Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pets and Dementia

My DW and I have always had pets -- cats and dogs. Our old, sweet last cat and our old dog passed away from cancer a couple of years before we moved and we haven't replaced them. I miss having pet energy in the house and now my DW doesn't really want them. She says she doesn't want to have to take care of them, as if that's even an option for her. She can barely still care for herself. I feel like they would be a comfort to both of us, but worry a little. Cats get so under foot and I don't want them making the house more dangerous for my LO.

Anyone here still have animals in the house? Should I just hold off? Amazing how paralyzed I feel sometimes about not particularly difficult decisions.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Our kitty passed a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 21. I had planned to adopt a new pet after our move in Fall of last year, but with how quickly my DH is progressing, I decided not to get one. Personally, I just don't think I can manage one more thing. And I have real concerns that my husband would struggle with it (things like getting agitated, tripping, or harming a pet by overfeeding it).

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner is a lifelong animal lover but this became a huge impediment as her dementia progressed. She overfed our animals constantly and would wander downstairs (without turning on any lights) in the middle of the night thinking that they needed to be fed. i had to hide the food, and arguments about driving to the store to buy more resulted in threats of violence. She would also do weird things like feed the cats birdseed and feed the chickens cat food. I would not subject yourself to any more demands right now, i think your instincts to hold off are correct.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We've had dogs for most of our marriage and have two 9 yr. old girls right now. H continually fed them food from his plate resulting in gastro issues and weight gain. One of the last things he was able to do was walk them. However, it was 5 walks a day even in the intense heat of the afternoon which I had to cut off. Most of these walks happened when he was angry with me. One girl did not want to go for every walk which made him angry. I placed H in MC 9/1. The girls have lost weight and no gastro issues. I'm glad I have my girls but would not get a pet.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

My grandmother overfed her small Maltese mix and, eventually when her delusions got the better of her and she was certain neighbors and friends were trying to poison the dog, stopped letting it go outside. Yes, she put puppy pads down, but wouldn’t change them very often. You can imagine what the floors eventually looked like.

When my mother and I stayed with her 24/7, my mother brought her small chihuahua and small Pom mix since they got along with her dog. My grandmother especially liked the chihuahua, but instead of petting her, she would slip her fingers under the dog’s collar and twist until the dog was choking. We had to keep all the dogs out of her reach after that and that would make her angry.

I agree with the others’ suggestions of holding off on pets while your plate is already so full.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This has been discussed many times over the past few years. Generally, the consensus is that having pets with a PWD has more negatives than positives. The problems I + others experienced were: overfeeding, aggressive behavior from the pet or the PWD toward each other. Letting the animal out of the house with no supervision, PWD eating the animal’s food or throwing it away. Tripping + falling over the pet. etc etc etc. My mother got explosive diarrhea + vomiting due to eating right after handling the dog + not washing her hands. That was the final straw for me. I was able to rehome her little dog with relatives, fortunately. She did not miss the dog for long, even though she was very bonded to it for years.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Definitely hold off. We have a 14 year old bishon, which is high-maintenance due to age and stomach issues. She cannot eat chicken so what does my DH do? You guessed it. Also, my DH wants to hold the poor dog like a baby all of the time as it may be comforting to him. I am unsure of how much she likes it. I could go on, but you get the picture. I will have no more pets after this.

• JudyVE
    JudyVE Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

My DH and I said good bye to our 18 year old kitty around the same time DH was diagnosed with Alz. A beautiful stray cat came into our lives not long after. When we couldn’t find his owners we adopted him. I think my DH is this cat’s favorite human. So far it hasn’t been a problem with the cat getting underfoot. This cat was an adult, not a kitten, when it came to us. I”m glad we have a pet my DH can enjoy.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

Not only do we still have animals in the house; we adopted two new senior cats less than three months after my DH's diagnosis. Here's the back story. Three weeks after my husband was Dxd with mixed dementia (AD and vascular) in mid-2021, our one remaining 14-year-old cat stopped eating. We had treated him for IBD for years; this was clearly a turn for the worse. He died less than a month later. I was already overwhelmed with grief for my husband, for our marriage, for every aspect of the life I thought we were going to have together in retirement. But I have lived with cats for more than 40 years, and living without them was just not something I was willing to do. So we went to our city's shelter (not a no-kill place) and brought home two new seniors. We had done this once before, from the same place. These two cats are the best thing in our lives. Introducing them was tricky and took time, just as it did the first time around, and they don't love each other like my last two did. But two years in, they tolerate each other enough to sleep in the same bed. Most importantly, the more difficult one of the pair adores my husband. He took one look at him and glommed on to him fiercely, and the love is mutual. It's true my husband can't really help with their care, except to refill water bowls. He doesn't feed them, and he doesn't change litter. But I don't mind doing it because I feel I am repaid in a million different ways. My husband is gentle with them both -- he was a longtime animal lover, and he still is. As I write this, my scrappy orange one is curled up at his side. He sleeps in his arms every night. He is the one person in the world who thinks my DH is perfect exactly as he is, as Bridget Jones would say. And that is worth everything to me.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I agree with tigersmom, I need a cat in my life. We had to put our 18 yr old cat down in early June and adopted a 3 yr old rescue cat. This works out for a couple of reasons, DH has never fed any of our cats except when I was traveling. I have always been the one caring for the the litter box except when I was traveling. So I have no concerns that he’ll be doing either of these things tho I do keep an eye out. And the rescue cat is still a bit skittish and seems to have an issue with men and especially with men’s shoes. So she stays clear of his feet reducing the risk that he’ll trip over her. I agree that it is wiser to not have pets with a PWD but if I am spending so much time stuck at home, I need a cat to pet and talk to.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I would hold off, but you may not have to for too long. The phase where the PWD is still mobile and able to find trouble is really hard with pets. My mother was constantly feeding the cat weird stuff and generally undermining care of the cat. And she couldn't read the body language and stop doing something the cat didn't like such as petting it the wrong direction. A year later her abilities had changed and even if she had she not moved to MC she still would not have been able to get to the kitchen herself and open a jar of salsa to put in the cat's dish. I am also an animal lover and agree that if it would bring joy to the caregiver it should be a priority, but you also don't want to create more headaches for yourself. I would aim to get a pet in the middle to end of stage 6 if it were me and not before.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I need a pet for love and company. Cats are easy, as you know. My DH offers weird food to one of our cats..but luckily cats won’t typically eat outside of a normal cat diet. DH doesn’t have access to the cats food-so over feeding doesn’t happen. At night, the dog sleeps with me and the cats have a chance to get petting from DH in bed. I see him talk to the cats and pet them in the night. I hope his brain is calmed when he does that,,,i think so.

I wonder if you could not make DW part of the decision and not engage in “i dont want to have to take care of it” (an unfound argument as we know care of a kitty wont fall to her). Her “no” is likely the mental stress it causes her with confusion, worry, etc of something new. I think you might sense when having a cat can be just a matter-of-fact “oh, that’s our cat”. If you need a fiblet, “it needed a safe happy home and being good cat parents in the past, we were chosen”…..

My only concern would be will she let it outside? I live in the country and that means coyotes and hawks.

If it doesn’t feel right then it’s not right, right now. But I’m sure pets will be in your life again sometime ❤️🐕🐈

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago, now at stage 6.5, and is currently in Home Hospice care. I know for a FACT that if I did not have our dog here with me I would have perished. I have a 7lb Maltese who is the sweetest, most perceptive creature I have ever known. He reads my emotional state like a book and takes care of ME. He sleeps with me at night, spooning me in the most gentle, caring way. He watches my face during the day to gauge my emotional state and at this point is "Velcro" dog, which I love. There is a good, sound reason that therapy dogs are taken into dementia care facilities to visit patients. They serve a real benefit, bringing a connection to those in an altered mental state that cannot be explained. Your wife's attitude to the subject of a pet would most likely change once she had one in her lap. I can only urge you to seek comfort for yourself with a pet. You have to consider YOUR needs as well.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I bought a litter robot this weekend. I need the dang cat! I miss having one so much and cats give love back, which I so desperately need right now as my DW moves more into her own world. I think a dog at this point would just be too much.

Hugs to you all.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I think having a pet is probably a case by case thing. Our springer spaniel, Lilly, is essential for DW's mental health and mine. Although DW describes her as "my dog", she can't keep track of Lilly's needs, except she does walk her. In fact, that's one of the few activities DW can do regularly, so Lilly provides a focus. Meanwhile I do the feeding (DW doesn't know how much to feed Lilly, what kind of food she eats, where we keep it), keep track of Lilly's meds, walk her occasionally.

Lilly is a cuddly velcro dog. She always wants to be near us. She curls up on the sofa with us and sleeps in our bed. I find it soothing to pet her. Lilly is smart, so she probably knows something is a little off, but it's hard for me to know for sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more