Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Security and Door Locks

My DH doesn't wander yet, but sometimes I'll notice he is outside in the yard and I'm getting increasing uncomfortable with the idea that wandering might be next. So - I'm looking for advice on how to lock my doors so that I can know when he walks out! I have steel frame doors, and a lot of the locks I see online won't work on those types of doors - do I need a locksmith? I have some young grandkids and I think I can use the excuse that I don't want them walking outside on their own so I'm looking for ways to keep them in. I hope to use this fiblet to keep him from thinking that it is him I'm trying to keep safe! So hard operating in this shadowland where I know what I need to do but I have to pretend the reasons are not what they are. Very strange reality we all live in!

Comments

• PatK108
    PatK108 Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

Hi, LindaLouise. You are right to get ahead of a potential problem. My DW has mild dementia but I have taken steps to be ahead of the curve. Consider getting door sensors, which are fairly cheap but effective. I use ones made by Braumm. They are easy to install and there is an app you can put on your phone.

You can set the sensors to emit a loud noise (which is intended more for intrusion prevention) or a simple chime. But the sensor will alert you on your phone. You can tell him that you are putting them up so you will know if someone tries to enter the house. But if you keep your phone with you, you will know.

Additionally, you might consider home security cameras which will alert if someone is outside. A more costly route, but they provide video so you can tell who it is.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you are afraid of drilling holes in a steel door, that can really be done easily enough. Just about any handyman should be able to put the alarm on the door. And I'm pretty sure you can find some that attach with an adhesive strips. Check Amazon.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I anyone has sensors that they like, could you post a link here? There are so many different types on Amazon that it’s hard to figure out which work the best and are easiest to install.

• PatK108
    PatK108 Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    edited September 2023

I tried to provide a link but don't know what went wrong but I had to delete it. I'm trying it again here:

You might consider getting rechargeable AAA batteries, if you get these sensors.

• texoma2808
    texoma2808 Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment 5 Care Reactions

I found sensors on Amazon that also work through my Alexa dots. I can set up a routine that tells me what door is opened. I have three doors that lead outside. I'm not a tech genius, so if I can do, most anyone else can.

I also ended up putting child proof locks on all the doors, he has never figured out how to open them. I only use them at night .

• texoma2808
    texoma2808 Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment 5 Care Reactions

Can't edit my previous post, (I said I wasn't a tech genius, lol). But here are the security locks I bought. They attch to the jamb not the door. I have both steel & wood doors.

TOYFUL 2 Pack Door Reinforcement Locks with 8 Screws, Home Security Door Lock for Toddler, Childproof Door Lock Night Lock Withstand 800 Lbs White

Amazon's

Choice

for "door reinforcement lock white"

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm also in that in between stage where one night my DH tried to go outside to use the bathroom. Scared me. He got very angry when I tried to stop him. I got between him and the door and thankfully he didn't go out. I calmly walked toward the bathroom and told him the bathroom was this way and motioned with my arm and he followed me. I did buy the locks for my lever handled doors but haven't put them on yet. We live in an apartment and can't put anything permanent unless we pay to have it returned to original if we move. I got an alarm for beside the bed so I will know if he gets up. Everything I do he understands it's being done but doesn't understand why because if I told him he was trying to go outside he would deny it.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

SDanieL, do you have a link or picture?

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Texoma2808, thank you for sharing. I need something more robust and this may be the answer.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone! I have ordered the locks from Amazon to start and will work on adding sensors - I have three exterior doors, so good to have a few different options. We will see how my skills with drills and electric screw drivers are as I install! So grateful for this site!

• redwing_maggie
    redwing_maggie Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    When my husband started wandering, I reversed the door handles on the front and back doors so they are keyed from the inside and the button is on the outside. There is also a deadbolt on both doors so I don’t worry about the fact that handles can be unlocked from outside.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

When I was worried about my DW wandering out the front security door or letting the dogs out the front I replace the deadbolt that requires a key both ways, inside and out. I alone have the key to the front door.

I'm just fortunate she doesn't know how to get out of the garage by herself so I don't have to worry much about that.

She shadows me everywhere and I mean everywhere so I always know where she's at anyway.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

you have to find ones for your specific door knobs or handles. We have the lever handles in our apartment. These are the ones I ordered. Haven't installed them yet as the Risperidone as stopped his episodes for now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896QGV3T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I put an apple IPhone luggage tracker in my DH's wallet just in case he wanders through the cracks of our security system etc.

• redwing_maggie
    First Comment

My DH wears an Apple Watch with cellular service so I can find him using the Find My app. This proved invaluable when we were visiting in Florida, and he wandered blocks away down the beach before we knew he was gone. At home, he can’t get out of the house because I have reversed the door knobs so they are locked with the key inside instead of from the outside. There’s still a deadbolt which he tries to unlock from the inside, but the handle remains locked. I sleep much better now. Some mornings I get up and I see the deadbolt has been opened during his nightly wandering. If I need to leave for a quick errand, I have three Alexa show devices around the house, which I can “drop in” on. We can see and talk to each other without him having to do anything. When he sees me on the screen, I believe he thinks I am in the room with him, the same way he thinks things happening on the TV are happening in the house. Thank goodness for technology!

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Can you share a bit more about Alexa Show and how it works for your DH? We have Echos in almost every room. I use thr drop-in feature and it has helped him feel he is not alone (even if I'm just in the kitchen down the hall)

Thanks

• redwing_maggie
    First Comment

The Echo Show has a screen, so we can both see and hear each other. In the living room where he spends most of his time, I have the 10 inch version that swivels to face him when he talks. I’ve spoken to the memory care where he’ll eventually go, and they said a lot of residents have them in their rooms.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’ve been gone from the site several days, so I’m just now seeing this. One suggestion is to used keyed lockers only. They look just like a deadbolt on each side, but without a know. Only a key will open it. Back to wearing your lanyards!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more