Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Good weekend, meds working??

My DH has vascular dementia, we saw neuro two weeks ago and in the last 14 months, his MoCA score has dropped. He is still at 17, but painful to watch and big change. We are 6 weeks into Aricept, his word fining has improved a lot. We traveled to his sisters this weekend, a 5 hour drive each way. He had 4 other siblings and spouses come for a day and he did great. No anxiety ( Zoloft) no repetitive questions. He did pretty well in conversations. It took him longer to tell a story and he looked to me to fill in the blanks a few times, but he slept well, and seemed relaxed. He hasn’t done that well away from home in over 18 months.

So is this medication? If so, anyone know how long it could last like this? If not, then what is the improvement? I’m not complaining, believe me, just always wanting to learn more.

Comments

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH also has vascular dementia but hasn’t been offered any meds other than two antidepressants to help control his moods. When was your DH diagnosed? I’m curious because my DH, who was diagnosed 15 months ago, would not have done well in that social situation.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Katielu, I'm really glad he has had such a dramatic change. Was it from medication? I don't know. How long can it last? I don't know. But as different as people are, just embrace the positive changes for as long as you can. Don't worry how long it might last. A day at a time. For now it's a huge win.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

When my DH started to react angrily, the doctor prescribed Zoloft and it made a big difference.

• JiminTexas
    JiminTexas Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Sorry but what is MoCA?

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Thank you all. A MoCA is a Montreal cognitive assessment test. It is more specific than a mini mental, but not as involved as the neuro psych testing. It was done in our Neurology office 14 months ago and a couple weeks ago.

my DH was officially diagnosed January 2023 with MCI, but I think that was generous. He has had a sharp decline in the last 6 months, but I will take what we have right now. In two more weeks, we are adding Namenda. But yes, Ed1937, I will enjoy what I have for now, and not worry about the why!! I’m

• angeladen101
    angeladen101 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

This is great to hear that there are meds that help. My DH has MCI / which will become vascular dementia and I was told no medications would help. I go nuts with all the questions. Maybe it will help him in the near future. Thank you for posting.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

The measures that help with vascular dementia are those that help prevent further damage to blood vessels: BP meds, cholesterol meds, diabetes control, and at times blood thinners.

• Katielu

My husband has almost perfect blood pressure, normal cholesterol, no diabetes. He was on Plavix as he can’t take aspirin, but he stopped that for side effects.

I cannot imagine what else would account for the changes he is having. The repetitive questions are gone, and the searching for words is much improved.

whatever the reason, I’ll take it!!

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Seroquel has been a lifesaver for us. A year ago my LO was in a very angry place and sundowned hard every afternoon. Now, after working with her medical team, we have developed a combination therapy using both fast-acting and time-released versions and they work very well for her. I also read recently that it's available in liquid, if/when that need ever arises.

I'm a believer in better living through chemistry. She is much happier and I can keep her with me much longer.

PS: She is also on an anti-depressant, but has been for 20+ years.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited November 2023

Katie Lu: Plavix is a lifesaving drug for someone with vascular dementia. What side effect was he having?

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

When my husband was put on ARICEPT , at about stage 5, he improved dramatically and was pretty stablr for one whole summer. I would say the good effects lasted about 4 months.

• Katielu

Marta,

I am aware where Plavix is concerned. I am also a cardiovascular RN working with hi risk medications, including blood thinners and anti platelets. No matter what time he took the Plavix he felt nauseous and “ woozy”. I am not convinced the Plavix was the cause, but he was, he was breaking it into pieces and taking sun therapeutic doses. He finally refused. He discussed with Neuro, who advised against stopping and he said “I am aware, you can document that you educated me”

I cannot make him take it, and his nausea and “ woozy” feelings are gone.

Gampiano, 4 months is better than none. I will take each day I can get. Our life has infinitely improved with the Aricept.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband was diagnosed year ago with Vascular Dementia. They prescribed medication that helps people. With AD with their memory. The doctor didn’t even think it would help him. But it did make difference in his memory. So maybe ask at your husband’s next appointment. It might help him too. My husband is of course showing other signs of progression. More withdrawn and his problem solving skills are worse. But for the most part he is doing pretty good.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

There really is not medication’s vascular dementia. But some anti-depressants and drugs for memory do help some patients. So sometimes doctors don’t always put people. On these medications fortunately my husband’s doctor did.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more