Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to cope with the diagnosis?

Thank you again for the wisdom. My DW was diagnosed two weeks ago with AD. I suspected it was coming as she had a MOCA two and a half years ago that wasn't good but she didn't do any additional testing at that time. Her symptoms were fairly mild then and still mild today. A few weeks ago she went through a complete neuropsychological test at the suggestion of her doctor and to deal with DMV, the results were pretty clear according to the neuropsychologist. She isn't driving now which isn't a problem for her. She is still doing very well and we are able to do everything we desire. She doesn't feel that there is anything wrong and I'm fine with that at this point. But, I'm unable to think of anything else. I am not sleeping very well and my heart is breaking. I'm reading all I can and trying to learn as much as possible (about a third way through The 36 Hour Day). But, how does one deal with this devastating news? We have a wonderful family and faith. Our marriage of 48 years is beautiful. But, I'm struggling to deal with this. How did you cope and move forward?

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Going through same it’s a year diagnosed, no driving in complete denial. Short term memory loss. Had her in clinical study but took off after 2 months. Put on meds hit dude effect now won’t take anything going to neurologist in 2 weeks.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

It takes time jscott and will always remain a work in progress, i don't think there's a fixed endpoint until death intervenes, and probably not even then. I don't think there's any easy way to lose a spouse, but the slow pace, the uncertainty of timing, and the anticipatory grief with dementia make it particularly hard. We're in our tenth year and there are others for whom it's been even longer. There is a definite point at which death becomes a welcome prospect to end her suffering and spare her dignity. For me at least the wish for that trumps the grief of loss at this time.

• Pike
    Pike Member Posts: 1
    Third Anniversary First Comment

I am also going through this disease with my DH. He has been diagnosed for about 3 yrs. But lately he doesn't want to do anything and sometimes calls me names that are a little hurtful. He then will be sorry. I am just starting to struggle a bit and not sure who is there for care takers. Will he become violent or do some not become violent. I am a little afraid of the future. Like will I be able to handle this. He is so much bigger than me. Will I be strong enough.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

To Pike:

My DW is now very far along and she never became violent. There are quite a number of others here whose spouses were never truly violent. Whether your DH will be depends in part by what exact type of dementia he has. Timely application of medications can also prevent or minimize any violent tendencies. You need a good medical professional on your team.

However my DW and probably the spouses of others, were still challenging to care for. You ask who is there for caregivers. For one, that is why we're all here to share information that can hopefully reduce the stress of caregiving. There are probably other resources local to you that may be able to help.

If you have any questions or just want to vent/rant, you will get more responses if you start a new thread.

It's definitely not going to be easy but you will handle it by taking day by day and by accepting the fact that your DH's behaviors are not deliberate but are the disease in action. I wish you strength to deal with the future.

Since this is your first post it seems, I would be remiss in not reminding you to make sure you have all your legal documents in order, particularly a DPOA prepared or updated after a discussion with a CELA.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Pike, My DH started to show signs of aggression and frustration. He is much larger than I. I some to our doctor about my concerns and he put him on a low dose of Sertaline (Zoloft), which has greatly helped. When you see those signs, be pre-emptive. You must protect yourself. This med takes time to work, maybe 2 or more weeks so don't delay.

• Jolie
    Jolie Member Posts: 3
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to say I feel your pain. I am obsessed with this. I am 48 years old, and I think about dementia all the time. We just celebrated our 24th anniversary. It is not supposed to be like this. Our kids are just now leaving home, and it is now supposed to be our time again, but it's not. My DH doesn't realize anything is going on most of the time, and he is so happy to just spend time with me, but I am a miserable soul right now, and have been for the past year.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more