Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this Sundowners?

Last night I was completely caught off guard. My DH was admitted to the hospital for sepsis and UTI on Sunday so he could get IV antibiotics. He is being released today. Some confusion being here, but nothing major. I went home to feed our dog and shortly after getting home he called frantic because he was thinking we were in our old house hundreds of miles away we left 20 years ago. And there were 3 strange women wanting to do heart surgery on him. I hurried back and for the next 8 hours he thought we were in a horrible motel, didn’t know his dogs name, thought we were in the middle of moving, annd wandering around the room, etc. I’m truly surprised he knew me. This has NEVER happened. In the last 6-8 months he has moved into the next phase of obvious short term memory loss and hard time with comprehension and I know being here has created some more confusion. But last night was like a bomb going off. I keep hoping getting him home will make him back where he was? And I was awake all night and should I call his dr now about getting a prescription for something?

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Maybe it's hospital delirium. My DH gets it every time he is in the hospital. He will think he's on a boat or an office or in a basement. Nothing makes sense. It usually lasts until he gets home.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I agree with @easy23 hospital delirium is real and stunning.

My friend's husband, who didn't have dementia, was like nothing I'd ever seen in the hospital last summer. He called hospital security and told them his wife was stealing his drugs to sell and demanded they search her tote bag which had only her iPad and a bible in it. The next day, he escalated and called 911 on her.

He'll probably improve once he's home, but maybe not to the stage he was prior to the infection.

HB

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think you may be correct. A nurse just told me the same thing. We are being released shortly so I’m hoping home is going to be where he needs to be. I had never heard of that before.

• trottingalong

I had never heard of this before today. I believe it’s what it must have been. Very disconcerting.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

FWIW, my DH experienced SERIOUS hospital delirium and within a few days of discharge to home he was back to baseline in that regard. Same with another elder family member (non PWD). I guess you never know.

• trottingalong

It’s all new to me. I’m happy to have my DH back

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Definitely hospital delirium and the UTI.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I agree. The cognitive after effects of a UTI can last a while too and are much the same as hospital delirium. It’s frightening that UTI’s can cause so many other problems.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Another thought is to keep a supply of UTI home test strips on hand. AZO is the brand we use and you can get them from Amazon or some pharmacies. Any time my DH is acting more confused or agitated than usual, I get a urine sample and test it. If it’s positive I take a sample to the doc or urgent care for an antibiotic and they send it out to be cultured. The test strips seem to be accurate unless you only have a drop or two of urine. Then they often show a false positive. You need a couple tablespoons at least.

• trottingalong

thank you. I had no idea you could get these.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Years ago my DH with MCI had been hospitalized for heart stent placement. During the night he pulled out his IV lines, his ekg leads and his urinary catheter. He was looking for his clothes to go home. He was bleeding all over the floor and it was quite traumatic for him. I took him home in the afternoon and he was back to baseline.

• trottingalong

That would have been traumatic. My DH is so much better tonight than he even was this morning. More the standard of what he was prior to going to the hospital.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’ve experienced hospital delirium with my husband as well. Never knew it was a real thing. I keep learning on this forum….thanks all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more