Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stage 6 and 7

I have been on here since last September but never posted. My DH and and me have been married for 55 yrs. He has Dementia but now in stage 6-7 at home with me . I take care of him I have learned so much from here and reading books on the subject. I sometimes feel I could write my own book. He still listens to me and but his memory is no longer there. He does not know friends,our kids or our grandchildren. We have great friends and kids that will help. I want to keep him home as long as possible. He told me the other day "I wish I could have married you". I am 77 and he will be 77 soon so easy to be with him, I take him everywhere with me. I know about stage 6-7 but would like to hear more about it because it dosen't seem that people like to discuss it and would be helpful to some of us that are in those stages.

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here. There have been a couple of recent posts about stage seven. Reading those might be helpful.

• Babz0226
    Babz0226 Member Posts: 52
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thank you and I did but any other info I would be happy to hear, I am very patient DH and I think that has been a big help for him but now I feel at this point a little scared of what is ahead. I will always keep reading the posts I do twice a day to stay informed. Thanks to all that post .

• Babz0226

Thank you so much for this post it means a lot to me. We have been together for so long and our family is always there for us as our friends. I feel I have handle things well keeping him on a schedule and just reading and watching videos but this last part seems unknown no matter how you have educated yourself but I will be here for him until the end. I have been born with a lot of patience and calmness always trying to stay calm and I believe that has been a big help to him the reason he will listen to me.

• Babz0226

All these responses mean soooo much.

Thank you

• Babz0226

Sorry for your loss but know you helped me today.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

We are at the end of Stage 6, and all the ugliness that comes with that stage, with my DH. I am tired, mentally more than physically. Is it ridiculous to think this, but i often wonder if when the physical demands increase might the mental drain on me lift a little bit? He is home, and i hope to keep it that way. I am losing myself, but have faith there will be relief. My patience wanes with the never-ending constant of everything that tests it. If you know, you know 😏 Can anyone please tell me their experience, did moving into 7 in any way give them relief?

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 2023

Howboutnow, I found 6 to be the hardest stage. My husband was a little aggressive in Stage 6. Very difficult because it was so unlike my sweet husband. Plus the toileting , loss of bowel movement , etc. was just so much work. He moved into 7 and once he lost the ability to walk I found it easier having him contained in one room. The aggression subsided with Serequel . Got my sweet husband back . I lost that out of control feeling you have in 6.

You have new challenges but for me having him bed bound was easier than him roaming free trying to unlock doors , wander around Target, approach people he didn’t know etc. That was my experience

• Howaboutnow

Battlebuddy, thank you very much. Same with the out-of-character aggression poking out in Stage 6. More than that even, it’s the constant moving, wandering, getting into things, peeing on floor, bowel accidents (though not super frequent), shadowing, all while sharing no memories of us, cause they are erased, and no one to discuss anything, even the simplest decisions that need to be made can’t be discussed because it will likely cause anxiety and repeated illogical questions. I must keep every worry, concern, or need for advice inside. I have to appear to have confidence doing things i’ve never done before or else he will get upset and try to make me stop, like handling & maintaining equipment for yard or vehicles. We have to maintain a facade all while caring for an adult cognitive toddler. That sounds harsh to me,,,to reference a toddler, but i think it’s accurate.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

I believe we are in stage six somewhere but not sure where because so many traits overlap with other stages. My dw has calmed a bit after I took her off the amitriptyline but I wonder if I'm just in the eye of the storm and the outbursts and extremes will be back with a vengeance. I also wonder and hope the worst part of that is over and we are on the other side but I don't think we are that close to stage 7 yet. Another or two maybe. She is sitting right behind me right now and falling asleep. She's not a napper at all and when she's awake she wants to always be eating or going somewhere. I'm wondering if the little naps she has been taking while she sits in my office at work or while I'm on the computer at home are the emergence of more of that to come. I can only hope. :)

Very informative to read all of the posts.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

In Iris L's thread on (not) "Leaving PWDs Home Alone", I shared this Tam Cumming's Stages model which gives estimated mental/functional ages for our PWD LOs. The toddler analogy is accurate in terms of their capacity due to disease progression and it is not an insult. It's the reality of dementias and our LOs' exhausting behavior plus our caregiving reflects that.

[See] the Tam Cummings chart that includes the "functional age" at each stage- e.g Mid-Stages: Stage 4 is the same as a 12 year old on up; Late Stages: Stage 5 functions like a 4-12 year old; and by Stage 6 we are dealing with a PWD LO who is mentally equivalent to a 2-4 year old. That's the reality.

Microsoft Word - DBATv1.docx (wsimg.com)

• Howaboutnow

Thank you, yes, regressive cognitive age is a reality, though a harsh one 😏 https://www.mccare.com/pdf/fast.pdf A similar progression “scale” here is one we seem to be tracking. Have to say though….adding up the duration in Stage 7 in this particular model is frightful..

• Caring62
    Caring62 Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

After 10 years with ALZ, It was both heartbreaking and a relief when my 84-YO mother transitioned into Stage 7. The prior two years included hospitalizations and a surgery related to falls. As Mom moved through Stage 6 she was become abusive (verbally and physically) with caregivers. Mom was impulsive and would get herself in physical situations quickly that resulted in the falls. I believe the falls contributed to her progression into Stage 7. She lives now is an excellent AFH that focuses on comfort care. Mom can no longer walk or participate in interactive communications but is so much calmer (stage and care meds).

After one hospitalization, when Palliative care team asked our family what our care goals were for Mom, our response was the we don't want her to be in pain or to be scared. I think we are there. This is the relief.

• Babz0226

I keep thinking I can keep him home with me slowly entering Stage 7, What I want to know am just thinking and wishing I can do this, since my last post on Stage 6-7 now helping with : shaving, showering, and helping him with bathroom bm wipes. He has forgotten how to wash his hands but still is so calm and listens to me but he is like a toddler for sure. I just want to keep him home if possible we still try to go for walks and he is still eating well. How do you know when to call Hospice so confused on that issue??

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

ok this has been very enlightening for me. Ive read several staging guidelines, and wasnt quite sure where my DH was, but your posts really hit home. i know now thst we are in stage 6, although DH has stopped being defiant with me for the most part. He is so nasty to others, like the poor PTS who have worked with him, its so out of character. I also agree, having sadly been through the caregiving experience with my mom and dad, that confinement for the patient is freeing for the caregiver. My children don't get this, so I don't discuss it with them any longer.

Thanks for these brutally honest posts. I feel I'm not alone in my thinking.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney