Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lequimbe

C_M_D
C_M_D Member Posts: 4
First Comment

Hello. I'm new to the group and I'm hoping for advice and information as I navigate this new life with my LO. A year ago at 59, he was diagnosed with MCI. This has been going on for four years now, and in the last six months it seems to be progressing quickly. The dr wants to start him on Lequinbe but he hasn't had a neuropsychologist test, and I'm afraid this is much farther along than MCI (the drug is only give in the early stages of the disease). Has anyone had experience with this drug?

Thank you!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. More and more new folks are coming in with stories similar to yours and being offered the new drugs, but I'm not aware that many have actually enrolled. I think there is a lot of worry about the potential serious side effects, and much practical concern about the challenging logistics of taking someone with dementia for biweekly IV infusions that they won't comprehend or cooperate for.

• C_M_D
    First Comment

Thanks. Yes, from the response here, it looks like there hasn't been many who have tried the drug.

• PJ52
    PJ52 Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes

I, too, have been searching for others who have used it. We are struggling now with making the decision about starting lecanemab (Leqembi) treatment. The statistics show high risks for little benefit. And DH has the genotype APOE4, which increases the risks. But is otherwise a good candidate since he is in good health and early stage.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We have a friend whose husband is a few months into Leqembi infusions. He has early stage Alz. He hasn’t had any problems so far and since it’s early in the disease he seems to be well aware of the logistics. I know he had to go through a lot of testing and scans before the treatments started and being approved. He and his wife both have a positive outlook.

• aconite
    aconite Member Posts: 30
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
  • Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH was offered the new drugs but he refused. He has no insight into his illness (anasognosia) but also the administration of the drug/s requires so much from both of us (IV infusion every other week until it no longer delays progression, plus labs on a regular basis). There is no way that I could convince DH to present for this, he would forget the why and argue each time. It would be a fight and a scene every time.

This has been our decision. You must decide what's right for your family!

• BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm curious. Why Leqembi? There are two other amyloid busting drugs, neither of which require 2x month infusions. Also, if your father has 2 copies of the APOE4, I doubt he would be allowed to receive the drugs.

If he has only 1 copy of the APOE4 gene...I bet they would allow it.

• C_M_D
    First Comment
  • Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I believe lecanemab (Leqembi) is the only amyloid-beta reducing treatment available now. Aducanumab (Aduhelm) was the first FDA approved treatment but it's effectiveness was not proven and it may no longer be available. Bad Moon may be referring to treatments that may be approved in the next few years.

As far as having two copies of the APOE4 gene (APOE4 homozygote), the latest article in Alzforum indicates that this is a risk factor for a bad outcome when undergoing Leqembi treatment.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/community-news/brain-woman-who-died-leqembi-shows-worst-case-scenario

• ImMaggieMae

There is apparently a demand in some parts of the country for the treatment.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/community-news/rising-leqembi-prescriptions-are-straining-clinic-capacity

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks Maggie, very interesting article. That's still glacially slow use for a new drug: only 2000-3000 patients nationwide six months after approval. Other important points-about half of non-Medicare insurers are still denying coverage (bad new for early onset victims, since Medicare doesn't kick in for SSDI recipients right away).

• ImMaggieMae

I thought that number seemed low too, but in the case of the friend who is receiving the drug, approval and all the red tape moved glacially slow as well. It was well over 8 months of tests and more tests, trying to get insurance approval, etc. before the infusions actually started. I’ll be interested to see the numbers 6 months from now.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Last neuro appointment I asked about lequimbe since I wasn't sure the aricept was doing anything. She was very strongly against it. Felt it hadn't been tested enough, that the value was questionable, that the side effects were huge. There is more that she said, but my notes are two floors down, ant it is almost midnight. How lazy is that, hmmmm? Kathy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more