Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An hour alone.

Hello all. I find that I am frequently looking for time to myself, I have so many “ things” I want to do. So today, my DH decided to take a nap, he thinks the Aricept makes him sleepy, and off he went.

I have had almost 2 hours to myself, quiet, with the dog, in front of the fireplace. What have done? I went back thru some of my dementia books looking and highlighting better phrases to use when speaking to my husband, I researched future books to read on Dementia, and I sat here going thru this forum.

What am I doing? I could sew, I could clean, I could sort and organize, nap….. but the disease I hate, that has taken my best friend, is stuck on my mind and I just want more info. When will he get worse, how do I make decisions when he is still have aware ( but making bad decisions), what is the next step, how can I help him, how can I be a better caregiver, how can I be more organized so I can continue to work and care for him too… and on and on and on.

I am not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, I just sometimes feel like I am on an island on my own, and don’t know who to share with. My wonderful friends and family can’t really understand. I don’t know how to turn off the “ dementia train” running thru MY brain.

Comments

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

It trys to consume us. I find myself doing the same thing...just sad.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I hear you! I do the same. i just hired a part-time companion for my husband so I can get some "me" time back. It's so hard.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace be with you 🙏

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Katielu, I often do the same thing. It’s like we can’t ever get away from it. I wake up halfway through the night when he’s asleep and read medication studies, info on forums, etc.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Katielu, don't beat yourself up about that "to do" list. We caregivers get so little downtime, and what your soul is telling you is that you just need time to think and recuperate without taking on additional new tasks. We're coming up on two years in MC, and I still do the same thing: caregiving still requires most of my physical and emotional energy, even though we're not living in the same household any more. Glad you had that precious two hours, and hope you find more of them.

I used to pride myself on being a master multitasker, but not any more. Life is forever changed and changing.

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Thank you all, life “ on the island” is less lonely when others understand.

• Bubalee
    Bubalee Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I don’t do what I love because I can’t get my schedule organized! I am a seamstress and sewing is my passion

DH has prostate cancer (S4)and I think MCI. I need to talk to somebody outside family. I have a lot or resources also but not using to help me. Hours listening to same stories! Repetitions galore and I forget ; and get entangled in arguments. I forget!!!! Dementia not diagnosed by Dr.;

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I do the same thing, Katielu. In my case, I think it is my attempt to control the uncontrollable. Somehow I (illogically) think that if I learn enough about ALZ then I will be prepared for anything or at least able to better help DH in our journey through this hellish nightmare of a disease. Like M1, despite DH being in AL, most of my physical and mental energy is consumed by caregiving. I spent most of today with him (it is soooo boring there on the weekends). Counting drive time, that was over 5-1/2 hours. By the time I got home late this afternoon, I didn't want to do anything but put my feet up and shut my eyes.

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Fmb,

yes, I want to control it all, so I keep looking… oh well. At least I am learning along the way.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hi Katielu, we get you. We've been there. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing what your natural instinct is driving you to do, to learn as much about this disease as possible and be prepared. Arm yourself with knowledge. When all's said and done, you will start focusing on caring for yourself, and should. I found that once acceptance sunk in, and I gave up wanting to control things I couldn't, it was much easier to cope with the situation. May you find peace in the days ahead.

• Bubalee
    Bubalee Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

That is exactly how this high energy girl feels! Exhausted!

• Windsock
    Windsock Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Good morning Katielu,

I totally relate. Knowing I need time to just relax, spend time reading or some kind of meditation. But so often I’m researching this devastating decease instead. I’ve started to force myself to allow me time when I have that precious alone time.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ditto ditto ditto to what everyone has said. Whenever I get some spare time it always seems to be researching, planning, etc etc. I used to be an avid reader. Can’t seem to focus anymore. I sometimes get a few minutes for the wordles quordle etc. I tell myself I’m working to keep my brain sharp which has become much more important!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more