Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What to do. Need a sounding board

2»

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWDs have anosognosia. Also alcoholics have some degree of it. Do not wait around for him to realize that things are falling apart. Take steps that the members suggest. Is he self employed? Is he working with power tools and saws? You have to get some control over finances.

• Sherry LD
    Sherry LD Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Yes self employed. Just boss man not so much with tools-guess that is a plus 😢. I have my own account,

but my name is on the business account and his accounts

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sherry, allowing him to drive (if that is the case) is playing Russian Roulette. Drinking while driving AND driving with dementia are both things that you can be held responsible for. In the worse case scenario, it won't make much difference whose names are on the accounts. They will be closed out to pay court ordered damages.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Sherry LD

You have 2 critical issues with your husband driving. While we all know that drinking under the influence of is illegal; driving with a dementia diagnosis is also impaired driving. Even if he never took another drink, he probably shouldn't drive. Ever. Have you asked your agent if your policy would cover him in the event of an accident with a dementia diagnosis in his medical record. You could be sued and lose everything.

This is a very BTDT topic for me so I truly understand how hard this is. My own dad abused alcohol after my sister died in 1994. He was diagnosed late in the game because my mother was in terrible denial about how ghastly he was. By the time she agreed to consider asking their PCP to screen him she had almost died with him as her medical advocate and he had burned through his family and all their friends with his obnoxious unfiltered behavior. His PCP docs encouraged my mom to limit his alcohol and when she attempted this, he went to the bar. More than once my mother woke to good Samaritans in her house seeing dad home safely.

Dad eventually had a psychotic episode that landed him in the ER. Long story short, he not only had Alzheimer's, he had a second ARD for which treatment included an abstinence. I moved them closer to me so I could support my mom in this. IME, his neurologists were clueless about alcohol use disorder. They'd tell dad not to drink. They'd tell mom not to let dad drink. Seriously? The man was aggressive on a good day and she was supposed to be the alcohol-police? Yeah, no.

Sometimes it seemed he was really enjoying his Chardonnay but had forgotten he'd already had quite a bit because of his short term memory deficits. Other times he was acting more as a toddler asserting what little control he had by forcing mom to watch him drink not realizing that every sip damaged his already compromised brain. And yes, we did try to swap out non-alcoholic beers and wine. His brain was broke- not his palate. We also tried watering down his drinks but never got to a point where he could be weaned off.

We were never able to fully get his addiction under control until he was placed in a secure memory care unit. And even then, he talked about drinking and partying regularly. The day he died he told me about getting in really late from the bar across the street having met up with his brother and his golf buddies. And frankly, with Alzheimer's in the mix extending his life so he could end up in stage 7 wasn't much of a goal. That said, medication did help. If you aren't working with a geripsych, I encourage you to find one. Dad's geripsych found a combination of low dose medications that relieved his anxiety and made him more amenable to limiting his consumption. We noticed a real difference with the addition of Wellbutrin to the mix. Wellbutrin is used in smoking cessation and disordered eating so it kind of makes sense.

In your shoes, it might make sense to reach out to Al Anon for support.

HB

• Sherry LD

Thanks for your input! I am in total agreement!with you and Ed! I am looking into urgent hep from either his pcp or neurologist right now. He has decided to use his daughter as surrogate which should be interesting as she is in denial. I did advise him he needed to call her before we do paperwork. Interesting about the Wellbutrin. He is also “overeating “ if available at times which is crazy. He never did this before

• Sherry LD

Good news! DH’s daughter okay with being surrogate.

AND we had a good week. Amazing what getting away from the beer will do. DH is finally starting to realize I cannot deal with his ugliness when he is drinking. Praying this is our new normal! I think we just might be able to get through this “thing” if he can stick with this new normal. Just hate that my part of my brain that is waiting for the next stone to fall. Oh well. Guess I will take this “good” timed while I can,

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sherry ,

My comment concerns the alcoholism. I write as a recovering alcoholic, and I believe that total absence is the only way to sobriety. The program is built around not taking the "first drink". One drink always leads to the craving for more. I would treat the alcoholism by either treatment or that he be referred to Alcohol Anonymous. If he refuses to go, I suggest that you go to some Alanon meetings (designed for those who live with alcoholics.) I believe that one drink leads to the craving for more and the alcoholic is unable to stop.

My heart goes out to you as it sounds to me that you are dealing with two terminal progressive diseases, and I urge you to follow the suggestions for caring for yourself. As the dementia progresses, I would try to eliminate the alcohol completely.

• Sherry LD

Davegrant

I totally agree. Unfortunately I have a son who is also an alcoholic so am well versed in this. He also is recovering but slips time to time.

DH has noticed the difference in just this last week, so I am praying he will stick with it or I will have to find a more drastic solution. He knows that I am over the yelling.

• Sherry LD

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here. I have set an appointment on July 11 but don’t (with a Cleop) think it’s going to stick. I will be there though. DH went 2 1/2 weeks without drinking and everything was nice. Back to drinking again and things are off the charts. Jealousy and and took off again. Drinking before he leaves. This time for 51/2 hrs. I cannot keep this up. He missed two payments on the lawnmower in the last 6 months accumulating late fees. I offered today to take over if he wanted to just transfer monies and that turned into a nightmare. Now he wants to know what it will take to buy me out (we own1.25acres) but didn’t like my answer because about 3x what we mortgaged it for. But refused to let me buy him out He has appointment for his neurologist on July 5 I had planned on going We shall see

I cannot do this!!!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.

Welcome back, Sherry. You are in a tough spot. However, you will have to become more assertive. A person with dementia will never consciously stop drinking because they just don't remember to stop drinking. No matter how much they proclaim that they want to stop or will stop. As for finances and the business, YOU have to get control, one way or another. Both dementia and alcoholism are progressive diseases. The outcome is predictable. Take steps now before it's too late.

Iris

• Sherry LD

Thanks for your input. Yes certified elderly attorney. I was typing too fast. Things got really weird after that. Someone called 911 and the police showed up. DH had been asleep for a couple hours at that point so not sure who or why they were called. Told them everything was fine at that time. I appreciate you adding Ladytexan’s link. Very helpful

• Sherry LD

Thank you Iris! I appreciate being able to vent. Yesterday is the first time that I have cried about this and pray that I can stay strong enough to at least get him some help. Truly don’t think I will be there for the whole thing. Too much baggage over the years from other partners is making me cringe on some of the things that are going on. I plan on talking to his dr one way or another

• Sherry LD

And today DH acts like nothing happened. Even went on his banking as I suggested to see if he might have paid wrong vendor. Very docile today. Of course I know that is part of the disease but doesn’t make it any easier. Guess you take what you can 😳

• Iris L.

Sherry, women are like tea bags--you never know how strong they are until you put them in hot water!

You can do this, Sherry! Keep taking deep breaths, put one foot in front of the other, and go forth! Keep posting, there is much support here.

Iris

• Sherry LD

I wish! We are like oil and water anymore 😢. Came home today and he’s buzzed. Made the remark that it would be nice to come home and him not be buzzed all the time…. Opps screwed up again. He took off after cussing me out Turned phone off so I couldn’t track him

• Sherry LD

Dr wasn’t much help this time. Basically let DH tell him that he didn’t think he had gotten worse. So supposedly he has stabilized …. Bull! I agree with Bil- the Calvary is Not coming!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

Sherry - I just read through all these posts. No one, and I mean no one, can force you to stay beyond what you can endure - and no one should judge you at that time. I am also concerned about him making his daughter his POA and not you, you are the caregiver - it’s not going to work well if you have to ask her for money for household expenses, his care, or your own needs. You should be the POA and she should be the alternate. Or you should see that lawyer and get a legal separation to protect yourself from legal liability for his activities while drinking.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

I am sorry you are facing this, but glad you are engaging here. You will get very wise, experienced recommendations from people who have nothing to gain except knowing that we are helping, just as others helped us.

My strong suggestion is that you do not tell DD everything you are thinking or seeing. Nor your DH. Please get the Durable Power of Atty docs done now. Do not share the decision-making responsibilities. It just complicates things, and especially because you and DD are not on the same page - the stakes will only get higher.

Driving is another thing that had to be secretly stopped at my house. DH has anosognosia, from very early on. Nothing anyone could say, would have convinced him he had a driving problem. Or a thinking problem. So, I stopped wasting my breath, and disappeared his car after months of attempts to disable it, etc. And on diagnosing Dr's advice, we got the legal stuff done ASAP. So glad I did. Long story I won't go into all the details now, but just know that many, many adult stepchildren decide you are the enemy as this situation progresses.

You can do the caregiving and dirty work with no help for a long time, but sooner or later any assets or property may be perceived as their potential inheritance which they want you to have no part of. I am in that very situation myself and even with POAs done early, they are challenging them in court. It is infuriating and so pathetic. But in their minds 2nd wives especially, can be seen as reducing part of what they have a "right to". We are people of very modest means. It doesn't matter, they see dollar signs and a house, and they want all that they can get. This is a fairly recent development so, like you, I had been discussing lots with them for years, and trying to include them but in hindsight that was a mistake.

There are several such stories on these boards that should make you RUN, not walk, to the nearest attorney or notary and get this done before the week is out. It is important enough to take some time off, as Iris suggested. Maybe you can get some FMLA time? Repeating, I would not discuss with DD as it really is not her decision but also you could end up regretting it. We can't emphasize enough, please get the DPOA done while he is still competent to do so. With alcohol abuse in the mix, his decline can happen quickly and with lots of witnesses or events that suggest he needs someone different to take control of property and person if you can't (or won't) do what is needed.

I'm sorry to be so blunt. This forum is lots of gratitude and many praise reports too, but when we share our worst experiences, it is not to discourage -- it is so you can avoid some of the same mistakes or pitfalls. You can do this. First things first. A certified elder law attorney if possible. And don't overly discuss with DH either. Dementia is notorious for getting cold feet at the last minute. Just matter of fact set the appointment, head out to lunch with a stop at the appointment first as if it's not a big deal, give him credit for the idea, prep the atty in advance, etc. etc. Just do it. Good luck!

• Sherry LD

Thanks quilting- I agree with you especially about the poa. We go this week to CELA and I will bring that up again at that time. I think he was hurt when I told him I was using my sister and son

• Sherry LD

Thank you butterflywings! Absolutely agree! I quit telling DD anything when it became a bother (I felt) and secondary to her anxiety/heart issue. My youngest DS, different father- DH and I have no kids together- has been working on our house with DH. He sees a lot of what is going on and works well with DH,

still trying to work out logistics on his vehicles because he is still mobile

• Sherry LD

So, good news(?) we saw the CELA last week. All documents start with me , then his DD, then my DS on his documents and was able to get mine as well and atty told him I needed someone besides him as the person to make decisions and he didn’t get mad, yay! One thing down, I am sure many to go.

one of his trucks broke down and he put in a shop to be fixed yet again. Unfortunately this just reinforces in his mind why he needs two vehicles. Even after atty and I have reiterated that we cannot get his Medicaid process started if he has more than one vehicle he refuses to deal with it. Like I tried to explain to him if something happens before his Medicaid is in effect the facility he might need will eat any monies we do have and it isn’t much. And now I am being told Medicaid can go after my IRA or 401k?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more