Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Faiths roll in my journey

My DH was diagnosed about 5 years ago. As all of us know it’s been a challenging, sad time in our lives. I’m 11 years younger and still working and at this point need someone to be with him at all times. I’m blessed to have a friend from our church who stays with him a few days a week so I can go to work when I have meetings and can’t work from home. What I wanted to share is how Faith and getting involved with a church has helped us in so many ways. My DH didn’t have a lot of friends because we were best friends and never needed lots of friends. The ones we did have didn’t want to be around us as much as they used to because of his disease. It’s sad but true. Once we found a church home and started going regularly everything changed. We suddenly had a whole new family of loving friends and my DH loves getting dressed like he used to and going to church. My strengthened faith has taken me from being bitter, angry, anxious and depressed to being full of joy and able to take care of him with vigor and love. I still have weak moments but don’t know how I would have made it this far without my faith. I know there’s a long way to go and things will probably get worse but with our church family and God’s love I feel confident I can stay strong. I don’t know if this will help anyone but thought I’d share.

Comments

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for your inspirational post. The only comfort I have is this wonderful forum and lately yes, I have been relying heavily on my faith. My DH would never go to church but I have been considering going back to a formal setting as I too feel it would help. I agree that turning inward and tapping into your faith will dispel some of the anger issues that arise. It all ties in with empathy and a kind heart and I personally will take all the help I can get. I strive every day to put myself in his shoes but I fail miserably a lot of the time. 💙

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I pray for you to find the peace I have found. Somehow receiving a level of acceptance has helped me work everything out.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That is wonderful news! I'm glad you found a place where you can feel comfortable. Keep it going.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I do relate! Without my faith, I’d crumble. Especially as the loneliness sets in. Couldn’t do without faith, family, or the church family.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Faith helps me through too.

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH and I have been members of the same church and Sunday School Class for over 30 years. The church family knows he has Alzheimer's, and they knew him many years before. They are kind and patiently listen to him, even when it takes a long time for him to express himself. Men in the church will pick him up and take him to men' s activities. Being involved with a church is a blessing for him and me.

Also, I find the daily devotions from Guideposts useful. They have one called "Strength and Grace" specifically for caregivers.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

thank you for this post. It’s funny because a while back my husband said we should go to church. We haven’t gotten around to it yet. We were never consistent churchgoers. I do talk to God every day and he is helping me live the journey. I think I will make an effort to get us there.

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I would really encourage you to make the effort. It has brought so much newness and joy to our lives that for me has been long gone. This forum is wonderful but having real people to share the journey with has provided me with a different kind of strength and my husband loved always having something to do. Knowing jesus is with me in every moment carries me through my toughest days. Good luck to you!

• Sitemsek
    Sitemsek Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

Amen to that! I can't imagine going through all this without our church community.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more