Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nervous

My husband recently diagnosed, June, with dementia/Alzheimer’s. He is so irritable and angry I’m scared. He has not been violent. I think it’s triggering an abusive childhood. Maybe he is not as bad as it seems to me.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Teresa, there's a reason you're scared. You are probably not exaggerating his actions or threats. You should bring this to the attention of his doctor, so medications can be prescribed if called for. The best way to do that might be to write a note explaining what is going on, and what you fear, and why. Make sure you don't leave anything out. He doesn't have to know you told the doc about it. Even if you don't have POA, which you should, you can communicate your feelings, although the doc won't be able to give you information without a POA, you can give him/her information. So now the question for you is "Do you have POA?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

He is irritable because nothing makes sense to him any longer. Everything is confusing him. You have to keep things consistent in his life. Keep a daily routine. Remove anything complicated or unsafe. Don't talk about money. Make his life easy. Read the stages and learn about anosognosia. He is not aware of how he appears to you or that he has dementia.

Iris

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris makes a good and important point. There are many things you can and should do to adjust to your husband's needs. BUT you also need to make sure you (and he) are safe. As Ed suggested, communication with his doctor is important. If meds are appropriate, they will do a lot to help reduce his agitation making things better for both of you. And try to find some ways to take care of yourself. It's hard on caregivers and PWDs.

And continue to ask post your comments and questions.

• NC Girl 23
    NC Girl 23 Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    edited September 2023

Teresa, PLEASE, PLEASE talk to your husband’s doctor very soon. If you have children, please enlist their help. My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about five years ago and refused the medication (I thought he was taking it but my mother allowed him not to take it). My mother hid so many things, and we didn’t realize how much she was covering up or compensating for in his issues until she passed away from a stroke in October of 2020. I was their POA-financial, health, etc. should the other spouse be unable to function as such.

My father had a TIA two weeks after her stroke and a significant stroke on Christmas Day of 2020. I had been with him 24/7 since my mother’s passing, and before the stroke it was hard to distinguish between the Alzheimer’s and the overwhelming grief he was experiencing. After six months of extensive PT, he had residual right-sided weakness and some issues that were later diagnosed as post stroke dementia, in addition to the Alzheimer’s. It took quite a while to distinguish what actions and reactions were from which.

Once he was “stable” from the stroke, it became clear that the Alzheimer’s had progressed much more than my mother had let us know. He had reverted back to the very hateful, mean person he was when I was growing up—before he became a Christian in my teens. I found notes and cards indicating that he had been verbally and possibly physically abusive to my mother in the last several months of her life. He became irate at the smallest things and physically threatened me on several occasions.

I took early retirement to care for my mother after her stroke until she passed away two weeks later and then my father after she passed away. My husband then semi-retired to help with my dad’s personal needs. His condition deteriorated quickly, and my husband fully retired to help me.

We took care of him until he passed away in March of this year. Those two and half years were some of the hardest we ever spent, and looking back I wish I had known how bad he was before my mother’s stroke. We saw them every day and saw some issues, but my mother explained them away and was always so protective of him, to the point that she was worn down. I really believe the stress and anxiety contributed to the stroke that cost her her life.

Please ask for help and take care of yourself. It is hard to deal with so much that happens, and you need to take the changes seriously. Prayers for you and him.

• teresa123
    teresa123 Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you all for the support. Yes I have a POA. This is the first time this happened and maybe I’m making a bigger deal of it than it is

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

some forms of ALZ & Dementia progress quicker than others. If he has a Neurologist, contact them and ask for medication because he is angry and agitated. He was diagnosed 2 years ago and is in Stage 5 going into Late Stage 5. It's common for their behaviors to overlap stages. My DH has behaviors in both of those stages but not all of the behaviors. Hope that makes sense. It's important to get him help for his sake and yours. They put my DH on Risperidone 1/2 tab 2x day. It does help him sleep although it hasn't helped the anger outbursts. Also this handout someone else posted helped me understand what stage my DH is in. I used this list to document my DH's behaviors to better help me communicate with his doctors. https://tala.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Tam-Cummings-LLC-Handouts.pdf

• Sandie0401
    Sandie0401 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

Iris,

Thank you for this post. You have nailed it!

My husband, a vibrant much loved educator and coach, was diagnosed in 2018 with vascular dementia. We both retired in 2016 to our rural home in central Texas looking forward to "just being together".

Then WHAM!

Life is different now in 2023.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living