His rent is $ 5200 , and mine for a 1 bedroom is $ 2250. so it is a hefty bill every month. I don't think a person who does not have memory problems would even be allowed to live in memory care. I would suggest you check out what is available in your area for a memory care place near where you currently live. As you know this does not get better and I truly think if I had continued to take care of my DH 24/ 7 I would have suffered major health issues.You may be in better shape and he may not be as bad shape as my DH was. He is 93 and I am 83. If your d-i-l mentioned looking into a MC place and she is a nurse, she may have more of an objective perspective than what you have. Always good to have a plan B before your health is affected. I am relieved not to have to be on 24/7 alert and the MC help have been a life saver. Hopefully you can find a place near where you presently live.

• SDianeL

Thank you so much for your info. It is helpful to know what others have faced. My DH is 78 and I'm 75. So far my health is OK but I do have foot problems & back issues that flare up once in awhile & make it extremely difficult. So far he's able to care for himself but I can tell he's going downhill more quickly than before. I think you're right about a spouse living in the MC area. Besides the cost, I'm not sure it would be wise for my mental health. So once he is placed in MC, I then would have 3 options. Move in with my daughter & her husband (which I don't really want to do because I like having my own place), stay where I am or move into another apartment near his MC location.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I moved my husband to memory care a year ago. He was already having times of not recognizing me. Now he just knows I am a familiar face but not more special than his caregivers. Once he stops recognizing you it becomes easier to leave him. My husband never asked about our home or our daughter or our dog once he moved. It will be much harder on you than him but your family want to have you around for as long as possible. Take care of yourself and remember to feel no guilt for your choices. You are important. You deserve to have happiness during the rest of your life. You did not cause his dementia. Don’t let dementia take down two people.

• SDianeL

Gig Harbor: thank you so much for this. I needed it today. Been a rough 3 days.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more