Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for Grandma

Good morning. I'm new here. My wife's grandmother is in mid stages of Alzheimer's and is at home. Grandpa is her primary caretaker and does not want to move her to a memory care facility. He also doesn't allow much help. My wife and I go over every couple of weeks to wash grandma's hair and try to get her into a change of clothes. She is mostly cooperative, but some days are better than others.

Grandpa is having surgery and will be in the hospital 3-5 days. My wife and mother in law are staying at Grandma's home to care for her while he is away and I am coming in the late afternoon to give them a break once I am done with work. Grandma does not do well with Grandpa gone for more than about 30 mins. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her through the anxiety of him not being home. Also any activities for keeping her entertained would be great. She does not like to watch tv and has a hard time with tasks like washing dishes or basic chores.

Thank you for listening and for any help you can give.

Sincerely - a loving granddaughter in law

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living