Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

His autonomy vs My helping

Anna2022
Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Where is the line? DH wants to do so much but many things end up being a fiasco if he proceeds on his own. Yet he refuses my help. Do I let him fail at the attempt or step in to help him accomplish the task? Even if he asks for help, he quickly rejects it soon thereafter. It's takes every ounce of patience I have, and sometimes I react unkindly.

For background: DH is not yet diagnosed, and exhibits anosognosia. His short term memory is affected more often than not.

Comments

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Just my thinking at this moment in time, but if he's not going to get hurt and he's not damaging something that you'll have to repair or pay to have repaired....I'd let him go, let him try. My DH is not diagnosed either. Don't be shy about asking for help with that on here. These folks give some good advice.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    I think Another Day hit the nail on the head by saying if the damage that could happen isn’t costly, in terms of physical injury or money, give him the time and space to go at it. The last task my husband performed at home before going off to memory care was changing out our backdoor’s door nob. He must have worked on it for two days. He was frustrated and discouraged and in the end very satisfied that it worked! He admitted it gave him troubles, but his smile was genuine. After being placed I bought him a pre cut wooden birdhouse that he could screw together and even paint if he was so motivated. The kit contained a child’s screwdriver and I hadn’t given it a second thought. About a week later I received a call from his facility that he’d been caught unscrewing screens in the dining room (after dinner) attempting to escape. I don’t know why I’m sharing this other than I’m very lonely. Anna, chose your battles carefully and let go of expectations. It’s a difficult road ahead. There are many lines that you will end up crossing in this journey as you slowly take on all responsibilities for the two of you.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    One thing I read, and it made a lot of sense to me *after* I read it--was to help surreptitiously. That is, prepare the food already cut up in the kitchen, if that's an issue, or put out his clothes when he's not in the room so they're just there. Another thing that worked was mirroring, where I would do something and he could follow along and do the same, without noticing that I was showing him.
  • dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

This is a good discussion. A PWD can feel happier if there's a sense of autonomy and ability to be useful. I need to balance that with safety. For example,

• a PWD may start to put stuff in the freezer that does not belong there. I can just start locking stuff away, but that's extreme and can lead to frustration. I can put color coded labels to indicate whether it's freezer, refrigerator or cupboard. Of course, I need to check if something has spoiled. It's just like what @Nowhere said: "if damage that could happen isn’t costly"
    • a PWD can refill a daily medicine dispenser immediately after taking a dose, as opposed to doing it weekly. So I can't tell if the dose was forgotten or taken. Rather than taking the meds away and helping the PWD to take meds in person, I can just put the prescription bottle away, so it does not get refilled, and I perform the refilling weekly.

Of course, there will be a decline, and it will get worse, and more extreme measures need to be taken, like going to a place like memory care. I am aware of the Alzheimer's association's home safety checklist, and other guidelines, but I think some semblance of independence is good for happiness while it's still safe.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dementia is difficult to live with for everyone.

Some forms of dementia are treatable so please have your loved one diagnosed following proper protocol. Lot's about this online.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

This may continue as the disease progresses. Last night my DH, 78, diagnosed 2 years ago, now in Stage 5 going into Stage 6 didn't make it to the bathroom and wet his underwear. He got a clean pair and put them on over the wet pair. I tried to help him and he because agitated and angry yelling at me to leave him alone! I finally gave up and he got back in bed with both of them on. I didn't handle it well but don't know what I would have done differently. So I'm working on getting a urinal for him to use and pads for his underwear that we can change when it happens again. I'm also getting the bed ready for next stage which sadly will be incontinence. You can't reason with them so prevention is the best strategy. Only interfere to keep them safe. Easier said than done. Still not there and working on it after 2 years.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is dementia-proofing the household. Put everything dangerous away under lock and key or out of the home. Anticipate dangers. Yes, this will be difficult.

I read a lot of threads and in general it appears to me that caregivers don't fully comprehend what dementia means. It means that the mentality, aka all thinking skills, is diminished. PWDs will not react normally they way they used to years ago. PWDs are very, very compromised mentally.

Iris

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Oh, yeah, we're living this at our house... that fine line between "things they can still do" and "things they probably can't do but they don't know that yet". One day she can make a great fried egg, the next she can't figure out how to use the toaster. Five minutes after not being able to use the toaster, she wants to drive her car (that's a no).

I sometimes create things I think she can do on her own or find a part of a task she can do with low stakes if it gets messed up. She's decided she hates "killing things" by pulling weeds or trimming back stuff in the garden, but if I ask her to help pick up the walnuts ("so the squirrels can find them better") she will spend a good long time picking up every walnut one by one and putting them in buckets. She fills the birdfeeders. She couldn't figure out how to get the liquid laundry detergent out of the container and into the correct place in the washer, but she sorts all the socks and sometimes even remembers which ones are mine.

I haven't had good luck with putting labels on things, because she doesn't actually use clues/information in the environment to solve problems any more -- she just asks me, then disagrees. "We're out of cat food" means there are no more cans in the cabinet, but there are four cases of cans downstairs in the same place we've stored extra cat food for the past 20 years. I could put a tag on the shelf in the cabinet that says "find more cat food downstairs" but she'll still ask me to drop whatever I'm doing to tell her where the cat food is then go downstairs with her when she can't find it.

There's so much loss, on their part, and I try to have empathy for not being able to do things you could do before, or that you think you should be able to do and other people don't think you're doing correctly. And sometimes I'd rather just cook the fried egg for her rather than having to scrub the burned pan. But I've gotten pretty good at cleaning the burned pans. It probably wont' be much longer before she stops wanting to cook the egg herself and I'll have to do it for her anyway.

• dancsfo
    edited September 2023

Thanks you for your comments. What I am learning is that while it may be natural for me to try to please a PWD, it's just one mistake away from the emergency room or a visit from the fire department, and I will regret that.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW continued to use the computer. and finally, I had to replace it. At first, she would pull all the wires; I think she thinks the light means it is on and she likes to turn things off at night. Then she also would press keys and eventually got the files mixed up. I ended up getting a new computer, Windows 11 and that was costly. But the bigger cost was that the technology had advance from what I had that it put me in a serious learning curve for which I never recovered. I am able to do what little I now do, so it is okay. But now her disease has progressed so that she is less combative about the computer, so now I lock the computer room at night. It is open during the day but at least I can monitor it more. The new computer programs have better support systems and without that support I could not have done it.😎

• dancsfo
    edited September 2023

Thanks for sharing. I agree that learning something new is difficult, but for the sake of security and making sure the product is still supported, I think one has little choice but to eventually upgrade. I think an Apple Macintosh or an iPad is easier to use for elderly when starting afresh, but staying with Windows is probably the simpler path, compared to learning something completely new.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more