Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are there times when you just don't want to be around people with "normal" lives?

So I know we, as caregivers, should not isolate from others, that we need socialization etc. However, when our friends (large group of 12) got together for dinner at a restaurant, I just didn't want to go. I just did not want to be around people who have something to look forward to, can go places and enjoy their lives. I am not resentful of their happiness. It just makes it more painful to see what we have lost. Also, with the exception of one couple, none of these people have reached out to us by phone, visit or card.

Also, my DH was not that keen about going, and that solidified our decision to stay home.

Is this a common part of the journey?

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

my DW is not that bad yet other then short term loss confused easily, but I will say doesn’t like large noisy places and crowds.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it is Denise. I think you made a good decision, i bet your DH might have really struggled in a group that size and in a setting as chaotic as a restaurant. I know you feel the loss though.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Denise1847

I can't say if it's common, but my mom suffered with this in spades. We discussed her struggle with this many times. Five years since dad died, it still does.

FTR, my mom isn't a glass-half-full kind of thinker by nature. They were late in their 70s/80s before dementia took over their lives entirely. They'd enjoyed a relatively blissful retirement starting in 2000 and aside from being dropped socially in MD around 2004, which meant spending 6 months a year in Florida where she created a new social group before she had to move back to PA in 2016. She was pretty isolated after that, and when her friends did reach out, the conversations about their trips, wonderful Florida weather and high-achieving grandchildren (she has 3, one who is terrific, one who has made a complete mess of her life and my son who has autism) left her feeling worse than if they'd completely dropped her I think.

While it would have been tempting to point out that she had 15 years to travel to Europe if she wanted or that she enjoyed a kind of retirement I won't because of my on-going support of both her and DS, I feel she is absolutely entitled to her feelings. Loss is loss-- it's not a race to the bottom. I am sorry for the pain this causes you.

Sadly, dining out was something they had to pass on fairly early on. Initially, dad was socially unfiltered and often brought up divisive topics among friends he didn't know well so they were dropped. Later he couldn't follow conversation with more than one other person which was fine if that other person didn't mind listening to whatever monologue he was currently looping. Eventually, the experience was just too much in terms of the effort needed to showtime and the sensory overload so we stopped trying.

HB

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

As others mentioned, the challenges involved in taking your loved one with dementia anywhere restricts going anywhere. However, caregiver fatigue and depression come into play even if your loved one stays home. There’s also the fact that you just don’t have things in common anymore with others and it’s not fun to make small talk.

I would keep one thing in mind though- the dinner companions that haven’t called or visited may still be reaching out to you via the dinner. It may be more comfortable for them to talk to you in person at a neutral setting.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited November 2023

Denise I feel it is common, especially as the middle stages kick in. It's very difficult to be social when the pwd just needs to have a routine. My dw struggles at the mcf in large noisy groups. She will say I can't breathe and thats the sign she needs to be pulled back out.

And yes I find times when I don't want to do things because I get the same questions which leads me to try to explain the latest losses and I feel that brings everyone else down.

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I have a group of caregiver friends whom I have lunch with monthly. These friends have moved on with their lives in that they are either widowed or their LO is in long term care. They also are enjoying freedom to travel or do fun activities that I can’t because I’m still 24/7 caregiving. I have nothing to contribute to the conversation because they don’t want to hear it as they have lived it and are trying to move forward. On the one hand I am happy for them living their new life and letting me see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand it adds to my isolation and loneliness. I fight falling into my own pity party and faulty thinking that serves no purpose. It is sad to be jealous. What I have to decide is whether the “bond” we have as caregivers is really a basis for enduring friendship or is it a temporary fix while we all are suffering. What do you think?

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When in the throes of Alzheimer’s, my DH was exceptionally agitated with loud noise and crowds. (Ironic for a guy who coached basketball in large arenas with screaming and occasionally booing fans.) Even family gatherings of 7 or so were tolerated for only a short time. COVID put a stop to most stressful social situations and, yes, increased isolation. Since his passing, I have reconnected with several friends for leisurely lunches or visits. I’m grateful for the couples who still invite me out for nice dinners as a “plus one”. (My first lunch date with an old college buddy morphed into a 5 hour gab fest at Panera. Her long suffering hubby finally called looking for us.) There is still some semblance of a social life after Alzheimer’s; it’s just never the same.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I believe your insight is spot on. If you reflect on your past (whether it is work, school etc.) people come into your life for a season, based on mutual interests or circumstances. When the scenario changes, we drift apart, not selfishly, but because there is just so much time so they have to prioritize how they will spend it. I, also, drift into a pity party every once in awhile and I allow 5 minutes and move past it as it is very destructive. I also try very hard not to look back because it is too painful and it disables me like a broken vehicle. I surely hope that if I survive this, I hope that I am able to help others who are going through such distress and I always remember how I felt. God bless you and may your journey become peaceful for you.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

For me, realizing that being around people with normal lives is difficult was another one of those gut punches that happen along the dementia road. Much as I dearly love my husband, and my heart breaks for him, seeing the parts of my own life that are gone, or changing, or never will be takes a toll over time. Being with people who are living out the dreams we once looked forward to is hard - and giving yourself permission not to experience the hurt and bits of inevitable envy by staying away from certain situations, is actually taking care of your mental health. It feels like a loss, to lose friends or an evening of socializing, but it can be protective. Looking forward, seeking God's peace that passes understanding, are the only way I can stay in the moment.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

LindaLoise said:

“Being with people who are living out the dreams we once looked forward to is hard - and giving yourself permission not to experience the hurt and bits of inevitable envy by staying away from certain situations, is actually taking care of your mental health.”

You said it perfectly.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I am actually quite fortunate that no one has shirked away. In fact, DH's closest friends have stepped up to visit him on my behalf, as I have been staying away from visiting. (My visits to MCF were not helpful, to say the least.) In any case, DH was never much of a fan for socializing except with his close friends, while I'm more of the extrovert. And now that DH is in MCF, I still get invitations from his friends. It is I who have been turning them down for one reason or another. Truly blessed, though. I'm surrounded by my siblings and nieces/nephews and good friends who make sure I'm well. There's so much to be thankful for.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Denise I too think it’s part of this journey. I was the one that always enjoyed being around other people. Not anymore. Kinda like you in the beginning of this I used retail therapy, thank goodness that didn’t last long. I enjoyed reading my Bible, but for the last 7 years I study my Bible. So much I didn’t really understand but when sit, learning the Hebrew and Greek brings a much deeper understanding. So true fully I don’t miss being around other people. I try talking to my dh about something I didn’t understand, knowing he doesn’t understand a word I’m saying but he seems to be peaceful when I read to him or just talking about Bible.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Our ship of doing couple things sailed a few years ago. The guys in our couples group just didn’t know how to interact with DH. Once DH told one of them that he was having issues with incontinence. The look of absolute horror on his friend’s face was almost comical. I just let it go, but I did think to myself - just wait buddy, you don’t know what fate holds in store for you. Depends may be in your future as well!

Luckily the women in our couples group have remained true friends. I bring in a caregiver from time to time so I can get together with them. For me it is a form of therapy. I need that social connection time, and it’s a nice distraction from my daily caregiving grind. (Note - when I’m out with friends I try to keep the caregiving talk to a minimum. I am there to get a break from it so really don’t want to focus on it.). I also need some time away from DH to have a sense of balance in my life, and to decompress and regenerate for the next round of caregiving.

Having said that, I do feel a little blue when I see our couple friends getting to do fun things together. Just last week three were out of town, vacationing in Florida, Hawaii and the Bahamas. Makes me sad to realize how much DH’s health situation has taken from our lives.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Denise,

You expressed exactly what I have been feeling lately. We still do some socialization but I do find it hard to be around others who are doing things we dreamed of doing or we can't do anymore. Jealousy, as others have said, is not a healthy emotion but I notice I don't want to check Facebook or other social media for fear of getting into that mode. Thank you for your honest post.

• Denise1847

Hi Kibbee, I do think a part of people keeping their distance is related to the reminder to them that it is only a matter of time before father time catches up with us all. If they don't see it, it isn't really there. I get the discomfort of people. I wish I could get a caregiver in, but my DH is such a proud, stubborn fellow that he would cause a big fuss. He still is somewhat lucid but failing rather quickly this year. I suppose there will come a time when having a caregiver in won't make a difference to him, but we are not there yet. I am glad that you are getting out. It is really important. Stay well.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@Denise1847 I wish I had a magic wand I could wave to make it possible for your DH to accept a caregiver, so you could get out and have a break. The breaks I get enable me to stay on track with caregiving. For me the actual hands-on, day-to-day caregiving is not really that bad, because DH is an easy going and good-natured guy. The thing that I struggle with is the loss of my own freedom....that I can't just pick up and go on a whim, I always need to find caregiver help to be able to get a break. But the thing that keeps me awake at night is the sensation that time is slipping by. The clock is ticking, minutes and hours going by and I am getting older and in time will likely be less healthy and able. I hate the feeling that these precious early years of retirement, when I want to go and do and reap the rewards of my many years of working, are being spent sitting in one place.

A friend once told me that when we retire we have three phases ahead of us. At first we are in the Go Go years, when we are still physically able to get out and go and travel extensively. Then we hit the Slow Go years, when we still can get out but there are limits to how long and how far we are able to travel. Finally we enter our No Go years, where we pretty much stay at home, and seldom venture out. Unfortunately right now I am a wannabe Go Go person who is trapped with a No Go person. Sigh.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Little that I can add, so many hit so many points of sadness. So, my voice to the fray. My partner seems to be slipping between my fingers. Everything is a chore, for him to get through the social stuff, me to get him ready to go through the social stuff. Just too hard.

Kathy

• Denise1847

Hi Kibbee, I used to be a wannabe Go Go person, but I injured my back and after 2 surgeries, I have chronic pain. I used to try to still Go. I took my DH on a cruise in Dec. 2022 for our 50th anniversary and it was very challenging with his limitations. I think my Go Go just got up and went😀. I really have moved past my desire for travel. We went to Italy in 2018 before the fall and his diagnosis. I will always treasure those memories and am grateful that we had the chance to go.

Like you, I would just like to be able to go shopping by myself or go out with my lady friends. I know that one day I will regret wanting to do those things because he will be gone.

I know that this situation is unhealthy for me. Physically I feel like my body has aged due to stress and inflammation even though I exercise and eat healthy.

I am glad to hear you are able to get out. Stay well and take care.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Me too, Denise. I get it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia