Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I’m shattered - and this new format isn’t helping

I apparently have the dubious honor of having been on this forum for 7 years.. I pretty much stay away since it changed however. Intuitive it’s not and I don’t need any more complications in my life. Ok, rant off.

After 20 years of caregiving, the last 5 in a facility, his tbi has crossed the rubicon. Tbi/CTE are completely different from alz - until they’re not. I’m so exhausted I’m broken. After 20 years with this anvil hanging my head are we really nearing the end, or just another plateau.

i would simply like to know what I can not know. 20 years is too damn long

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I have a grandchild with TBI. It is a rough road. How can we help?

Judith

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

NorthWoods, Your pain is palpable as you share your current experience. I have no personal experience with tbi so I can only offer an open ear and open heart. I don't care for the new format either. That said, please feel free to post, even to rant, anytime. I find that others truely listen and care. And that helps a little. I pray for strength and a little peace for you.

Tom

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad you found the wherewithal to post. Please do more when you can. It all sucks, no matter the origin.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi NorthWoods,

I am so sorry that you have been dealing with this for so long. It is unimaginable. You are amazing to have endured for so long. I pray that you soon have an end to this suffering.

Maybe you could go to a counselor and talk about your pain and anger. It has helped me. Of course, this forum has been the best help because I feel I have real friends who understand and support. I have finally resorted to an antidepressant because my health has been affected by the stress. I am hoping it helps me.

With all of your years of endurance, I can only imagine the experience you have with coping. You may not see that now because you are tired and beat down. In the future, I hope that you will feel well enough to share what you have learned along the way.

In the meantime, please stay in touch and know that you are not alone.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending a virtual hug. I don't know what I would do without this forum to vent. Just people listening and understanding helps. You feel so alone because nobody understands except those here who are going through it. It's terrifying and heartbreaking.

• ​NorthWoods
    ​NorthWoods Member Posts: 15
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

ive been trying to figure out how to express my gratitude but everything sounds so trite. Maybe because it can’t be explained. I’m hanging on to a frayed rope but I feel some stronger today. I need to find my little buddy and blow some bubbles He’s 2.5 and puts life in perspective

thank you for reminding me denise, I have learned a lot. most importantly, even when you can’t possibly have time, take it anyway and take care of yourself

Again, thank you all so much for being here for me.

p.s. I just got a notice that I’ve been “promoted to new member”. If only

• Lola V
    Lola V Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Our grandson, who is 2.5, is our little lifesaver. DH is so much calmer when his little buddy is around. It’s really amazing.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((NorthWoods)))

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia