Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A tip for potential UTIs

Hi y'all,

I cannot believe how often I'm at this forum, and the benefits of it. My DW of 55 years was diagnosed with MCI 15 months ago after taking the 3 hour memory tests. She has been on Donepezil and Memantine. She is showing stage 4 symptoms, and I am prepared for the long battle ahead.

She has always been cheerful, happy and pleasant in her personality, and I was surprised recently when she flew off the handle. Not that we've never had yelling matches, in 55 years, we have. But this was about something that should not have caused any distress at all. Because of this forum, I immediately thought "this could be a UTI."

Coincidentally, I was scheduled for my 6 month check-up with our PCP the next morning. He is aware and supportive of my DW, so I asked him. He agreed, it could be a UTI. I expected him to request she come in for testing, but he said "I'll give you a 7 day prescription for Ciprofloxacin, 250mg twice a day with meals. Have her take it for 3 1/2 days, if it is a UTI, that should cure it. If not a UTI, no harm done. You can keep the other half for the next time." It worked, no further outbursts.

He told me Murphy's Law says the worst UTIs will always start on Friday evening of a 3 day weekend, so I am prepared for that. Hope this helps others, if anyone has a reason why this advice should not be followed, I am happy to learn.

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Good catch on her 'tell'! My mom's is that she starts using cuss words under her breath if she doesn't want to do something.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Taking cipro is taking a chance. It should not be used for dementia patients, although many doctors don't know that. It's up to us to let them know about that.

• Ed1937

Ronk, here's a link to a thread you might want to read about UTIs. https://alzconnected.org/discussion/comment/123414#Comment_123414

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

Are there any reasons that a person with dementia should not take Augmentin (Amox/Clav)? My husband has been taking it for 5 days and the UTI confusion symptoms have not gone away. He was prescribed Cefdiner initially and had taken that for 4 days until the culture came back showing Enterococcus bacteria. I have been unable to get another urine sample but using a home test strip pressed into slit in an incontinence pad is still showing positive. (Not very scientific or uncontaminated sample, but has proved to be a good indicator in the past when followed up with an actual sample.

We went to an urgent care facility for the analysis because we were unable to get into his PCP for several days and the only other choice was ER, not a pleasant experience with 4 and 5 hour waits with an incontinent person. Help please.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Having just ridden the slippery slope of levaquin, i can tell you that i will never again give that to my DH.

I dint know about the other meds, but there are some medical professionals here who do.

• Ed1937
    edited September 2023

MaggieMae, from what I'm seeing, that infection is one of the resistant types. I think maybe you should go back to the doctor to see if there is another treatment that might work. It really has to be cleared up. I'm sorry.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH has frequent UTIs and he tolerates Cefdinar very well and they clear the infection.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
  • Ed1937
    edited September 2023

@fesk. There are others on this forum who know more than I do, but avoiding the use of cipro and others in it's class have been talked about several times here. They will likely chime in on this. Here is a link that has a lot of information. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/drugs-cipro-side-effects#fa-qs

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

The major risks from the link aside, adding any GI upset from antibiotics is not something I would introduce without knowing if it was needed. The physicians I worked with for my mom and now my dad have made it really easy to get a urine test done properly. They have given us the sterile cups to take home. When I suspected UTI I would use the patient portal to tell them and they would put the orders in. We would collect a sample at home (being very careful about washing before touching it and not introducing outside bacteria) and then I would drop it off at the clinic. They have also been good about putting lab orders in at the clinic closest to home so we can stop in and then the doctor will communicate via the patient portal and prescribe as necessary. We have done countless samples via these two methods and had cultures done to inform the doctor and make sure the abx is both necessary and will be effective. And yes, of course it's always a Friday afternoon when things flare up. If I had any suspicion of an infection I tried to get a sample in before the clinic closed. If it's part of a larger health system the sample often goes to a main lab for culture and usually gets processed over the weekend just fine. Then I would use the portal to view the results and contact the on call doctor to look at it and prescribe.

• Ronk246
    Ronk246 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

As always, more information is better. Ed, I read the entire thread you sent me to, and I will notify our PCP of that information.

Getting sample cups in advance is something I will do soon. Stands to reason a sample is definitive.

It appears that negative responses to Cipro are not consistent, some awful results, and some like ours, no problem. But thanks to all who have responded.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Nowadays a culture may not be needed. Many labs do PCR testing to identify the infecting organisms by their DNA. Results take 6-8 hours.

• ​fesk

Thanks, Ed and everyone for the comments.

Our doctor's office is doing PCR tests. They also provide us with hats and specimen cups and will run as many tests as needed.

I read the link and do not feel as if Cipro is any better or worse than any other medication with regard to side effects. I feel like several antibiotics have some potential scary side effects. Any medication can affect someone in an unexpected manner. I am always nervous giving a new medication.

I try to be very cautious about giving antibiotics to my mother. I have her take probiotics as well. Her test results confirmed bacteria and there are definite behavioral changes. I hope the antibiotics can provide her with some relief.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

After spending the afternoon at the ER and getting blood tests and having them obtain a urine sample, I found out that the Augmentin is effective and the infection is decreasing but the UTI is not gone yet. The doctor prescribed an additional 3 days of the antibiotic, (he had another couple days to go on the 7 day prescription) He was very shaky and having trouble with walking and balance when we arrived at the ER. Some was probably nerves, after a long ride, but a lot caused by the infection I think. It was very unnerving. Thank you all for your comments.

• ​fesk

I'm glad the infection is decreasing ImMaggieMae.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more