Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Toilet hygiene

My DH sometimes had soiled pant or sheets at night, as a result he started to use depends disposable pull ups at night. He gets confused and puts them in the wash or hides theme!The worse problem is that he is not cleaning himself properly after

pooping so disposable are dirty!

Any ideas how to get around that problem? I have put a of water in the bathroom but he doesn’t use the water! Anyone else experienced this? He is able to do daily activities by himself and go to gym in the community!

Thanks

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Sunshine I was watching a careblazers video yesterday about hygiene---have you considered a bidet? the problem is that you may have trouble teaching him to use it (just like he has no clue about the water you put in the bathroom) and at some point you will probably have to supervise his toileting, and that may be another battle. Maybe if you look for other careblazer videos or Teepa Snow, they will have other suggestions for you.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is the same. I usually have to supervise and tell she needs to wipe again and sometimes again. She gets highly annoyed by me telling her but it has to be done but it's getting harder and harder as she becomes more confused.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Is anyone with him at the gym?I f he has hygiene issues at home, he probably has hygiene issues at the gym. The gym I frequent has a family locker room for this purpose.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

I will look into careblazer & Teepa show, thanks

yes, he goes alone to gym but not for very long, mens is right next door to gym.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Remove the toilet paper and replace with wet wipes would be one suggestion. There is no way around it: you are going to have to figure out a way that you can supervise.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Does he drive to the gym?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited December 2023

By the time our LO are needing incontinence underwear they probably need supervision in the bathroom. My DH, around stage 6, rarely goes into the bathroom by himself. The used incontinence underwear are likely to end up in the toilet if he does, or not changed. He’s been urinary incontinent for well over a year and occasional bowel incontinence. I usually sit on a small folding chair by the toilet and talk to him while he’s doing his thing. He doesn’t talk back much anymore and it’s always a whisper theses days. But I just yack away and he usually seems at least somewhat interested.

I bought a Dekor classic diaper pail with liners which is pretty discreet and sits in the corner behind the toilet. It contains odors and is simple to use.. I got it on Amazon. Once I had all the supplies and had a system in place it isn’t a big deal. Bowel incontinence can be more challenging but it gets easier. Thankfully he is usually cooperative as long as I stay calm. It isn’t his fault. It is what it is and we just have to make the best of it.

• sunshine5

No, it’s in our community- on a different floor

• sunshine5

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage