Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Little Things

It’s the Little Things

My husband has been doing okay with the ADLs, but this morning something really saddened me. I was in the bedroom when my husband got dressed. He did not change his underwear and simply put a new tee shirt over the one he wore to bed. He also poohpoohed my suggestion he put on a turtle neck because it was cold out. We were late to an appointment so I let it go because I had no time to coax him into clean clothes. I guess we are moving into a new stage where I will have to monitor his dress. This just bummed me out. It is the little things that can chip a new hole in your heart.

Comments

• AnnieTB
    AnnieTB Member Posts: 13
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am back here after many years away…mostly have just read posts and for me it’s hard to know where to start as my husband is not super far along, but the taking out the compost story really spoke to me. My husband has alz with vascular also. ADLs are good but executive functioning, problem solving is gone. So sad, he designed and together we built three small rustic cabins on a ‘campus’ up north over the past 30 years, but now he can’t even figure out to use the rake for leaves instead of a broom, can’t help load a canoe on the car (which he did all his life) or know to let the dogs in if he let them out. I know much worse is coming, but it’s so lonely to experience this ‘ambiguous grief,’ losing him while he is still here.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

can one just refuse to be a full time caregiver? Dh just got kicked out of Adult day care due to “emotional out bursts”. I just sat down snd cried. We have no kids, no other support. I was planning on going into my savings to have him go 4 days a week. Now this door is closed. No w we he will not shave , shower change his clothes. I cannot take it. I have quit a job I loved and now must give up my darling g dog as I cannot care for both. I fear for my health snd sanity.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Brokenhearted, I have two suggestions.

1. Re-post on your own thread so you will get many thoughtful responses.

2. Call the Helpline and ask to speak with a Care Consultant for specific advice and referral to resources. The number is 1-800-272-3900. There is no charge for consultation and someone is available 24 hours a day.

He will probably need consultation with a geriatric psychiatrist for medication, and he may need to be hospitalized because the meds take 4-6 weeks to become effective.

Don't delay in reposting, because several members have been exactly where you are.

Iris

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your remark “ losing him while he’s alive “ hit me right between the eyes. I’m new and never looked at it like that. It is the worst part. My DW in beginning

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

"offer new clothes when he showers..."

I wish my DH showered.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia