Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question: Memory Care versus Long Term Care Capabilities

I am wondering how well memory care facilities handle the last stages requiring total care. Is a patient transferred to a long-term care facility? I understand that hospice takes over the process, but is more skill required, more in-depth care?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Denise i think that is a question to ask as you screen facilities, but in my experience most are prepared to let people stay and pass away without another transfer, usually with hospice help. A focus on comfort usually simplifies things and other than medication management does not require more expertise.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Most of the MCs I toured could manage aging in place with hospice help. One also had a very nice skilled nursing unit on the next floor. Definitely ask how they will manage progression.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Dad's MCF allowed "aging-in-place" with the proviso that family would need to bring in additional help-- sometimes in the form of hospice services, sometimes family care and other times in the form of private aides. They did have a SNF on the same campus to which some families elected to transfer. My aunt was in a CCRC; she transferred to the SNF about a year before she died to get more "hands on" kind of care. This meant things like actually brushing teeth vs "prompting" or "assisting". They did allow her to spend the afternoons in the MC unit for meals and activities which was the best of both worlds.

My dad's MCF was planning to have a hospice evaluation for him the day after he died. He died from complications of aspiration pneumonia before we needed to bring in additional help.

HB

• Babz0226
    Babz0226 Member Posts: 52
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DH of 55 + years and 77 years old is touching stage 7 and home with me. I would like to keep him home and bring hospice in my home, is that something I'm wishing for and has anyone actually been able to do it or should I in reality have a plan B like many people are telling me???????????

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi BAbz, absolutely you can do hospice at home and you do not need a doctor's order to start the process, you can call yourself tomorrow and ask for an assessment. They can offer tremendous help.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Denise - I think it's a facility to facility type of thing. Where my DH is, I was told that he'd be moved to skilled nursing care once he needed total care and no longer wandered. Since he's been there (22 months) I've seen a couple of residents moved from memory care to skilled nursing. DH is still in memory care, and he's been total care for the past year. I like the people (residents and staff!) in his corner of the facility, and I think they're keeping him where he is because I'm there so often, but it probably has just as much to do with the fact that they don't need his room for someone else. Hospice has been onboard for over a year.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all so very much.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is well into Stage 7 at her MCF. Almost all residents their are given full care there until the end. There are only a few reasons why a patient would be moved and it has to do with what an MCF is not licensed to provide care for in my state, basically a few cases that require continuous medical supervision. In cases like my DW, they recommended hospice but don't require it. They also never require any family provided aides. They do everything and she needs complete care including hand feeding and using a hoyer lift to move her from bed to a wheelchair. There are currently several residents at her MCF in the very last days of care.

At DW's MCF, hospice doesn't take over per se, they add another level of care that is more advanced in nature. For instance she has had several sores that the hospice nurse initially treated and then gave directions to the MCF aides to further treat with the oversight and regular visits of the hospice nurse. Although hospice often provides care such as assistance with bathing, at my DW's facility the MCF aides just keep doing the bathing and don't bother asking the hospice agency to send someone.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Babz0226

There are members here who opted to keep the LO's at home until the end by engaging hospice and/or other in-home help as needed. @jfkoc and @LadyTexan are two people who come to mind.

My dear friend was able to keep her mom at home with home health aides and hospice for 4 months. Her mom also had breast cancer that wasn't being treated which complicated her care.

That said, it is always important to have an executable-on-the-fly Plan B just in case. I would tour MCFs and SNFs and become familiar with the application and financial situation so you have a top 3 options should you need to decide in a hurry. At a certain age, we should all know which SNF we'd want to be discharged to if we had an accident or illness that required rehab anyway. When there's a PWD to consider, you need a back-up plan to provide care and safety if something changes like an escalation in needs for him or an illness/injury that prevents you from focusing on him. If nothing else, you need to have a plan in case you are among the 1/3 of caregivers who die before their LO.

HB

• Babz0226

I know in my heart you are right. I will check them out in case but hoping to keep him home time will tell.

Thank you for the important feedback I think I needed to hear it from here and not people that mean well but really have no idea what I want.

• JanDap
    JanDap Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment

ME TOO--only my husband is 78 and stage 6+. I put him in MC for 2 months this summer and took him out. I did not like what I saw for those people who were further along and needed hospice care. I figure I will need a plan B in case he needs a wheelchair sooner than expected..... I think it depends on how 'friendly' your home is to possible wheelchair and getting help. If he can no longer feed himself or bear weight, those are 2 signs more help is needed. I plan to keep looking at places just in case...

• Babz0226

This is a journey for sure I just wish the journey ends in our home. I can wish right?

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Babz— just a little note of encouragement. I wanted to keep my DW at home all the way to the end of her illness, and we had home hospice for the last three months of her life. She died in her own bed, in her sleep, peacefully. I hope for the same ending for you when you get there.

• Babz0226

Oh! Thank you sooo much. I hope it can be that way for my DH. I might sleep a little better knowing it really can happen for some people and I know not all people with this difficult disease. I don't know my future but I have some hope, Thanks again, really needed to hear a different take on the whole process that I want for him in the end.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more