Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MCF Had to Call 911 Again

2»

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Duo my hubby has FTD and he used to take arricept and he was taken off it. I had him taken twice to emergency as he fell. Before then, he would get violent with me and the personal support worker. He bit me really hard one time. Hopefully they can get your husband’s meds sorted. I cannot believe how well my husband has changed since they adjusted his meds. I am so sorry you are going through this.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Doesn't Jamie (jjazz) have an LBD site? If so does anyone know the URL? I think it would be beneficial to quite a few people.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, Dio. https://www.lbda.org/symptoms/ is a link she posted sometime in summer 2022, although I don't know how involved she is in that.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited November 2023

She's a moderator in the LBDCaringSpouses site, so she's very active there. I've learned so much from her. Still, LBD is just too volatile. There are many people living with LBD who are highly functioning. Sadly, my husband isn't one of them.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

MC called 911 on 3 different occasions for my DH. He was sent to hospital and then geripsych. The first time he became violent with staff was due to a UTI. Nurses at MC should know to look for UTIs as they are often the cause of change in behaviors. Please have him checked. Clearing the UTI is the first step, new meds the second.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My mom takes donepizel at night. She was on 10mg but they moved it back to 5 due to side effects. I wonder why your DH takes it in the morning and if night would work better?

• Dio

Thanks, EICy! He was tested for UTI when he became violent with me at home but was negative. So I decided to place him because I didn't feel safe any more. It's just frustrating that we can't seem to get him the right combination of medications to manage the violent outbursts. We tried increasing a med, and switched one out/in, and so far each change yielded short-lived peaceful moments. His neurologist actually had suggested that if this last change in meds isn't working, then we should send him to the ER for a brief stay at the hospital to get his meds sorted out. He's been calmer the past few days, not great, but manageable.

• Dio
    edited November 2023

It was due to night terrors. He'd be screaming, sometimes bloodcurdling ones, that he was dying, that he was falling into the abyss, that his dead relatives came to take him. He used to take it once in morning and once before bed. But it got cut back because his neurologist believed that the donepezil was causing his night terrors. Once it got cut in half and only in the morning, the night terrors stopped. But other behavior problems intensified and new ones surfaced...heavy sigh.

• addy103
    addy103 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

So the Doneipzel causes night terrors. MY husband has terrible ones. He takes it once on the morning, but he rarely takes. He won't take it me the morning with his other pills and he always forgets to take it. Yet, he sometimes has terrible night terrors.

• Dio

Not sure what the dosage of donepezil for your husband is, so I can't comment. My husband was on 10mg total, half in morning and half at night. Then stopped the night dosage so he's on 5mg only in the morning now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more