Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clean house!

Judy.T.
Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I know you will understand. Last night was a tough one. My DH was trying to clean his dentures. He shook them and they flew out of his hand into the tub and cracked a tooth off. I am loosing my mind! At 3am I was thinking, and googled chipped tooth on dentures. Found you can re-glue it with a kit. 4am I put on gloves and am starting to go threw the garbage to see if I can find the chipped piece. When the smell from the trash can was unreal. Moved a plastic bag to find my DH had urinated in the trash can. Thank God it was double bagged. Tossed the bags (tooth chip not worth looking through that, and I wouldn't put that back in his mouth anyway) I then cleaned and disinfected both bathrooms. Since I was on a roll, I cleaned the kitchen & even got to vacuum the living room.

My DH "helped me" by shredding a cardboard box into tiny pieces. He is into that right now. It keeps him busy and seems to make him happy. Does anyone else's LO do that? He will shred paper towels, Kleenex, cardboard, envelopes and even the bills. I think he is just trying to do something with his hands.

I now have a clean house. It actually gave me a calm. Got to go for the small victories.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank heaven for small victories, right! LOL - good for you to at least get a clean house out of the ordeal.

My DH went through the shredding phase but eventually started eating the paper, napkins, washcloth fibers, labels -- whatever. That "hyper oral" thing is dangerous.

So, just when he was at the stage that I was going to try a fidget blanket, I have to keep things out of his hands completely.

• Judy.T.

Good to know. I had no idea shredding thing was a thing. Thanks for the heads up on the eating "hyper oral".

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just wanting to let you know, Judy, that you are not alone in the "lost denture" hole. My DH lost his (I personally think they went down the toilet) and I did the same thing as you with the gloves. They sadly were never found and several months later we are about to get them replaced. I've been cooking soups, stews, etc. for so long I don't know what chewy food looks like anymore <kidding>. The only silver lining has been that he had recently had a couple of teeth pulled so they were going to have to make him a new one anyway.

And I also feel you on the cleaning binge. Sometimes I clean because it's something I CAN control in a house that seems to be more crazy than not most days. I can't repair his broken brain, but I can make sure the laundry is done.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited January 8

Judy, my wife seemed to always be messing with her dentures. She only had them on top, but one day there was a tooth missing. She didn't know what happened. Money was tight, so I called dental labs where they make dentures, and one place agreed to fix the denture if I would bring it in. It was fixed for $100 cash instead of having to pay a dentist a few hundred plus the cost of repair. It might be something for you to consider.

A short time after having that done, she lost her dentures. That just meant more steak for me until we found them in the car a couple of weeks later.😁

• Judy.T.

Ed thank you very much! Will be looking int this. Not only for the price, he could not sit through getting a new pair, nor could he tell how a new pair is fitting. I believe my only choice is repair the tooth.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more