Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MCI and sleeping

Hi everyone,
My spouse was diagnosed with MCI awhile back and things are not improving, but my concern at this point is his sleeping. As of a few months ago he was still diagnosed with MCI, not alzheimers. He will sleep all day until 7p.m., get up for a bit then go back to bed and sleep all night. I don't understand the excessive
sleeping. Has anyone else dealt with this with MCI.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Peg. Sorry you need the forum, but it's a good one where you will get a lot of support. That seems to be an awful lot of sleeping for very early stage. Maybe you should have him checked for a UTI. They can cause a lot of problems, and not show the typical symptoms. But they can really cause a lot of different symptoms, although I haven't heard of sleeping that long being caused by a UTI. But since it's so easy to check for, it is worth doing when you have no other answer. I wish you luck. If you do have it checked, ask for the specimen to be sent to a lab. They will probably tell you the results right away, but sometimes the lab will prove the initial findings wrong.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

That does sound like a lot of sleep. Is he on a medication that could cause this. Ed had a good idea about a UTI. When my DH has one he is so weak he can’t get out of bed.

This is an excellent forum to be on- I joined in March and follow it everyday. You get information from real experiences and not hearsay.

We are in this together- best to you and hope you can get the excess sleeping resolved.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Could he be suffering from depression?

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

He should see your doctor. He might even need repeat brain imaging to see if he had an undetected mini-stroke, etc, if this is a recent change from his baseline. That much sleep is very unusual for MCI. They should also probably repeat his MMSE or MOCA if they don’t find a medical cause for the sleepiness.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

2 things come to mind about this. The first is that with memory loss comes being overwhelmed and anxious. They are losing control and just want to sleep. Like babies. The second is depression. My DH was diagnosed 2 years ago and recently been depressed. Working with a Geriatric Psychiatrist. First medication didn't work. Going to try something else when we see her on the 17th. Can you get him up during the day more? I find that if I keep him busy and engaged he doesn't sleep as much during the day and sleeps better at night. I set the clock and wake him up at exactly the same time every morning after I fix his breakfast. I calmly tell him that his breakfast is ready. If he balks at getting up, I tell him that he needs to get up to take his medication and then he can go back to bed. That usually works. If I catch him napping in his chair I make noise or ask him a question to wake him up and ask him to do me a favor. I would definitely talk to the doctor. Sleeping that much isn't good.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Why didn't I think of that? I have a son who has been fighting depression for more than 20 years. But I would still check for UTI first, even though other causes may be more likely. It's so easy to check.

• tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

My wife was diagnosed with probably early stage Alzheimers last November. Looking back, one of the earliest signs that something wasn't right was her desire to go to bed in the early afternoon and sleep for 10-12 hours. I fought this for a year and a half up until 6 months after her diagnosis, when I realized that the only person bothered by it was me; I was causing myself grief by resisting this change in her behavior. Now I just accept it and tuck her in. The result is that instead of an argument, I get a kiss, a hug and an "I love you." I'm not saying that there isn't something else at work in your husband, but I do know that changes in sleep patterns is a symptom of dementia.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My wife would usually sleep until about 2:00. I talked to her doctor about it and he said as long as we were both OK with it, it was not hurting anything. Since then she has started sleeping more. Sometimes she is only up an hour a day. While she is sleeping I will take her some water and her medication trying to keep her from dehydration. She will set up and take it then go right back to sleep. One day I fell asleep in the living room and she slept 32 hours straight 0nly waking up to drink the water I had taken her and to go to the bathroom. We are going back to the doctor soon and I will talk to him about this increased sleeping.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yep. Early in the MCI diagnosis, my SO began sleeping a LOT. She'd never even been able to nap before. Now she sleeps frequently during the day. I know part of it is depression. I also believe the other part is how hard her poor brain is having to work to do normal things. That's gotta wear a person out.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more