Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Frustration and denial

Hi, I’m new to this group and I was wondering how do other people cope with the frustration and denial that arises from oneself by living with a spouse with mild cognitive impairment. Communication has progressively declined. It’s like we speak 2 different languages and this sparks confrontations. He is in denial of his memory decline and I am in denial as well.
I feel as if my floor has been taken from my feet when I realize and know what is coming. I know it well because I’m a nurse and have cared for dementia patients for a long time. You would say well.. she knows how to deal with this, but no, it’s a total different ball game.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited November 2023

Jo: your husband likely has anosognosia, which is the inability to recognize one’s deficits, and is due to brain damage from the pathological process responsible for the dementia. You likely have cared for a stroke patient with damage to the right hemisphere (usually) who subsequently neglects their left side - this, too, is a form of anosognosia.

no amount of convincing or presenting ‘evidence’ can persuade the person with anosognosia that they have impairment- they think they are fine and will strenuously object to these efforts; typically they refuse any kind of help.

If you go to dailycaring.com and put anosognosia in the search function, you’ll learn ways to deal with this exasperating problem.

ps. I’m a nurse also, and did not know about anosognosia when I started the journey with my husband; I did know about left neglect.

• bubblegummom63
    bubblegummom63 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi!

I know the frustration. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in January 2020. He started this phase in 2022. He now has started with Sundowning Syndrome. You may want to look this up now. It is a worse nightmare. I found out he had this last month. You need to have a very good schedule in place plus a very good night time routine. My biggest issues at time is he isn't sleeping, he becomes angry easily, he attacked me physically twice last night, he talks alot, he can't sit still for very long. He is going to a facility today which specializes in geriatric dementia and Alzheimer's.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to all three of you new folks. joe, there is so much sadness in the realization that you are losing your partner and can no longer relate in the ways you used to. This forum can help give you a new outlet for thoughts and emotions that you might have shared with your spouse in the past but can no longer do so.

Mhaley, your husband sounds like he has a lot of apathy and loss of executive function. I'm sure you are learning that you can't ask open-ended questions like you used to.

Bubblegummom, you should talk to his doctor about medications that will help with sundowning and aggression, there is definitely help to be had.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Going through basically same situation as as you I’ve learned lots from this group and it’s anosognosia not denial with spouse. My wife knows she’s off but says everyone is at our age 76,

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

We are dealing with MCI. We are both still working. DH says this has not impacted his work but I don’t know how it isn’t. Most days I notice issues a lot and other good days I think maybe he isn’t as bad as I think he is. Some days I will talk to him about someone we know and stuff they did. His confusion about who I am talking about sometimes makes me wish I didn’t say anything because it’s more work explaining who people are than the story I was telling him.

this disease sucks and we are just beginning

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Everyone will tell you you can't have a rational conversation with someone who's irrational. One of the hardest things is to let go of being right. (Sometimes I succeed. :-) As long as the PWD is not doing something that is a health or safety risk, you try to go along.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

1074 jash,

Hello, Is your husband still driving?

• 1074Jash
    1074Jash Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
  • Bubalee
    Bubalee Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    ES my DH
    How in world do y deal with ??
  • Bubalee
    How in the world do you handle repetiveness and forgetfulness in DH???
  • jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My husband also gets very angry when I try to explain something that he is struggling with. Then, I really let what I read many times sink into my “I want to be right” brain - (You cannot reason with him. It’s not his fault that he has no ability to listen to reason anymore.)

Distraction has become my friend and ends many situations about to escalate. And it only took me 9 years to finally get decent at distracting him (and it works most of the time).

I know the anxiety and stress these episodes bring. I’m sorry we have to endure them, but read about solutions and give them a try. 🙏🏻

• 1074Jash
    First Comment

I really feel for you! Right now my husband is going through a phase of talking too much and not recognizing social cues that people are trying to escape from him. I have had to rescue a few. However, I know the time will come when he will stop talking and that will be heartbreaking.

• 1074Jash
    First Comment

I'm trying so hard to stop pointing out repetitiveness and forgetfulness to my DH. It only upsets him and I am gaining nothing by it. I need to adopt the theme song "Let it Go!"

• Bubalee

Help me with distractions . I get so overwhelmed when he repeats things that I already know married 56 years!) he talks like we do not know each other and he explains everything in detail like I was not there! My brain almost wxplodes

• Bubalee

I can’t call his attention but spend hours just listening and that sucks all of my energy

• 1074Jash
    First Comment

Oh my gosh, I get it! The distractions I use that work so far are asking him to help me with a small chore such as changing a lightbulb, folding laundry, and yes, I save things like that for him to do. I recently found a box of his old record albums in a closet, so I borrowed my SIL's record player, and I'll ask him to try out some music. He loves music, so this one is easy. He just doesn't think of it himself. 2 nights ago, I got him to clean out his 2 sock drawers and that took him 2 hours. We're donating them to a men's shelter. Does this help?

• jsps139_

I once read … “if they can’t come to your world anymore, you go to theirs.” So, I try to act like it’s the first time I’ve heard it, and I engage in his conversation. I really look at him, and I have so much empathy for what he is going through. If I sit there talking to myself about how aggravating it is to me, I really don’t see him. But, if I stop and look in his eyes, and listen, and comment when appropriate, we have some nice times. Tiring …. Yes. But that’s ok.

• jsps139_

Sometimes I take short videos (a couple 20 second videos) of him repeating everything (he doesn’t even notice that I am recording it) and then I look at the video every once in awhile. It is heartbreaking to see, but it also helps me understand how hard this disease is on him.

• Bubalee

I do the same thing especially when he is ranting and raging! just drains me!! Too much sometimes!

wondered if others dealt with this.

was thinking about getting therapy for myself!

• Bubalee

Just today DH told a story that he had written a check to a friend for $40 and friends wife changed to $400! I verified with friend and friend said no check was ever written. I recorded that conversation as he told it. He fabricated this story! I have noticed other instances but this worries me!

• Bubalee

This does work and I must be rested and be available. We can talk for hours!! And I get no work done! He wants me in bed to cuddle at night and I have lost my work schedule! I used to work all night crafting and sewing!

• Bubalee

Me too. When I am tired and overwhelmed I almost explode especially when conversation is negative!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Bubalee, the making up of stories like the one your DH told about the check is called confabulation, and it is very common as the disease progresses. Again, it is generally not recommended to correct or deny, but just go with it with nonspecific responses. My partner is now entering stage 6 and very little that she says has any basis in reality now.

• Bubalee

Wow! I know of another instance but this one got me!

what can I do?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney