Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Things I'm learning or learned from this journey

I want to pass on my belated condolences to those who have lost loved ones since I posted last. I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy for your loved one, who is now at peace.

Fellow warriors, I've been thinking about what I've been learning during this horrible journey, I felt compelled to write some of it down.

I'm learning patience. I've never been a patient person, I'm the type that eats going from chore to chore and sits for 2 minutes and then jumps up to start the next chore. I'm learning that I need to slow down to make sure hubby eats his meals. Sometimes he won't eat without being prompted for each bite, sometimes he won't eat unless I physically feed him. I'm learning that I need to take a breath, tell myself it's ok to just sit and wait for him to chew and swallow.

I'm learning that what he does is not on purpose and I can't get frustrated. I want to jump up and down and scream and yell when he can't or won't swallow his pills or food. Or he can't help moving items from room to room, or dishes from one sink to another, making a mess, even if it takes me 2 days to reorganize.

I've learned that if my carpet isn't vacuumed or I have an inch of dust everywhere, it's ok. No one is judging, no one cares. As long as hubby is clean, healthy and happy and I'm healthy and (sort of) happy, everything is ok today.

I've learned that I can stand more than I ever thought I would. I never thought I'd be able to clean a grown man's rear and the bathroom because of a smelly nasty mess, but I do. In fact, 2 years ago, I said that was going to be one of my breaking points, but I'm not broken and I'm still going. So far, the only thing I still cannot do is handle his dentures with ease, lol, that's my Waterloo today.

So fellow warriors, what have you learned that you can (or can't) do in this journey? Are you surprised by your strength or weakness?

Thanks for reading, take care of yourselves and don't forget to breathe.

Texoma2808

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m nowhere where your at yet but this group does give you strength

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

It is encouraging to see what people are gaining through this in all the losses I feal. There are always gains and personal growth in situations but sometimes we just don't see them.

Thank you

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I have learned patience. Like you, I was never very patient and it has been a process but I am a lot more patient now, especially with DH. There are times when he thanks me for my patience, I’ll joke about how I have slowly learned to be patient. I will say that in the earlier stages of this disease, my impatience was from my denial of his dementia. Getting the diagnosis and finding acceptance has helped with my impatience.

Like Denise, the other major change for me has been my faith and my relationship with God. My journey back to my faith and my religion started before DH really was showing many symptoms. But as DH progresses, I find myself turning to God more and being amazed how He is there for me. I am so grateful. I would hate to be on this journey without God’s help.

I'm also becoming more flexible. Recently, DH has been more confused, sometimes he knows me, sometimes not. Sometimes he’s in the midst of a delusion, sometimes not. It’s getting easier to wait till he speaks and then respond accordingly.

I'm still struggling with accepting the long term nature of this disease and not really knowing the timing. DH is mid stage 5. One day at a time.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I too am learning patience….; I also like the wonderful tips and tricks that are shared here. I have started taking notes for future issues such as layering the bed for nighttime, I put steering wheel locks on our cars and told my HWD/Alz that we are getting a car insurance discount for using them, I pick up latex gloves from the store from time to time and building a supply for when needed. So many things that are not in the books or training videos. Thanks Texoma for starting this thread

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I've learned I'm much stronger than I thought I was. I'm doing things I thought I would never be able to do.

I am however, not sure how much longer I can do this but I have felt that way so many times over the years and yet here I am... When I saw all of this coming down all I wanted to do was run but I'm not the running type. I could never abandon my DW during the worst moments of her life. I've learned I'm only human but us humans are capable of more than we think.

I've learned that I can be at my wits end over and over but we still carry on one minute and one day at a time.

Thanks for this post!

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thank you so much for this post! Your comment about the veil being lifted and seeing what is important really resonated with me and I so appreciated you putting this into words.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I, too, am learning patience. It's a process. Ha!

The bigger one for me is how I've learned to just let things drop that I might have argued with my DW before. To realize I could have done this all along and avoided useless arguments is enlightening, embarrassing that I didn't get that before, and a rather remarkable release of old, unhelpful habits and ways of being.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more