Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Extreme young onset Dementia

Hello everyone, i am officialy diagnosed with early young onset dementia probably alzheimer's disease my case is unique because i am only 23 years old male and a medical student by career i am thinking to continue or leave medicine my symptoms are killing me, here are my symptoms currently:

1-frequent urination 10 times per day
2-extreme apathy(first symptom)
3-moderate to severe short term memory impairment
4-hypersomnolence
5-nocturnal insomnia
6-sleep cycle disturbance
7-binge eating
8-irritation by loud noise
9-frequent post prandial diarrhea
10-nausea after meals
11-constant mild headache
12-mild long term false memory
13-hypersexuality
14-unusual tendency to scream
15-reaction in inappropriate times
16-personality changes
17-behaviour changes childish
18-language changes reduced fluency
19-moderate disorientation to place
20-social disinhibition
21-social withdrawal
22-frequent flatulence
23-difficulty in understanding
24-delayed imagination and perception
25-repetitive behaviours
26-confusion at night
27-difficulty in learning new things

I really need help, i am living in iraq with poor income and there is no hospice for me in iraq is there anything i can get benefit?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Amr. I'm sorry that you are dealing with so many disturbances at your young age. Your case sounds somewhat like mine, but I was in my late 30's when my symptoms began. After much investigation, it was determined that I had an autoimmune disorder, systemic lupus. Lupus can cause many disturbances. Years later I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and sleep apnea.

Can you explain how you were diagnosed with very early onset dementia at age 23? Had you been well up until recently? Is there any history of head trauma or drug use?

Have you undergone extensive testing for diseases, including for various parasites and for autoimmune diseases?

Since you are a medical student, can your professors be of help to you? If there is an Alzheimer's Association or Society in your country, you might call them and ask for advice. Please post again and update on your progress.

Iris

• Amr Raad Rafat
    Amr Raad Rafat Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

In the begining doctors misdiagnosed me with psychiatric disorders like depression,anxiety,schizophrenia,ptsd and psychosis it was a long tough journey to get the final correct diagnosis i visited 8 doctors for evaluation they said different things and inknew they are wrong i did pet scan for myself and some of them agreed i have early dementia, i did other tests all of them are normal except MRI,PET,EEG. I dont have history of substance use or head trauma and there is no dementia organisation in my country. Did you retired from your job? How are you now??

• Iris L.

Hello Amr. It sounds like you have had a great deal of testing. How are you able to live? Are you on any medications? Are you able to take care of your daily needs? Can you prepare your meals? Can you travel? Do you drive? Do you handle your own bills and other financial affairs? Do you live by yourself or with family? If you have dementia and are unable to function, you will need to make plans for your future.

There is an organization called International Alzheimer's Association. There are chapters in many countries, but not in your country. The closest are in Jordan, Syria and Iran. The website address is www.alzint.org. They are located in England. You might go to that site and look for a chapter close to you, then email or call for help in making future plans.

After much testing over several years, my neurologist determined that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease at this time. I continue to have problems with memory and a few other areas. I had to retire from my professional career because I couldn't keep up. But I have been able to make accommodations so that I can have a more functional life.

Iris

• jrnyon
    jrnyon Member Posts: 6
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Hello Iris, did you have a cerebrospinal test to see if you have Apoe4 gene? That is how I was "diagnosed" with Alzheimer's...do you know if that is the typical screening that most people get, or are there other methods? Thank you for your information. Karen

• Iris L.

Hello Karen. I believe I had a cheek swab or saliva test for genetic testing. I never had a spinal tap. I am APOe4 positive.

Alzheimer's Disease is diagnosed by ruling out all of the many medical causes of memory loss. Imaging studies, such as MRI or PET scan, may confirm the diagnosis in advanced cases. Neurocognitive testing is necessary to confirm that there is a dementia. The patient must progress over time.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi Karen,

I had a lumbar/spinal done two times. The protein was high and when they did this again a few month laterI think it had increased quite a bit. Again confirming that I have EOD. I also had 2 neurocognitive testing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more