Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Christmas tree still up!

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I'm sure the neighbors are wondering why we haven't taken it down. We had several light-up decorations up over Christmas and my DH took it upon himself to turn them on in the morning and turn them off at night. He took this task very seriously and I was concerned when Christmas was over that he might be upset taking them down. But he did help me take down most of it when I explained Christmas was over. When I started on the tree and his favorite light-up house, he put up a fuss and wanted to leave them up (luckily it's an artificial one, lol). So I guess they will be up for quite some time, maybe till next Christmas! I can't worry about what people think - it's worth the little pleasure he gets from it.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It’s also beautiful and calming.

• MariaCSL-NH
    MariaCSL-NH Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

My tree's up too. Hoping by the end of February we'll put it away.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I took down the fake trees but still have up the real tree. Makes me happy and I, like you, don't care what people think xo

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I remember a couple of years ago when a member said her husband loved the tree so much that she left it up throughout the year. I think maybe she decorated it for different special occasions and holidays. It worked out well for them.

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My husband is in Memory Care. The people living across the street put up the most spectacular decorations this year. After Christmas I knocked on their door. The man came and opened it and I began to thank him for his decorations because I didn't put many up this year...becasue....sob sob....my husband....sob sob is next door in memory care.....boo hoooo.....and turned and walked away. A few weeks later he eyeballed me from across the street and yelled, "hey how you doing?" I walked over and apologized for my outburst of tears and he said he appreciated my telling him about they joy I found in them.....and that his wife wished she had met me.....she's disabled. What a lovely ending...I move my husband to skilled nursing Friday so I won't see the decorations anymore. The End. You enjoy your decorations for as long as you like!!

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

i vote to leave the tree up❤️❣️

• annie51

That's a great idea! Hopefully he'll let me take the Christmas ones off first. 😊

• annie51

Thank you Anne for sharing that story. My heart is with you.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Our tree is still up. As long as she likes it's, I couldn't care less how long it stays up.

• Chloe mom
    Chloe mom Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

This was the first year in our 27 years together that my husband helped pick out the tree, decorations and helped put it all together. It meant so much that I hated to take it down. It gives me good memories for the future of what we were able to do together this year if next Christmas is harder.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more