Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling Guilty

My DW is 15 years older than me (she’s 72) and I’d say in stage 4. She’s still largely present, though confused by many things. We still can have pretty good conversations and a lot of laughs.

With that, I feel so damn guilty going to work during the day. We moved to a remote small town to lower her anxiety about living near San Francisco and because living in this little town has been her lifelong dream. With good reason. It’s an adorable fishing village on the Northern California coast. Just gorgeous. But it’s remote. She’s alone at home when I work.

I’m so torn. Can’t afford to retire and live here, but I’m missing days and days in the last months of her being able to engage with me. If I retire now at 57, I don’t see how I get hired later in my 60’s, and likely completely worn out from years of caretaking and then losing the the love of my life.

We knew our age difference could present difficulties as we both aged, but dang it, we weren’t really prepared for this.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

No one is prepared for this horror

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

I understand although I might struggle to put into the right words.

Guilt is a given, comes with the job sorta speak. Every decision we make is weighed on the scales of guilt and how it will it affect out partners, spouses or parents even when we know it's the right thing to do and most of the time there is no balance on that scale. We make decisions that we know will affect them, possibly physically and or emotionally but we have to do it. It truly is a learn as you go endeavor.

Some people, not myself, have no hesitation make the hard decisions in life but a lot of us aren't that way.

You are in your 50's now and your'e right, it could be a little more difficult to find a job but that isn't your fault but finding work is still very possible for you.

I work about 4 hours a week now somtimes less, My last check was 25.00 because I had to pretty much retire to care for my wife. When all of this started happening I saved and budgeted every penny and was able to get our checking / savings accout to a comfortable amount but I knew it would only hold us a few years, now our checking is running very low and way out of my comfort zone. My DW doesn't understand any of this any more. I'm only 62, next month, and have applied for social securty. That will help but things are still going to be tight.

I feel so guilty all of the time. Everything I do somehow has the ball and chain of guilt attacthed to it. It gets very heavy to drag around year after year. I lay awake at night and replay all of the mistakes I've made in this thing we call caregiving and wonder if I made the right decisions year after year. . . you know what I'm trying to say here.

Hang in there!! Get help when you can and try to realize this disease isn't your fault or hers but here we are..

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I absolutely feel you. I, too, am 14 years younger than my DH. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse, but in the earlier days I don't think I really understood that this is a fatal disease. It's just that the course can be so long. I, too, wonder whether there's any true living to be done after my caregiving is over and if I'll survive it at all. Had I understood, I think I might have done more traveling with him, as he enjoys it far more than I do. But hindsight, as they say, is 20-20.

Our partners may not have to live in the future we're preparing for, but barring unforeseen circumstances, we do. And our partners aren't aware of so much that we have to handle every day. All this is my way of saying, if you believe you're going to live in a future where you need money and have no other means of getting it, you have to continue to work. The key, I think, is to be more invested in your partner's welfare than you are in your work. It's a tricky tightrope to walk, but you simply have no other reasonable choice. Put your emotional energy into your partner, and make your days together as good as they can be. Beyond this, you can do no more by feeling guilty.

Just my .02

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Cindy this is very, very tough. My partner is also 15 years older than I am. In 2011 when she was 70, she was diagnosed with a stage 4 follicular lymphoma that was primarily in her neck and hard palate. We had no idea how much time we would have; this is a cancer that is never curable, but sometimes indolent. I am a physician and therefore knew I had marketable skills; we were also very fortunate because my partner had made and saved a lot of money in her career. I therefore made the very difficult decision to leave practice altogether at age 55, not knowing how much time we would have together. So in the spring of 2012 I "retired," and lived off of my savings for 2.5 years, although I kept my license current. We were very lucky in one sense, in that the lymphoma went into remission. In another we were not, because over those 2.5 years, she developed the first signs of mild cognitive impairment.

In the fall of 2014, a part-time administrative opportunity came along such that I went back to work in January 2105 and was able to maintain that part-time work--much of it from home after covid--until very recently, when an abrupt illness this summer forced my complete retirement. Being able to work from home ended up being a real blessing in terms of being able to care for my partner, until she needed to go into memory care in the spring of 2022.

I tell you this because it IS possible that something might work out---but there are many, many if's. We had the huge advantage of financial security that would have been okay even if I hadn't gone back to work, and I am so, so glad we had those two and a half years to focus on each other, it is truly a golden memory now. But your numbers may not crunch that way. The only certain thing you can count on is that she will inevitably need additional supervision as her disease progresses, and you should think long and hard about your own needs and your own future: if you need to keep working, you may need to move back closer to your job and to where there are resources such as day care programs and/or memory care facilities that can take care of her in the future. It is not too soon to be planning this now, and you may have to do it without her complete consent or buy-in. I am so sorry you are facing this. I totally get it, you know when you enter a relationship with this age difference that there is a risk, but it's never what any of us sign up for. Life rarely cooperates that way.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Can your wife apply for SS disability? Maybe that would help. I am so sorry. This disease is the worst.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry. We understand your feelings and needing to make tough decisions. I would urge you not to retire as you do have a full life ahead of you and your financial condition, as you described, warrants that you continue to work. Frankly, working will help you keep sane. Eventually, you will need to get help in to watch her as she will not be safe. Do you have family, friends or LTC insurance when she needs more care? You may want to consider a future move to a location where you will have a support system. I hope you get the answers you need.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

She's already on SS and a pension from the Federal Gov't so that helps but we need a bit more so my SS should give us a little breathing room.

• Awto123
    Awto123 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Dear Friend

If you are doing all you can

why should you feel guilty !

Be with her as much as you can

You have life and you understand now

more then ever how precious life is !

Do what you can but do not feel guilty

about living life for yourself

How many years ago was your Dear Wife diagnosed?

I have recently been diagnosed with Alz and I am in a study

Keeping the faith

Keep up your best work

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You all truly are amazing. To read how each of you are managing or managed this has been so helpful. It may be true that the calvary isn't coming in our physical lives, but you all are a heck of a virtual calvary.

I'll be taking a bunch of time off around the holidays and then in the new year, I'm going to start working remotely a couple of days a week. Or, at least that's my plan now. I am in a pretty privileged position this state of my career and think I can work that out. I had such anxiety about doing that because I'm only 5 months into this job I got when we moved up here. But, I think I can maintain my sense of doing a good job with some remote days of work. We do need the money still and going to an office and having real conversations has been keeping me sane, sort of.

Thank you all again!!

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you're right, M1, that I could have some options even a bit later in life. I'm in a profession that does still value older professionals. Everyone here has really gotten my wheels turning about my options and my sort of rigidity about the planned out career and retirement path I'd created for me and us. Time for a more open sense of the options/possibilities. What's that old saying, "People plan. God laughs."? Boy, am I feeling that right now!

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

...and going to an office and having real conversations has been keeping me sane, sort of.

well, at least going to the office is a different kind of insanity, LOL.

I'm in a similar situation (11 year age gap). I left my job in July so I could spend time with my husband and get his long-term care set up. His home health aide starts soon and I'll be looking for work again after the holidays. I've actually been lucky grabbing short-term projects as a consultant. I'm considering trying to build up a client list and continuing that route for a while instead of heading back to corporate life. You'll find a good fit and balance, I'm sure.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

There are 16 years between my partner and I, and I'm also in my late 50's and dreading/dreaming about retirement. There was a NYT series recently on the cost of dementia care and how it's going to bankrupt our generation... depressing. I hope to work as long as I can because our savings may not outlive my partner, I like my job and getting out of the house! I also think I'm terrified not to have my own money coming in. I dream about the unlikely chance that her sister will pass away and leave her a pile of money to use for memory care -- I could never say this anyplace else, but I think this group will understand.

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I sadly agree that trying to get a job in your 60s will be extremely difficult (unless you have a specific skill in demand and unless caregiving didn't physically wear you down). I read that 62% of workers aged 50-plus reported having personally seen or experienced age discrimination in the workplace; I've seen it first hand. That said, perhaps moving again (yes, I know it's difficult) to a more affordable area where you could possibly retire and take advantage of the upcoming change to Medi-Cal (no asset limit) in 2024 and obtain waiver home care?

My spouse is also 15 my senior (78 vs. 63) and I am in the process of moving us from our dream home to a manageable small home near care providers in Cali.

I will say that if you two are having a lot of laughs, you do have blessings to count! Enjoy your LO as long as you can!!! I send you abundant good wishes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more