Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New here

Stan2
Stan2 Member Posts: 72
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Y'all, I was just sitting here having a pity party when i found this site.

I read many of your comments and much of the advise given and already feel a bit better.

My DW who has been my partner for over 50 years is somewhere between stage 4 and 5. I feel very fortunate in that she voluntarily stopped driving a couple years ago, although she was the office manager for our business before retirement she had no objection to me taking over our finances. She also allows me to track and dispense all of her meds. We will actually go along a couple days with no indication of alz then suddenly she will forget that we went to town earlier today and who came over last night and ask 5 times within an hour whether we bought bread.

i do attend an in person caregiver support group and a couple of the more experienced in the group have said they feel like they have lost themselves, that they feel their caregiver role has taken them over. I am starting to understand their feeling and I want to avoid the feelings of bitterness I recognize in them.I was just wondering what some of you who are in this 24/7 situation do to keep yourselves sane. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome aboard, Stan. Sorry you need a forum like this. Do you have family nearby? If so, maybe you could have them stop by just for some conversation. I was one of the lucky ones here who had family come by often. Our kids would also stay with my wife if I wanted to do some shopping or whatever. This was huge for me. Please never refuse help, and don't be afraid to ask for it when you need it. Taking the help does not mean you are weak. It means you are smart.

• Stan2

Thanks Ed,

My daughter does live close and comes by frequently, but she has a career and a family also, and I don't want to lean too heavily on her. Thanks for your comment.

• DaughterofLO
    DaughterofLO Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

If you are able, look into companion care for a few hours 2-3 days a week. Someone that can help look after your DW and free you up to continue doing things you love. It will be a little up front work getting the right person and building trust among all of you but worth it. As she declines, increase the outside help. It’s a horrible disease and no one’s fault. Whatever you can do so that you can see her as your wife and not just someone you take care of may help with future resentment. Also, any house work that you are able to offload to outside companies (cleaning, yard work, meal prep services) is worth it though I understand a luxury that’s not always possible. Help from others in any way will help with the exhaustion that comes from looking after a LO. Wishing you all the best.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My wife sleeps all morning but I need to be here when she wakes up so I have got a wood lathe and make bowls, bowls that no one needs or wants but it is therapy for me. I have an alarm on the bedroom door that rings where I work and cameras in the house so I know when she gets up and I can come in and help her with meds and something to eat. I do that for me but the house work suffers and I am OK with that.

• avieDa921)
    avieDa921) Member Posts: 43
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My therapy for coping with my DH (6 years ALZ) is music. I play the guitar, ukulele, banjo, pan flute, harmonica, banjo, violin, casio. Since he is getting worse, my time of playing is shorter because he always wants to interrupt me with questions. I try & play everyday, playing one instrument. I need this & won’t give it up. Helps keep me sane! I can’t remember what it’s like to have a normal life!

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44

Stan, I too went to an in-person group. One day I was losing my mind and said just about the same you just commented. A younger man who was taking care of his wife & parent responded. "Don't feel guilty about calling your son for help. He would much rather get that call and listen and help then get the call when you are crying at a total lose." This statement has stuck with me. I now call my kids (37 & 34) Our son will stop by after work for half an hour so I can go for a walk or run to the store. Half an hour once a week will do your mind great. He actually feels better that his is helping. Give your kids the chance to help.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I live in a remote area without resources of any kind basically. My children live in other states. I have a horse. She’s my salvation. She lives ten minutes away at a friends place. My routine is to go there every day for nearly two hours. (I clean stalls and groom and play with the two horses and goats). So far DH is ok with that since I’ve been doing it for years. I can’t go out and ride like I used to because then I am gone too long, but I do hop on her at my friends house now and then. That’s my slice of heaven and peace. I miss the trails.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Oh, boy! I am sitting here having the same thoughts. Is this how I will live the rest of my life? I really have no answers, but I appreciate how well you've articulated our shared dilemma as 24/7 caregivers of our partners. I am young 951) and would like some more form life.

It seems to me that in a true extended family situation, caregiving would be shared and the whole experience would not seem so catastrophic. Sadly, most of us are doing this alone and the occasional visits from family or relying on strangers for paid respite care is just not sufficient for us to retain a life of our own or sense of self. Sorry for the pessimism.

FYI DH is 80, probably early stage 6, obvious symptoms for 3-5 years, diagnosed 18 months ago with Alzheimer's.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Maureen, These are excellent suggestions. Thank you!

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 355
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My DH is 92 with ALZ Stage 6 and multiple co-morbidities. I placed him in his current AL residence seven weeks ago today. Prior to that I was his only caregiver for seven years, not even realizing that I was dealing with the early and middle stages of ALZ. I still find myself at the facility 4-5 days a week being way too involved in his care for my own good.

I have found that having a creative outlet and a physical outlet are both necessary for my sanity. My creative outlet is quilting, making baby blankets for a charity that distributes them to the NICUs at local hospitals. My physical outlet is walking, preferably the local trail, but around the block multiple times or even as a last resort in bad weather, a treadmill. When DH was at home and still able to use a phone, I would carry my cellphone and do yardwork and garden, and he would call me if he needed me. I also keep classical music on nearly all the time and read in the evenings (don't watch TV).

Having said all that, I had a pity party this morning, feeling sorry for myself because I have no real in-person friends, and neither of us have family willing to help at all. Over the years I lost myself to caregiving and isolation. I will be attending a monthly caregiver support group starting next week and hope that I can gain some perspective on what my role should look like going forward. Right now I feel very lost and lonely.

• Stan2

I expect in the past when several generations of family lived together in the same household the caregiving was shared among several people and was probably just accepted as part of life. Sadly the way we have "progressed" that situation is the exception. In my case my daughter is actually the only adult person we even know in our town. She does help me as much as she can but she has other obligations as well. Sadly , most of the folks in the "in person" group I attend are in the same boat. They are new to town , don't know anybody, and now find themselves the only care for a LO.

I know things will change as we go down the road but at the moment I consider myself fortunate. My DW is aware of her condition , she accepts it and is an active participant in her care. my biggest problem for now is allowing her to feel some independence and feel that she is contributing but still watch over everything she does. I am trying to use this "good time" to educate myself and prepare for the future but I do take time out once in a while to feel sorry for myself.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Stan, I love your comment on this “good time” It is so incredibly scary about the what to expect days, months and years ahead. My DH is able to go about his daily life quite well. But, I would not leave him alone now that I know what could happen. It’s remarkable how they shift between ok and probably not ok. So I try to fill his days with fun and at the same time I’m running myself into the ground doing everything he wants to do. When I get to my limit, I sing (usually loud, hope the neighbors don’t hear) Singing keeps me from crying and my DH seems to be amused. We keep the good times rolling for as long as possible, for our peace of mind and precious memories to endure , I think.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

That's awesome! I can't unhear it (and will probably end up using it myself).

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

FWIW, I second the notion of accepting help from others you trust whenever/wherever. It's a lesson I must learn over and over after being on my own with no close family nearby for the first 3 years of this. As my DS put it, "Mom, you've got to learn to accept help". I'm so fortunate that it is even offered and available.

And as for keeping my own sanity, I am a fan of singing, too. Not at home but I do belong to two different choral organizations. The help I accept is to allow my DS and DDIL to keep an eye on my DH so I can attend the rehearsals and concerts. I practice on my own at home, too, but hopefully no one actually hears me. Rehearsals account for about 2 hours each for a total of 4 hours a week. It's a godsend.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more