Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DOES ANY ONE PUT THEIR LO IN THE BACK SEAT WHILE DRIVING?

Hello,

Well its just one thing after the other. I had to pick up rx at the pharmacy and took DH with me as he cannot be left alone. We usually usually have peaceful, musical rides, but today he tried to grab the gear shift while i was driving, and began trying to manipulate the radio etc. All the while, he was very hostile. This is after being pretty calm and pleasant . I don't think I will feel safe putting him in the passenger seat any more. But even in the back, he could wreak havoc. I'm afraid that this was the last car ride for the 2 of us. Another loss..

Just gave him a new med for agitation, keeping my fingers crossed. This is hell on earth.

Maureen

Comments

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

That sounds dangerous. What if he grabs the steering wheel next? I know I’m speaking the obvious here. How soon can he be placed in a memory care facility and /or does he need to be admitted to GeriPsych and stabilized, then discharged straight to a long term care facility from there? You don’t sound safe in this situation.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

If i could afford it, he'd be in a facility now. However, i have hired some caregivers , and they will be starting next week. The goal is for me to have every saturday off, from 9 to 7. Then every other sunday from 12 to 6. also have an aide coming 3 to 6 on weekdays so i can work from home. With saturdays free,

i can take care of chores and pick ups with out him in the car. We never know what to expect do we?

He will never be in the car with me again.

• housefinch

I’m so sorry. That sounds awful for both you and him. I’m glad you’re getting respite soon. I wish our society had a good system. I hope maybe he qualifies for Medicaid and a Medicaid-funded long term care bed somewhere soon if possible. Hugs to you.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, "hell on earth" is a good description. I am so sorry that this happened to you. Thank you for sharing as none of us know what our loved ones will do.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry.. hopefully the help you have coming will give you some relief and peace.. and praying the meds provide calming rest..

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Maureen, that had to be so scary. I am so sorry that it happened. The curveballs this illness throws us just keep coming. I am glad that you are getting some help, and hope that the new med kicks in very soon.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Maureen, I'm really sorry. You must have been scared to death. Do you think it might be worth testing for a UTI? Just a thought.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had to move my husband to the back seat after he tried to open his car door while the car was moving. I think I began just piling stuff in the passenger seat and then guiding him to the back seat . I kind of blocked the passenger door with my body and opening the back seat door and guided him in. Not fun to be the chauffeur , but it’s the safest way

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@gampiano

I suppose the backseat with the child safety locks engaged is safer, but if he's still able to work the buckle, he could still come up from behind you or even just be a distraction than renders you an unsafe driver.

There was a woman in our support group whose DH had just enough cognition left to showtime; she used Ubers when she needed to take him somewhere as they could both sit in the back. He liked having a "driver" as opposed to his wife driving. She also arranged to have anything delivered than could be-- prescriptions, Pea Pod, amazon shopping.

HB

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Maureen, my DH used to do some of the things you describe. With disease progression, he calmed down and now just talks the whole time. Early on, when he first stopped driving, he didn't know what to do with his hands and he would grab my arm or put the window up and down. One time he took the car out of gear when we were at a stop light. I learned to keep my eyes on the road no matter what and to pull over it need be. I also bought a safer car with more safety features to help me when driving. Anxiety medication was a big help also. With disease progression, he now sits with his hands in his lap. He does get scared if a car comes up to a stop sign too quickly...he is afraid they will run the stop sign and hit us. He also talks a lot about how blue the sky is and the cloud formations. He notices the trees and lawns and the people in the other cars. I don't know what the best answer is for you but I hope you can find something that helps. Sending hugs.

Brenda

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

What Battlebuddy and harshedbuzz said. DH went through a long period of refusing to leave the house. It was so tough for me, being housebound, but prior to that we had a few scary episodes where I only wished he'd ride in the back seat but he vehemently refused.

Once he tried to jump out of a moving car (Stage 4), and I think it was later that same year when he gave me the surprise of my life, coming out of the pharmacy for a super quick pick up, only to find the rental car missing from the parking space I'd left it (and him) in, car left running with parking brake on, with the air-conditioner and radio on as I had done about once a month before, with no issue. He had not driven in close to 2 years by then and didn't seem interested (once I disappeared his car).

Well, seeing that empty parking space where I had just left him... I imagined several disasters in the few seconds before my eyes landed on the next row over, where he had managed to actually move the car into a new space without crashing into any other parked cars, hitting any pedestrians, or driving away without me. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever did that! Never, ever, ever left the car on or keys in his reach since then. He calmly climbed back over the middle section into his own seat when he saw me, and when asked why he moved the car he said something about the people behind him wanted to get through. (No such thing, as I had deliberately backed the car into a space with the fence behind us). Anyway...no more.

I think I've had pharmacy and grocery delivery since then, even though the cost is steep. Plus I disappeared his car and he can't drive my pushbutton car, so the situation changed in time, as we know dementia does.

Then there was the 1.5 hour standoff at the post office, that time when I eventually had to get a fire-fighter's assist to get him out of the driver's seat of my car that he'd have absconded with if he only could have figured out how to start it. Again, progression brought us relief of a sort, as he flat refused to leave the house at all not long after that. Holding on to the door jamb or whatever he could grab to prevent my moving him out of house for any purpose at all.

Fast forward another year or 2...and dreaded progression brings yet another silver lining -- we are no longer housebound! And thankfully with PT after a major downturn and regular basic physical activity indoors, he is still upright and mobile (with me or HHA at his elbow as he's still sometimes a fall risk). But here is the answer to your question: DH is now just as agreeable as he can be when I start putting on his shoes and steering him out the door. Down the steps and into the BACK SEAT of my car, yes!!! It works perfectly! And we have taken both short and long (15+ hours) road trips (with breaks of course) since then with no issues.

He heads to the back seat now and lets me help him climb in. Finally! Whew! I think he feels like I'm his driver and that is just fine with me. I keep something simple and entertaining back there for him to fiddle with, which could be a miscellaneous tchotchke, small book or pamphlet as he likes the written word (but sadly can't really read any more - gut punch every time I think about that loss for this brilliant man). Child locks on, for both doors and windows, radio on with oldies and he is good to go.

Sorry this is so long -- the last thing I wanted to mention is there used to be lots of recos on this forum for a seatbelt lock that prevents them from unbuckling, though DH has never tried to get out of the backseat and over to the front. Not sure that he could now, but Alz has surprised me before, so I wish those old threads had not been deleted in the website change. Maybe someone here has the info about the seatbelt locks.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you all for these insights and for taking the time to tell your stories. My DH is in late stage 6 or early 7. He used to love to mention the clouds and the blue sky and the horses and the music playing. Now he is silent, with a mostly fixed expression and seems oblivious to almost everything most of the time. His "grabbing" and other bizarre hand gestures seem to be things he is unable to control, like Parkinson's, although that is not in his diagnosis. When he does grab or grip he has a fast hold on whatever it is, and seems locked on the object.

My instincts tell me that there is a Parkinson component here, which we would only be able to verify with an autopsy. Also, although he has almost no speech, his unconscious mind is able to speak with some clarity when he is sleeping. Totally bizarre and rare, from what i understand. Such a hellish illness this is.

Maureen

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2023

I would also suggest a seat belt *id* for your PWD in the event of an accident or other emergency while driving. There are lots of different options through Amazon, Etsy and the like which can be found by searching *seatbelt ID for persons with disabilities* It might also be good to have one for the caregivers seat belt as well.

• mcguava
    mcguava Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments

Thanks for the good ideas. The DMV just cancelled DH's license, and we got an ID card. However, he has not accepted the situation, are there magic words anyone has found? He's obsessed with getting his license back, he seems to be Stage 4'ish.

• housefinch

Our younger child has autism & intellectual disability & I researched these because I might need one (I can’t give personal experience yet)—-

Buckle Boss seatbelt buckle lock

Amazon also sells them

you have to use a special “key” to remove it, that I think goes on a key ring

Amazon has other brands

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's hard to say.

There are no magic words that take the sting away from losing this privilege. This is especially true of men of a certain generation/mindset for whom driving and car culture are linked to their masculinity.

My dad never accepted it. He didn't drive once he was told by his neurologist he had to stop. Despite almost global memory loss, this stuck with him and remained a constant. Since he believed it would take a doctor to reinstate his driving, he angled at every appointment regardless of specialty-- his PCP, his urologist, mom's dermatologist. The very last conversation I had with him hours before he died was me promising to bring his Taurus to the MCF so he'd "have wheels in case he needed to go somewhere".

I found the best strategy was being an ally and validating the unfairness of this loss.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney