Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is it ever possible?

Is it ever possible to take a break from caregiving?

I just went to a reunion for my old military unit, I thought everything would be ok and I had people taking care of my wife. I ended up having to come home early from the reunion because my wife got very argumentative with the caregivers. As soon as I got home, she calmed down.

I have been taking care of her for the past three years (she is advanced moderate stage (whatever that means)), I had planned on taking her to the reunion, but we took a trip earlier this summer to a family reunion and the way she acted I decided that I could not take her to my military reunion. Yea, I might be selfish, but she was absolutely hateful on the earlier trip.

I honestly wonder which person will succumb to dementia and Alzheimer's first?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry Vince, that sounds really frustrating and disappointing. I think we all wish for breaks. Memory care relieves some of the moment to moment, but not the sense of responsibility (at least, it hasn't for me).

I'm sorry you didn't get the reunion you had been hoping for.

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Vince it is NOT selfish to take care of yourself and take a break. We need a break as caregivers, self care is important! So Sorry this is happening, but I feel your pain.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Vince607

In my experience, it is possible to take a break physically but not 100% emotionally until stage 8.

That said, you do need to do whatever it takes to care for yourself in order to be a fit caregiver in this marathon which means respite of some kind to do something pleasant for yourself. This is not selfish; it is the airline safety drill of putting your own oxygen mask on before assisting others. Protecting your health-- mental and physical-- is the most loving thing you can do for your wife.

I agree with @Marta on seeing a geriatric psychiatrist for medication to calm the anxiety that drives this kind of behavior.

HB

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

hello Vince.

I have been on this road 13 years. for 7 I was the 24/7/365 caretaker in a few cases when I was giving a speech or a lecture someone would sit with DW in the audience. She has been in memory care for the last 6 years.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We never seem to be able to completely take a break. Even when my Dw is in daycare I'm always thinking about her, worried about her, waiting for a call that she's not compliant or acting out and to come get her. . .

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I too agree with @Marta on seeing a geriatric psychiatrist for medication to calm the anxiety that drives this kind of behavior.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@texoma2808 “i literally dream of having my house to myself, just for awhile”. Right?! To be able to relax in my home, not followed, not tiptoeing, being able to get things done without DH being upset or pacing so much around me that i think I’ll jump out of my own skin, not timing everything around what will be least problematic, the list goes on.

Life at home requires so much moderation and control, ironically and no-fault, at the hands of our LO with a diseased brain. Quite sure my brain is forever changed as well.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Marp
    Marp Member Posts: 170
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

"Moods would have to be managed."

This resonates with me as my sister is currently in rehab following an injury. I was hoping it would be a break for me. I've spent part of most days at the rehab trying to help, .

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@texoma2808 ,

I had some of the same experiences, I keep reading to take care of myself. I have found that getting people in the house to care for my wife for even three hours makes a world of difference in my mental state. I get away 4 hours on Wednesday and about the same amount of time on another day. I get groceries, go to the library or my medical appointments. Once a month I have lunch with some of my high school classmates. I also attend two support groups in the area. I am aware of long-term respite programs and day care in the area, but they have not met my needs either because they only had a couple of people, and my wife didn't like them because I wasn't staying with her. However due to my health needs I may need to find out more about long term respite programs very soon.

Dave

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@texoma2808

I almost forgot to tell you that I had the problem of taking my wife to public events and I am now more selective, but I did talk to her doctor, and she prescribed a mild drug, Risperidone, 0.25 mg. Which has helped calm her a bit out and at home.

Dave

• Vince607
    Vince607 Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I agree with everything you say, I guess I'm the type of person that does not want others to suffer, but, you are correct, we need a time out. Thank you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more