Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello

2»

Comments

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Denise1847-i agree,,,our world is very isolating. It’s easy to feel like we are alone in this, because in our personal real-life circle of friends/family we are the only one’s doing this and while others are sympathetic, i do believe only those that have walked this themselves have a clue what this life is like. But everyone here gets it in spades 🙏

• STNDFRM
    STNDFRM Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

You're not alone. In the short time I have been here, I feel supported and encouraged.

• Lola V
    Lola V Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I used to believe that the church would be a source of support, until our pastor told DH it would be best if he didn’t come back. It was right after I discovered texts and voicemails from another woman. He knew DH had dementia, but just wanted him gone. We’ve started going to a new church, so I’ll try to get past the negative expectations and make new friends. 🙏🏻

• Lola V

Thank you! I’m going to move all cleaning supplies to a locking pantry. Goodness, the things I never think of!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Lola I hope your newer church proves more supportive. This journey is hard enough without the naysayers, so--even though you may have wished it otherwise--I say good riddance.

Re the texts and emails: you may have already seen that there are many similar threads, others who have experienced similar things. Hard to know how much the dementia was playing into it, BUT: from here on out, he is at risk for scamming. You may need to think about limiting his phone and internet access, and freeze his credit with all three agencies. If you don't have power of attorney, you need to talk to a certified elder law attorney about getting it. You can always slip his phone into airplane mode (he may not notice), break it, lose, change the wi-fi password without telling him: any and all of these strategies have been used.

• Lola V

It really is so hard. We even have family members who don’t believe he has dementia. They live hours away and DH only calls them when he’s mentally in a good place, which is rare. I do believe the situation with the other woman is 100% related to FTD and ALZ. His ability to understand that it was wrong is just gone. I’m monitoring him closely now, since the shock has worn off. I’ve let go of the anger as well. Now I’m in the mode of protector!

As for my new church, the pastor and several others have offered to help in any way they can. That means a lot in this journey! 💜

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lola, you have a great attitude! Glad you found a church that is willing to offer support. That's huge.

• Lola V

I try to keep a good attitude, but some days I lose it. Lol it’s a good thing I’ve found a place to vent. 😆

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more