Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The struggle with acceptance and clarity about dementia's effects on our lives

2»

Comments

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Incredibly perfect response. “The only way I can get out is to walk through it to the end. I have faith i will.” This is what I’m feeling too, at only 14 months in.

@storycrafter it doesn’t matter if other people understand. If you have friends and family who stay in touch just use their attention for yourself…go out, visit, chat about other things OR ask them for a day or half day of respite. Invite them to sit with your hubby. You don’t owe any explanation.

This has been the greatest thread I’ve read on this or any forum. I think we’ve cracked the code of honesty about what caregivers of spouses with dementia suffer.

Sending love to all of you!

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My DH is still independent however the changes are obvious on a daily basis. DH has always been a workaholic and not good at expressing any type of emotion other than sarcasm. I am 53 and DH is 60. He has not accepted what is happening and does not want me to tell anyone what is going on. Of course this is not something we can go through alone. The main thing people say is yeah I forget things too that’s normal. Or they spend a short time with him and think he seems just fine. What they don’t realize is he has no idea what their name is or any real memories of how they know each other. He is very good at show timing and avoiding topics he doesn’t remember or if it gets confusing he stops talking and just listens. Our youngest son lives out of state and doesn’t notice anything when we visit for a week at a time. I did tell him on our most recent trip that his dad doesn’t remember our daughter in law or our 2 grandkids names. And the game he plays with our granddaughter that has animals on it that his dad has no idea what any of the animals are called it is basically a matching game. Other people can’t see what we see on a daily basis. This journey is as they say the long goodbye because we are losing our LO and the future we thought we had a little at a time. A fear of the unknown and what will be left for the survivor at the end. We begin the journey silently grieving and letting go as soon as we hear we are dealing with a neurodegenerative dementia.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Here is an interesting site to read about grief. It may help with the journey we are on. I personally find that I think I am through a certain stage like anger and on to acceptance when the next day I am raging inside at the pain, isolation and the ongoing struggles of the disease. Hope this helps.

Speaking Grief | There is no step-by-step process

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am so impressed with how articulate and thoughtful you all are, and I resonate with so many things that have been said. One of the things I realized with great sadness is that I went from having a partner to having a dependent. Over the years DW and I evolved into patterns of who does what and "how we do things." DW can only do some simple things now, and she doesn't remember how we do things. Example: Our town has curbside single stream recycling. (Everything in one bin.) DW can't keep straight the difference between trash and paper that is not trash.

Only someone who has experienced caretaking for a PWD can really know what we know. We were away for the summer a couple of years ago. When we got home, our across-the-street neighbor asked me, quietly, if DW was okay. I asked what she meant. She said DW seemed a little off. I had noticed changes over the summer, but the neighbor picked up on it right away. It turns out that her father had Alzheimer's, so she's very tuned in to the changes. Needless to say, she is very understanding as well as being a good sounding board.

DW didn't want me to tell anyone about her Alzheimer's diagnosis. For that matter, she refused to believe it herself, saying the people who administered the tests are a bunch of quacks. The irony is that, while she couldn't see the behaviors in herself, other people could see them. Usually the other people are afraid to ask if something is wrong, but they can tell something is a little off. In occasional moments of clarity, after I've explained for the umpteenth time that, yes, we're married, we bought and moved into this house together, she will say, "What's the matter with my brain?"

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited December 2023

Laney i think you are exactly right that a sense of humor helps a lot, and I am blessed that my partner has retained hers even as she enters stage 6 in memory care. I would be open with your family for your own sake, this is a very lonely journey for a spouse. I think most don't have a clue and don't know how to help. I say that kindly, I don't think it's deliberately mean spirited, but it's beyond imagining unless you're living it.

What a powerful thread, storycrafter.

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I understand the denial blaming the person doing the test did something wrong. When DH can’t name the animals in the tests he says it’s because he never studied animals or really got into knowing anything about them so that’s why he doesn’t know them. He has an excuse for a lot of things and guess what…none of it is his fault or caused by this disease

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

25 years ago when my husband and I said those wedding vows. In sickness and in health. Did my 25 year old self know that my then 34 year old husband. Was going to have stroke at 55 years old. No I didn’t. That in 2022 he would be diagnosed with dementia. No I didn’t. Would it have changed me saying those vows. No it wouldn’t have. Dementia is not something Richie did to me. It is something happened to him. It steals his childhood memories. Takes away his memories of reciting those vows to me. Will take away the memory of our only child. Our granddaughter he won’t remember either. Then the day will come. Where he will need around the clock care. After that dementia will take away his life. Leaving me with memories of my husband. That dementia took from me. That is what I can’t accept.

• Dunno
    Dunno Member Posts: 47
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    edited January 6

“One of the hardest things I can think of offhand is that we slept in the same bed for 50+ years together, snuggled and connected in every way. We haven’t been together in the same bed for over two years.

"Friends/acquaintances who say, ‘Oh, she seems really good."........ goood grief

• AlzWife2023

I haven’t even read past the sentence where you write “he is 92 and I am 63.” I had to tell you that my DH is 80 and I’m 51 and we’ve been together 33 years.

• AlzWife2023

Grief is truly an experience and not a process with steps and stages!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

No need to be ashamed. Shark guy had a similar thread recently. No one's business but your own IMHO

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DTS you mentioning playing catch with loved one reminded me of something. Think its’s great you thought of that.

My Aunt had dementia and i would ġo visit her and go with her to activity time. Another patient that would frequently be there always just sit with her head down and never appeared to know what was going on to me. One day the activity, Director was just tossing a ball to the residence and they would toss it back. She went and tossed that ball toward that lady and I thought why is she doing that.? Much to my surprise the lady picked her head up, caught the ball and bounced it back. I was so surprised. All the residents seem to really enjoy that activity. After activities was over I mentioned to that lady how surprised I was that she caught the ball. She said she always loves to play ball and that she had been an architect. Always liked when family brought in pictures and left in room it helped me to know the person better i was taking care of. If they asked me anything about my job i would always ask about their career. You just never know.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 6

@AlzWife2023 , I am with you 100% with just accepting my DH as he is any given day, loving him, and staying close. Stage 7 is moving fast. The decline in just the last 2 months is shocking and sobering. And terribly sad.

As for your post, I don't know if I read that one, but I am not able to reply to most things I read here most days, just given how much my DH's condition is requiring now. I am sorry to learn that by not commenting after viewing it might be interpreted as criticism or something else negative by the OP. That is not the case. It is only a function of my having hands full more than ever with his high maintenance needs. No judgement at all.

And your longing for a real relationship again - we get it. I also miss my beloved and sometimes really, really wish there was at least a special someone I could confide in and trust with all the ups and downs of this dementia journey that I am trying to survive-- like my DH and I always did. But that feeling is quickly suppressed by the urgent demands of this Alz daily grind. And my heart that is otherwise on "pause". That is not healthy long term I think, and definitely encourage and applaud anyone who is open to finding a new spark.

• BugJ.
    BugJ. Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Storyteller,

I totally understand your thoughts. For me it was talking to my family about my DH diagnosis and asking them to get educated on it. Fortunately everyone is very open to the education. My DH is somewhere between stages4/5. He is still able to have meaningful conversations with me. We talk often about what is to come, and what he wants to have happen.

I found that self care is so very important. Talk to friends, family, co-workers. It really helps.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more