Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband with Dementia

This is my first post. My husband was never good at names or driving places, so it was only about 4 years ago that I noticed his problem was greater. I have been told that he does not have ALZ but instead dementia. He was a very outgoing, likeable. charismatic person who had his own business. After it became obvious that he had a problem I had to sell his business and take over running the commercial rental property that we have. He has had Chron's disease most of his life and lives with an ileostomy.

We have two children. One of which has made it very obvious that he does not want to spend any of his money or time on us. We were treated so badly at his home last Christmas by our son only that I left physically ill and exhausted. This same son shows no respect to our daughter either. Our daughter moved back to our city, but she has AS burger's disease and sometimes I feel like I now have more responsibility added to me.

I have done ok with my husband for the most part. I still take him to Wednesday and Sunday church, sometimes we dine with some people.

My husband either sleeps, eats or is in the bathroom. He does not speak much anymore.

I have found that recently I have a constant feeling of anxiety that is turning into or also becoming depression. My physician has taken me off one medication to relieve the side effects and today I decided to see another doctor for adjusting my anti-depressants,

The problem that I cannot seem to shake is the feeling of loneliness. I have found that we no longer socialize with couples because we are no longer a couple, and I don't seem to fit with the widows or widowers because I still have a husband.

I also don't know what kind of dementia he has. I have always taken one day at a time but recently I feel overwhelmed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Bitsey,

I am so sorry that you are having these stressful experiences. We can all relate, and there will be some great advice here, you can be sure of that. It sounds as thought you have your legal ducks in order. This is priority number one. You will see this echoed all over the site, about going to see an elder law attorney, etc.

Do you have any help at home so that you can get out by yourself or with a friend? I'm finding that this is my priorty for this fall. We need to get out, even if only to have small talk with strangers. Also, the local library is a great place to meet new people. Libraries have become community centers, and there are many social events there. Will your daughter enjoy a concert? Most libraries have free musical events.

Tomorrow i am interviewing a retired lady who i am hoping will come to the house and watch over my DH while I work from home for a few hours a day. I need to be able to focus without him distracting me. Fingers crossed! Next step is to find someone who can free me up so that I can leave the house!

I think the loneliness and the depression are part of this rotten deal . And a lot of us feel that we don't really 'fit in" with a particular social group. I can say that this forum is a great support system. You can vent your frustrations with us!

One more thing... if you like to sing, joining a chorus or choir is GREAT for your mental health. You dont have to be talented to experience the joy. Music is what keeps me going.

I hope these ideas were helpful. It takes us awhile to be able to make ourselves a prority, because we have so many other things to take care of.

Take good care,

Maureen

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Hi Bitsey. Welcome to the forum. The people here have been my lifeline. I'm especially sorry that your son isn't supportive. You can't control other's behavior. Sometimes I find that I just need to ignore others who aren't a positive in our lives.

I completed empathize with feeling overwhelmed. I find that focusing on one thing at a time is how I get through all this. Make a list, handle what you can, and be kind to yourself.

Post on the forum when you need help, a sympathetic ear, or just to vent. We're here for you. Heck, we're here WITH you. All on this journey together.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Bitsey, I have the same problem with isolation, loneliness and depression. I go for walks when I can, talk to neighbors, read, exercise and nap. Rinse and repeat. If it is possible for you to get someone to come in and stay with your DH while you go out for awhile, that would really help. I wish I had more to offer.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Hi Bitsey,

Welcome to the forum group. I am sorry for the reason, but glad you are here.

I too can identify with the feelings of isolation. Our society tends to separate socially into singles and couples. Those of us on this dementia journey don't easily fit into either group. You mention participating in your church activities on Sundays and Wednesdays. Have you sought and found any support there? I have been blessed to have good support from my church. But not all find this to be the case.

I too have 2 children. They live on the other side of the country from us. My daughter has mental health issues and would not be of any help even if she lived nearby. My son is supportive to a degree, but does not fully grasp the dementia struggle. I'm glad that your daughter is nearby. And, understandably, her Asperger's makes it a challenge for her to emotionally support you. It's good that you are working with your doctors and trying to take care of yourself. This is so important, yet frequently neglected.

Here I've found much needed advice, support, and even just an understanding group to whom I can vent. I hope you will find this community loving and helpful too.

Tom

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Bitsey, welcome. Glad you're here but for the reason. We caregivers know exactly what you are going through. Loneliness, isolation, depression, anxiety are all part of what this terrible disease does to the caregiver. For the last 2 years I have felt like I'm in prison. I shake off that feeling by focusing on my DH and trying to be a better caregiver to him. My DH, 78, was diagnosed with dementia 2 years ago (they think vascular but without an MRI they can't be sure and he can't have an MRI). Anyway, sadly it wouldn't make a difference if we knew what type. The behaviors are similar. Before his diagnosis we traveled full time in an RV for 12 years. A great adventure that we both loved. I realized something was wrong during COVID when we parked in one place for awhile. We haven't been out to dinner in 2 years. When we do go somewhere it doesn't go well. His daughter is disabled and lives in another state so no help there. My daughter offered but she works full time 12 hours a day 6 days a week and I don't want to burden her. I do have respite care on day per week for 4 hours and at first that worked for me to get caught up on my doctor's appointment but now I don't know what to do or where to go in 4 hours. All my friends live in other cities or states. My sister also has dementia and I go visit her every other week but that adds sadness & stress so I dread it. Hope you get a good caregiver so you can go socialize. Maybe join a support group. ALZ has resources on that. I found one at a church nearby but the day and time didn't work with my caregiver's schedule. I also thought about a library. I love to browse books. I could take my laptop and at least have some coffee and be around people. Someone posted this link about the portions of the brain and stages of Dementia. It helped me understand what was happening. Also get the book "The 36 Hour Day" which was recommended by a nurse. It has helped me and so many others so much. Also keep coming here to vent and ask questions. We are walking the same or similar path as you and people here understand. I try to talk to family member but no way they could possibly understand. Nobody can unless you live it. Glad you're working on getting help.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi Bitsey and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you need to be here but if you need it, it is a good place to be. As was mentioned above, the first thing you need to do if you haven't already is to see an elderlaw attorney. There is always someone who has been in your situation and can answer your questions and share their experience with you. You also might want to read the book "The 36 Hour Day." It has some good information in it. If you haven't already done it, consider looking into getting some help. Being able to get away even for a couple of hours is so important to your well being. Are there any adult daycare centers near you? Some caregivers have taken their LOs to one with success. As to the loneliness and isolation, I'm afraid those are very common feelings that go along with being a caregiver for someone with dementia. Even so, try to find something each day to be grateful for or that helps you feel happy. I know it's hard but you have found a good place and a safe place and everyone here will do their best to help you. We care about you. Sending hugs.

Brenda

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll add my welcome too. Although i have two grown kids from a previous marriage who are emotionally supportive, they aren't here for the day to day. This group keeps me afloat. It is indeed very lonely.

• wavelyn
    wavelyn Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment

This is my first post. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Dementia about a month ago. He is in the early/moderate stage I think. I feel like l have a permanent lump in my throat and l can get choked up and cry at the drop of a hat. He was my rock and a father to whom our 5 sons could talk to. But its become almost impossible for him to converse.

It’s very late and I need to go to bed so I’ll post more tomorrow. I’ll be praying for all of you. Goodnight

• Bitsey
    Bitsey Member Posts: 2
    First Comment 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Wavelyn,

I am glad you are here but regret the reason for your being here. This group is where you need to be. I posted my first post yesterday. The responses that I have received have made me feel not so alone or guilty for my feelings.

Hang in there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney